• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New boy living in Spain. (2 Viewers)

Jim lawler

Spain
Hi to all. Great living in Spain but miss the variety of birds you get in the UK. Red Starts And Black Caps arrived last week to keep us company. A Red Start always sets up night time home in the beams of our porch. Can it be the same one every year?
Regards Jim

Hi Jim and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

You don't say whereabouts you live in Spain but I can assure you that the Birdlife available there is highly varied and of course figures numerous species that you wouldn't see in Britain (the opposite also applies of course). You do need to get out and about to see a large diversity but if its garden birds that mainly interest you would do well to put up feeders. Large Spanish supermarkets now offer a selection of these. Your redstarts are all Black Redstarts at this time of year; they are abundant everywhere in winter.

Even if your Spanish is as poor as mine you should find a new app (see SEO Birdlife - Sociedad Española de Ornitología) about Spanish birds from the SEO (the Spanish RSPB) useful. It uses the maps & excellent illustrations from the Lynx guide to the Birds of Spain (and I think the text is also based on that work). The text describes the habitats, habits, conservation status, population size, etc of all Spanish species (other than rarities). The downside is that, understandably, the text is in Spanish (although there is an English language index). However, it's not too hard to work out the basic details with a dictionary at hand.

Finally, if you're in the Cadiz area DM as I may be able to help you.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

You don't say whereabouts you live in Spain but I can assure you that the Birdlife available there is highly varied and of course figures numerous species that you wouldn't see in Britain (the opposite also applies of course). You do need to get out and about to see a large diversity but if its garden birds that mainly interest you would do well to put up feeders. Large Spanish supermarkets now offer a selection of these. Your redstarts are all Black Redstarts at this time of year; they are abundant everywhere in winter.
Sorry my post did not detail much. I'm a keen bird and nature follower. Live in Orba Valencia on the mountain side. Thing in Spain birds are very shy and evasive compared to the UK so not so easy to see. We are on the migration route which is interesting. As flocks of many species rest up and feed on their journey. We get almost all the raptors. Saw a Eagle circling very slowly over our villa this morning. Feeders? Problem they attract flocks of sparrows that then due to the food supply decide to set up home in our tiled roof. We do put out maggot feed for the numerous red start and black caps and a solitary Robin the flys in each winter.
Thanks for your interest Ernest.......Regards Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back