• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Netflix: Life on our Planet (3 Viewers)

Melanie

Germany
The new Netflix series Life on our Planet tells the story of life during different geological eras. Steven Spielberg is among the executive producers. Narrated by Morgan Freeman. Air time 25 October 2023.

More information about the series which will contain eight episodes

Last edited:
I've seen the first two episodes. Not as good as Prehistoric Planet, although it was nice to see some other time periods on display and the second episode was pretty decent. Kind of annoyed by the terror bird sequence in the first episode, which for some reason had them roaring and otherwise not making "bird" sounds.

Today I watched the first episode of Life on our Planet. I quite liked it, especially the asteroid sequence, after which the killer cloud formed around the earth, was very well filmed. The visual effects are just as good as in Prehistoric Planet. Morgan Freeman's sonorous voice is pretty good, but Attenborough as narrator is unbeatable.

It started as a kind of 'Prehistoric Planet', and the last episodes about birds and mammals were more like the old series 'Life on Earth'. There are good visuals, especially the biggest epic / cataclysmic events from the history of the Earth. But I felt that the old 'Life on Earth' series had more information. or maybe I was younger then.

Interesting that bioluminescence became a more and more stronger topic even in documentaries on prehistoric worlds. First in Prehistoric Planet and now in the second episode of Life on our Planet. What I didn't like so much is the depiction of Duncleosteus and that they only give one reason (or theory) for the second great mass extinction in the Permian.

So, I've now seen the whole series. Interesting that there is a reviewer who considers this series an empty spectacle, okay, I wouldn't go that far. Especially the present-day sequences are top notch and have the same high standard as other nature documentaries that have been produced by Alastair Fothergill. Compared to Prehistoric Planet, however, I miss the wow-effect. In the final episode, I liked the reference to the 6th mass extinction of the Holocene and the final scene from post apocalyptic London reminds me on Aftermath: Population Zero by Alan Weisman.

Last edited:
The thing is that public knowledge of many topics is better than ever. 10th computer-generated Tyrannosaurus rex, 20th cheetah chasing a gazelle and 100th lecture how terrible climate change is no longer make the same impression as before. However, to be fair, Netflix usually makes films about well-tested, already well known themes.

Even if you haven't watched the series the tie-in book by Tom Fletcher is very good to read, especially if you like paleo art.

Hey, I see it's an old thread, but I want to add my two cents. The new Netflix show Life on Our Planet seems like a super interesting ride through different geological epochs. Nature documentaries with a star-studded touch – always a win! Are you a fan of these kinds of series, too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back