• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need advice on what to do about a new feeder that's not drawing any birds. (1 Viewer)

cjp1953

United States
I bought a new bird feeder,a cage tube type and filled it with black oil sunflower seeds.I'm hoping to attract Cardinals and Gold Finches and any song bird.It's been out in my front yard near my wife's zinnias for a week now and has not drawn any birds .I'm very puzzled and have been researching colors that attract birds.It's bright yellow and was wondering if that's the problem?It's a metal feeder powder coated yellow,I could paint it green as I seen that's a color most birds like but would like some of your opinions on what to do.

Hi again cjp - I've moved your post to the Bird Feeders section of the Garden Birds forum, as that is a more appropriate place for it.

It can take birds some time to discover a new feeder, in addition, this time of year there is plenty of natural food in the wider landscape (I've very few birds visiting me just now, yet a few weeks ago I was swamped and couldn't keep up with them LOL).

Be patient, I'm sure they will come. A bird bath may attract them too.

Hi again cjp - I've moved your post to the Bird Feeders section of the Garden Birds forum, as that is a more appropriate place for it.

It can take birds some time to discover a new feeder, in addition, this time of year there is plenty of natural food in the wider landscape (I've very few birds visiting me just now, yet a few weeks ago I was swamped and couldn't keep up with them LOL).

Be patient, I'm sure they will come. A bird bath may attract them too.
Thank you again,I thought about a bird bath.So you don't think it's the bright yellow color?

Not at the moment. I'd test out other things first, after the water bath, perhaps the positioning of the feeder and are sunflower seeds the correct feed for the types of birds that you actually see in the area?

That last is not possible for me to advise on though.

Not at the moment. I'd test out other things first, after the water bath, perhaps the positioning of the feeder and are sunflower seeds the correct feed for the types of birds that you actually see in the area?

That last is not possible for me to advise on though.
I'm new to this,I did look up what feed was best for yellow finches and cardinals and black oil was recommended,the feeder is made for these type of foods.I have seen the finches feed on the zinnia seeds but since putting out the feeder they have not returned.It will be fall here in the next month with colder weather and snow by November.But they do stay through out the year and would like to keep them around.The Cardinals are the same as they are our State bird in Ohio and live here year round and are fond of black oil sunflower seeds.

Thank you,you have made me feel very welcomed and given me great advice as well as hope for success.
I waited 3 months for the birds to find my window feeder. So don't give up hope.

I waited 3 months for the birds to find my window feeder. So don't give up hope.
I am glad I saw this topic as I am also new to this hobby. I also put up a window feeder along with my others which are doing well except the window feeder I am thinking that since there is wind chime near it that may be the reason they are staying away?

Thanks and I also need to say these forums have been helpful and welcoming to me.

Giving an update on my feeder,getting more birds feeding.I have a pair of Gold finches and house finches (I think as I did look up Ohio song Birds).The female gold finch spends a lot of time eating the black oil sunflower seeds I bought for the feeder.Hopefully I can attract our local Cardinals that stay here year round.We have a nesting pair across the street but they have not found the feeder yet.Thanks to everyone who responded.Now I need a good pocket size book on Ohio song birds that I can keep nearby to identify our local birds.

As the weather gets colder and less insects are around you'll see and uptick of birds at your feeders ;)
Thanks I kind of had the same thoughts but today my neighbor said he saw a peregrine falcon in a tree in his backyard.We had a nesting pair last year in a tall pine tree across from my home.I did see it around a few times the last month but did not see it head for that tree until last evening.This should scare off song birds if I'm not mistaken.

It certainly would keep the song birds at bay.
Yes I had a feeling but they are so nice to see.We have had red tail hawks aways around.Spotted a Bald Eagle cycling in the Cuyahoga Valley which is only 4 miles from my home.I hope to get down into the valley and walk the towpath down there you just never know what you'll see from whitetail deer to coyotes and all kinds of birds.

Hi cjp. With the cage feeder, only certain birds can fit through the squares. Cardinals cannot fit, but finches, buntings, female & young red-wing blackbirds, female cowbirds, and bluebirds - these types of birds will all fit through. Goldfinches loooove thistle seed. You'll have a ton feeding them that.

Hi cjp. With the cage feeder, only certain birds can fit through the squares. Cardinals cannot fit, but finches, buntings, female & young red-wing blackbirds, female cowbirds, and bluebirds - these types of birds will all fit through. Goldfinches loooove thistle seed. You'll have a ton feeding them that.
Actually the feeder is a wire tube with 4 holes on all the sides.I'm getting a pair of Cardinals,Blue Jays,Purple and house finches.Even had a Downy Wood pecker yesterday.They are eating about a pound of seed a day.The feeder holds 3 pounds of seed.I'm feeding black oil sunflower seeds and they really enjoy it.

I recently took a forked branch that fell from a tree in my yard and stuck it into a rotted stump next to my hanging feeder. That structure near the feeder provides a perch nearby and perhaps a bit of low-level cover. It seems to have helped my feeder draw a more confident crowd. I don't know if this would apply to your scenario but I am learning that structure in my yard makes a big difference.

Stay away from the sexy feeders. A general rule of thumb is to build simple platform feeders from a variety of materials that sit atop of metal poles that are driven into the ground. If you can't or are incapable of doing so find a handyman that can help. This tip applies to all feeders...place them close enough to the canopy so as to give the birds a place to start staging. That meaning that birds spend their days in the near tree top levels, when it's time to feed they start working there way down through the canopy. STAGING.

It's a self learning process...if you spend enough time with the birds they will show you what their needs are. The overall goal is to, what I like to say, "bring down the temperature, create a feeling of a safe environment". More safe=more birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back