• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Neotropical Raptor- Amazonian Ecuador (1 Viewer)

payaminotom

United Kingdom
It's not much, but I'm curious what you guys suggest to this:) I am pretty sure of the ID, but I'm far from an expert in the neotropics. Cheers guys!

Screenshot 2024-01-04 at 22.39.41.png

Whatever it is , it seems to suffer from severe artifacts. I guess that those makes it look more skinny than it really was?
Niels

I'd say it's just low resolution and out of focus (no offence) rather than suffering from photo-artefacts as such. If it is a plumbeous kite, the apparent slimness would be real.

This one is a better match to my recollection, and it is a more substantial bird than the one is the original picture:
Niels

This one is a better match to my recollection, and it is a more substantial bird than the one is the original picture:
Niels
They can look slim like this (op image). Note how long the wings are compared with the tail

Thankyou everyone for your feedback. Plumbeous Kite was indeed the most likely culprit from my point of view also. As @Njlpoints out, its slimness is mainly why I wanted a second opinion, it is a bit odd and not something I ever noted in other individuals of this species, and it was a very common bird in the area.

However I will add, one, this photo was taken at about 300m distance, and two, it was raining very heavily at the time. These factors could definitely make the bird seem odd, (artefact from distance and feathers being wet), so it's still by far the most likely answer.

Any other inputs are very welcome!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back