• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Myiobius atricaudus snethlagei (4 Viewers)

"Carlos A. de Camargo Andrade, naturalista-colleccionador do Museu Paulista ... "

Side note. Dichotomius (Dichotomius) camargoi was named after him. p. 88 here:

Dedicado con todo placer al Dr. Carlos Amadeu Camargo Andrade, Director de la División Insecta del Departamento de Zoología, Secretaría da Agricultura, del Estado de San Pablo, Brasil, por todas las atenciones tenidas para con nosotros durante la estación en ese Departamento de Zoología.

But of course not a bird, but a beetle.

PS. In 1908 her Nephew (Emil) Heinrich was only a kid (and still in Germany). ;)
]

But in 1938 it is still possible that Pinto contacted him (e.g. for advice, manuscripts from him or her aunt etc.). But I agree it is most likely a dedication to Mrs. Snethage.

Last edited:
"Snethlage's Myobius"

Regarding the original Topic of this thread; the subspecies Myiobius atricaudus snethlagei HELLMAYR 1927 (a k a "Snethlage's Myobius") ...

Maybe worth considering is the Plant/Scrub "Torrubia Snethlagei"* (here), described in 1936, by Paul C. Standley, based on specimen collected in Maranhão ..., 31 July, 1923 by "H. Snethlage", published in a publication from The Field Museum (in Chicago, USA), which is the same Museum where Hellmayr worked as Curator for many years (1922–1931).

Possibly (?!) indicating that the bird in question was aimed at Heinrich ...

If it truly was? Who knows?

Björn

Also compare with other Plants, with the (generally, expected masculine) name snethlagei, like (for example/s):

• the flowering plant "Monstera snethlagei" K. KRAUSE 1925 (here, requires log-in to read Online, OD on pp.272-273): "Nordbrasilien: Maranhao, Igapowald (E. H. SNETHLAGE n. 327 — blühend am 14. November 1923)". [blühend = blooming]. Same thing said here (for the Type itself): "Collector: E. H. Snethlage, #327", "Collection Date: 1923/11/14" [a synomym of Monstera obliqua MIQUEL 1844 (in Araceae)]

• the tree/plant "Aspidosperma Snethlagei" (Fr.) MARKGRAF 1927 (here, same login required, OD on pp.118-119): "Nordbrasilien: Plauhy, S. Filomeno, auf der Chapada, 350 — 600 m. ü. M. (blühend 12. Juli 1925 — HEINRICH SNETHLAGE n.676)." [m. ü. M./ Meter über Meer = Meters above Sea (Level)] [a Synonym ofAspidosperma macrocarpon VON MARTIUS 1824 ... ?]

... or (simply to make things a bit more hesitant, less obvious) with the:
• the Shell/Mollusc "Happia snethlagei" BAKER 1913 (here): ... "sent from the Goeldi Museum, by the Director, Dr. Emilia [sic] Snethlage, to whom the species is dedicated."

As we know by now the Director of that Museum was Madame Emilie Snethlage [a k a "Emilia", in some (South American) texts, or (in the Family/among friends) as "Mila"]. Evidently those snethlagei Plants were aimed at Henrich, contrary the Shell/Mollusc which was meant to remember his well-known Aunt.

I guess it all boils down to if Hellmayr himself would have coined a scientific name ending with an -i, for a female dedicatee? Which, like I said, I hesitate (or, at least, feel a bit reluctant) to believe. Normally, in most cases, Hellmayr seems to have kept the genitive endings in order.

Compare with (for examples); Chapman's Swift Chaetura chapmani HELLMAYR 1907, or Berlepsch's Canastero (Thripophaga) Asthenes berlepschi HELLMAYR 1917, commemorating Frank Michler Chapman respectively Hans (Hermann Carl Ludwig) Graf (similar to Count) von Berlepsch versus the two subspecies "Calospiza gyroloides catharinae" HELLMAYR 1911 and "Dysithamnus mentalis emiliae" HELLMAYR 1912, commemorating his wife Catharine, respectively Emilie Snethlage!

On the other hand, one might also consider the fact that Emilie Snethlage herself coined the name "Myiobius erythrurus hellmayri" (here) in 1907!? Maybe the "Myiobius atricaudus snethlagei" HELLMAYR 1927 simply were a favour (a thank you) in return? Either to Emilie herself, or to Heinrich alt. to the Snethlage Family (as a whole)? Thereby, if the latter, also including the (among Ornithologists) fairly unknown Nephew ("H. Snethlage")? [A, if so, expected, more appropriate, plural form (like snethlageorum, or similar) not taken in consideration].

Thus, the question remain; would Hellmayr choose to call this bird/ssp. snethlagei if he intended it for Emilie herself? When he'd already (15 years earlier) had coined/used the name emiliae, in her honour!? To me it does look like the latter bird was aimed for (Emil) Heinrich Snethlage. But if it truly does I cannot say. Not with a/any certainty. Not without a clear dedication, This far I wouldn't dare to claim either way.

