• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Namibia / Lark (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Hello everyone,

I think this is Fawn-colored Lark, but I have my doubts. Any ideas please?

Thank you,

Jose

Attachments

• P1080199.JPG
    P1080199.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 38
Only been to Nambia once, so no expert, but I think it is probably Sabota Lark. Chunky bill, compact shape, strong super creating capped appearance, malar stripe and lack of rufous in wing. FCL does not have a malar stripe and should show more rufous in wing.

Thanks do much, Jon (y)
I really appreciate the detailed feedback.
Cheers.

Only been to Nambia once, so no expert, but I think it is probably Sabota Lark. Chunky bill, compact shape, strong super creating capped appearance, malar stripe and lack of rufous in wing. FCL does not have a malar stripe and should show more rufous in wing.
And perching up like this is another characteristic of Sabota.

Sabota is probably the most commonly seen lark in Namibia (for me at least :LOL:) and as previously mentioned that strong and long white supercilium and the presence of a malar and sub-moustachial stripe and the lack of rufous in the wing makes this a Sabota. This lark comes with a whole range of bill lengths and thicknesses, so can quite confusing when comparing to another seen in a different area of Southern Africa. The density and hue of breast and nape streaking varies too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back