• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery woodland bird, West Wales. (1 Viewer)

elhix

Hi there,
In the last few days I've had three sightings of a bird I can't identify at all, here are the facts:

Area: mixed woodland/farmland although the sightings were at my house which is on the edge of a wood.

Size: I'd say slightly larger than a Greater Spotted Woodpecker, less sleek with an almost dove-like roundedness...

Colour: it was difficult to get a clear view due to a bright sky behind but a mottled pattern in with very light to dark brown I think.

Flight: a rolling flight very similar to a GS Woodpecker

Song: varied calls, noticeably louder than and distinctive from all the other birdsong.

I didn't see a long bill, the tail was of average length. Time of sightings: varied through the day.

Can anyone suggest any possibilities? I'm pretty sure I'd know if I saw a photo/drawing. This one has me completely stumped and refering to the books for the first time in ages.

Thanks!

Definitely not a Jay. No green and more portly than a Green Woodpecker with a different song - more melodic and varied than the yaffle. Somewhat woodpeckery though, especially in the flight and scampery behaviour in the trees.

There were two of these birds, I got the impression they might have been a pair.

Maybe, the colouring was about right although I got the impression on distinct barring on the head and the birds were very much in the trees, never on the ground. Will try and catch a better look if they come by again, or a photo.

Haven't seen them again today but I'm starting to think the Mistle squad might be right - nothing else I've heard of fits the description. I guess I was confused by the fact the birds were in the trees and moving around like tree-based birds too; I associate thrushes with the ground but then I imagine most I've seen have been Song Thrushes.

I'll still try and get a better view and a photo. Be good to confirm.

Mistles feed mainly on the ground when eating insects, but for eating berries, they go up in a tree, and for singing, high up at the top of a tree is very much the preferred location. They also use trees a lot for a refuge when flushed off the ground by dogs, people, etc. :t:

My first thought from reading the description was Little Owl.

Mistle Thrush is perhaps more likely but I thought I'd throw it into the mix just in case.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back