• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neotropic or double Crested? (1 Viewer)

KFC

Ken Tucker
Just been sent this pic from a friend travelling somewhere in the Bahamas, not sure which island. Instant thought: I was sure it was Double Crested Cormorant on jizz if nothing else.

Have now looked in Nelson, Pelicans, Cormorants and their Relatives and the gular shape seems to match neotropic better. It does also look quite long-tailed (pro neo) but I'm convinced the head and neck are too chunky (pro-2x crested).

Any help gratefully received

K

Attachments

• DSCN4898.JPG
    DSCN4898.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 106
No idea, but I wouldn't mind a swim in that water!

I know what you mean - looks like a swimming pool.

Noticed, after starting this thread, the sticky about including location in thread title. Totally agree. Apologies to those wound up by this. Would change it now but don't know how.

Ken

I know what you mean - looks like a swimming pool.

Noticed, after starting this thread, the sticky about including location in thread title. Totally agree. Apologies to those wound up by this. Would change it now but don't know how.

Ken

Shame its not in Dorset... ;) But Neotropic in my opinion for the bird

Jan

I also see this as Neotropic; they often have chunky heads and necks. Look here and at the link to the gallery at the bottom of that page.

Niels

Thanks Jan and Niels. I've only seen neotropic once and didn't realise how chunky-headed they could appear. I just had this mental image of slim, small-headed things. WRONG!

Either of you like to say what clinches it for the photo I posted? Is it gular shape?

Thanks for the help so far.

Ken

The gular shape should be specific when looking at these two both according to Sibley and according to Howell and Webb. Everything else fit the mental image I had of a Neotropical from the several times I have seen it (for example in Panama).

Niels

Ken,
Another concurrence on Neotropical. This link on identification of Neotropic Cormorant has a good photo on first page and then an ID write up on pages 9 & 10 with differences between Neotropic and Double-crested.

For me, the lack of the bare Orange skin between eye and bill (supra-loral) rules out DC Cormorant.

I think it is a Neotropic. Besides having the distinctive V shape of the gular area that Neotropics have, it is lacking the orangish area that Double-crested have in front of their eyes (I forget the term for that area--loral, maybe?).

Jack

Last edited:
Ditto...neo tropic....for all the reasons stated above. love the water color, almost looks swimming poolish in nature but I know it is just the Bahama's!

Thanks to all for the replies - certainly educational for me although the ID does not appear to have taxed anyone else! I think I was just under a misconception of the true nature and appearance of neotropic. I shall pay more attention to cormorants next time I'm in the Neotropics!

Location in Bahamas if it is needed is Old Fort Bay 13 miles west of Nassau, New Providence.

Thanks again to all
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back