• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nesting box camera - hole too small? (1 Viewer)

Hellsbellsbirds

United Kingdom
Hi all

I appreciate this has been asked a lot but I wanted to check:

I have a box with a camera set up since the start of the year and I’ve had a load of blue tits come in the check the box out, including in pairs, but no one start to nest there yet. I was starting sorry I was running out of nesting time
I assumed this was because the hole was too big (32mm).

I purchased a plate with a 25mm hole but since I’ve installed it, I’ve only had tits sticking their heads into the hole and it looks like they can’t fit through! No birds have come into my box since I installed the smaller hole - could it be that it’s too small for them and should I take it off and hope they go for the bigger hole?

(pic from before I installed the smaller hole!)

Attachments

• 56A04C9B-7991-401E-B1B8-6061C956117D.png
    56A04C9B-7991-401E-B1B8-6061C956117D.png
    9.1 MB · Views: 4
It may well be too small so I would do away with it as long there is no nest in the bo

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum!
We are glad that you found us and lease join in wherever you like.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am sure that you will find lots to interest you here and I hope you enjoy your visits.

A 25mm hole is recommended for blue tits so it should be okay. You could remove it and see if you get any interest. However, the fact that no blue tit showed interest with the larger hole might be because it was too big.

I think a 32mm entry hole is not a problem. Measures is entry hole height from the floor, or the floor size is correct. The black capped chickadee birdhouse is also suitable for the blue tit. Use these dimensions and installation instructions and blue tits should like it.
Here is other cavity-nesting birds birdhouse dimensions

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back