Well, this is as far as I can reach on "Snethlage's Myiobius" (Myiobius atricaudus snethlagei) HELLMAYR 1927 ... take it all for whatever it is worth.

And; good luck in evaluating it.

See you all elsewhere!

Björn

PS. Maybe also equally noteworthy, is that quite a few of Hellmayr's names, ending with -ae, (like aroyae, bahiae, mexicanae, roraimae, etc.) are toponyms. I guess he wasn't all that strict with his Latin endings. ;)

[In those latter cases one would expect the ending/s -ensis (or similar, like; -anus, -icus, etc.). Or wouldn't one?]
--

Last edited:
PS. Maybe also equally noteworthy, is that quite a few of Hellmayr's names, ending with -ae, (like aroyae, bahiae, mexicanae, roraimae, etc.) are toponyms. I guess he wasn't all that strict with his Latin endings. ;) In those latter cases one would expect -ensis (or similar, like; -anus, -icus, etc.). Or wouldn't one?

"-ensis" would have been a choice, but I wouldn't say it's mandatory for toponyms.

Also, Bahia and Roraima (and Aroya, too, if that's a place name) are feminine in Spanish so treating them as feminine in Latin is reasonable, it seems to me. But mexicana is a different situation as it isn't based directly on "Mexico". It's the Spanish adjective "mexicano/a", presumably Latinized and used in the feminine because the genus name is feminine.

Just some additional bits and pieces, left behind ...

Miriam Junghans. 2016. Among birds and net(work)s: material and social practices in the trajectory of ornithologist Emilie Snethlage (1868–1929). HoST – (Journal of) History of Science and Technology, vol 10 (No.1)pp. 71-101 (here, see foot-note, p.75):
Emil-Heinrich Snethlage (1897–1939) studied botany and zoology at the universities of Freiburg, Kiel, and Berlin, where he graduated in 1923 with a work on ornithology. In the same year, he arrived in Brazil and travelled across the state of Maranhão along with his aunt. Between 1924 and 1926, he worked for the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago as an ornithologist, traveling the states of Maranhão, Piauí and Ceará.

... with reference to:
Mere, Gleice. 2013. Emil-Heinrich Snethlage (1897-1939): nota biográfica, expedições e legado de uma carreira interrompida. [Emil-Heinrich Snethlage (1897-1939): Biographical note, expeditions and legacy of an interrupted career]. Boletim do Museu Paraense Emílio Goeldi. Ciências Humanas, vol. 8 (no.3), pp. 773-804. (here, in Portuguese)

Also see:
Fernando C. Straube. 2017. Ruinas e urubus: Historia da Ornitologia no Parana, vol 7, Período de Chrostowski, 3 (for the years 1910 to 1930), vol. 7 [Hori Cadernos Técnicos 13] ... which does mention the bird in Topic (here, see foot-note, p.253):
Myiobius atricaudus snethlagei é alusão ao seu sobrinho Emil Heinrich Snethlage, de relevantes préstimos à Ornitologia do Maranhão, Piauí e Ceará ....
/B
--

Last edited:
Very similar wrote Stresemann in his obituary (#1) about Emil Heinrich Snethlage. As well the connection Hellmayr Snethlage was described there (but all in German).

HBW Alive Key updated, amended, and split into two entries:
snethlageae
Dr Henriette Mathilde Maria Elisabeth Emilie Snethlage (1868-1929) German ornithologist, pioneer field worker, collector in Amazonia 1905-1929, Director of Goeldi Mus. 1914-1922 (subsp. Campylorhamphus trochilirostris, Conopophaga, subsp. Hemitriccus minor, syn. Odontophorus gujanensis, Pyrrhura).

snethlagei
Dr Emil Heinrich Snethlage (1879-1939) German ornithologist, botanist, collector in Brazil, nephew of Dr Emilie Snethlage (Martin Schneider in litt.) (subsp. Myiobius atricaudus).

... which I think might very well be all correct, regarding dedicatees, synonymity, etc. etc. But, James, not regarding the protonym of Emilie's "Odontophorus gujanensis snethlagei" PINTO 1938 (OD in post #19).

Now the heading/s doesn't match!

Or?

/B

James, quick as ever, "abracadabra" is the word!

Key re-updated into:
snethlageae
Dr Henriette Mathilde Maria Elisabeth Emilie Snethlage (1868-1929) German ornithologist, pioneer field worker, collector in Amazonia 1905-1929, Director of Goeldi Mus. 1914-1922 (subsp. Campylorhamphus trochilirostris, Conopophaga, subsp. Hemitriccus minor, Pyrrhura).
snethlagei
● Dr Emil Heinrich Snethlage (1879-1939) German ornithologist, botanist, collector in Brazil, nephew of Dr Emilie Snethlage (Martin Schneider in litt.) (subsp. Myiobius atricaudus).
● Dr Henriette Mathilde Maria Elisabeth Emilie Snethlage (1868-1929) German ornithologist, pioneer field worker, collector in Amazonia 1905-1929, Director of Goeldi Mus. 1914-1922 (syn. Odontophorus gujanensis).
Deed done, peace an harmony rules.

Björn

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back