• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need double confirm is Black-winged Stilt? Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
I could not be sure if this is Black-winged Stilt. First time actually saw this bird. Taken at wetland, Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo, Dec 2020. Thought the migratory season was over already?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• PIC-20201217-130448-DSC06946-A7R3.JPG
    PIC-20201217-130448-DSC06946-A7R3.JPG
    1,022 KB · Views: 12
  • PIC-20201217-130912-DSC06961-A7R3.JPG
    PIC-20201217-130912-DSC06961-A7R3.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12
Yes, Black-winged Stilt - aren’t they winter migrants (I need to check range maps)? Actially they could be Pied Stilt (I have no experience of these!)

apologies I am not sure how to separate them.

Last edited:
Yes, Black-winged Stilt - aren’t they winter migrants (I need to check range maps)?
Thanks Deb. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they "migrated" already? :D The location is called Kuala Baram Wetlands. There are many other species too, including Pacific Golden Plover which I was surprised they still here in Borneo.

Thanks Deb. I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they "migrated" already? :D The location is called Kuala Baram Wetlands. There are many other species too, including Pacific Golden Plover which I was surprised they still here in Borneo.

Edit. Just to clarify, in response to your migration query when I said ‘aren’t they winter migrants?’ I was referring to ‘my’ Northern winter, which is your summer! 🙃

It might depend on whether they are Pied (Australian Black-winged) Stilt or Black-winged Stilt sensu lato. I don’t know the range (or local taxonomy of either). Learning on the fly here, ‘Pied Stilt’ formerly a sub-species of Black-winged Stilt, Himantopus himantopus is split and now formally known as ‘White-headed Stilt‘ Himantopus leucocephalus apparently (IOC) . So oops again but don’t know if we need to consider the latter regarding range?

The distribution of WHS apparently does include Borneo
(see link)

The author suggests that
“there is sufficient evidence for the existence of Black-winged Stilts showing White-headed Stilt plumage characteristics for extra-limital sightings of apparent White-headed Stilts to be treated with great caution, particularly if such birds occur singly and in the company of Black-winged Stilts during the northern winter. Special attention should be given to the extent of the nuchal mane, and whether the rest of the head is in fact pure white, with no darker flecking or shading.”
I don’t know if that helps.

I’m sure someone with experience of comparing both in the field or with knowledge of winter movements can help you more!

The dusky flecking on the heads suggest Black-winged Stilt to me.

Last edited:
I would wait for someone to confirm who has experience of comparing these two species - there are several members lurking whom I’m sure do 😉

Given that it is northern winter and southern summer at the moment, I'd expect any stilts not breeding in the tropics to be from northern origins, i.e., Black-winged. Best time to get Pied Stilt would be June/July, when they fly north from their Australian breeding grounds.

I agree with Black-winged Stilt. I think White-headed/Pied is actually very rare in Borneo (many older records in Asia are thought to be mis-IDs). The head pattern also fits Black-winged better than White-headed (white head with black nape).
As mentioned above, Black-winged is a winter visitor to Borneo from northern Asia, so birds occurring here in the northern winter would not be unusual.

Just to add to the status discussion, Black-winged Stilt (which these are) is a winter visit to the north coast of Borneo (from Kuching east coast of Sabah, with no records from Kalimantan. Pied Stilt however is a resident along the south and east coast of Indonesian Borneo and now breeds around Tawau in eastern Sabah.

There are just two records of Pied Stilt from Malaysia as a whole (both this year, possibly same birds, in west Malaysia).

James

Hi James

Just to clarify, is the (Indonesian) Borneo population of White-headed/Pied resident year round?

edit: I’m assuming so since that would be my understanding of ‘resident’

Thanks again for your input!

Last edited:
Thank you so much everyone (y)

Incase some of you are interested of exact location, it is at Kuala Baram Wetlands, Miri, Sarawak. It is my first time visit there. It looks like it is very rich wetland.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back