• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

my birds in china (1 Viewer)

1) Bit tricky with the lighting, clearly a Phyllosc, a pure guess based on shape, colour and apparent jizz would be Eastern crowned, but lightened photos would help.
2) Yellow-billed Grosbeak
3) Brown Shrike
4) Possibly Himalayan Cutia?
5) Another Phyllosc - any more images?

Do not both leaf warblers look like Eastern crowned? with the strong supercilium and eyestripes, markings on the wing, orange bill and crownstripe?

I am sure the more savvy people will drop in and help out

but please: add the province in the title of the thread! that helps a lot

cheers,
G

Hi Damooni and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

1. Looks like Pale-legged or Sakhalin Leaf Warbler (pale pink legs). These wouldn't be separable from this photo.
2. Agree Yellow-billed (=Chinese) Grosbeak.
4. Like Andrew suggested, I think this is an Azure-winged Magpie, with the photo rotated through 90 degrees.
5. Looks like Eastern Crowned Warbler to me. There seems to be a central crown stripe and the undertail coverts look very yellow.

3. This is an interesting bird. Brown Shrike would be by far the most likely species based on range. But the plumage tones (bright rufous upperparts, whitish underparts), relatively brown mask, pale lores and pale bill put me in mind of a Red-backed Shrike, which would be a very good record. I'm not sure whether some of these are due to photo artefacts, though. Do you have any more pictures of this bird?

1. Looks like Pale-legged or Sakhalin Leaf Warbler (pale pink legs). These wouldn't be separable from this photo.
2. Agree Yellow-billed (=Chinese) Grosbeak.
4. Like Andrew suggested, I think this is an Azure-winged Magpie, with the photo rotated through 90 degrees.
5. Looks like Eastern Crowned Warbler to me. There seems to be a central crown stripe and the undertail coverts look very yellow.

3. This is an interesting bird. Brown Shrike would be by far the most likely species based on range. But the plumage tones (bright rufous upperparts, whitish underparts), relatively brown mask, pale lores and pale bill put me in mind of a Red-backed Shrike, which would be a very good record. I'm not sure whether some of these are due to photo artefacts, though. Do you have any more pictures of this bird?
3. It's a juvenile/1st-w Brown Shrike John, pp way too short (only 5 p tips visible) for RBS.

Agree with the others.

Grahame

Sorry, this is still not identifiable with the new photograph. Pale-legged and Sakhalin Leaf Warbler are identical in appearance - you need the call or song to be able to separate them reliably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back