• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New i.s 16x42 (1 Viewer)

William Lewis

Wishing birdwatching paid the bills.
United Kingdom
Hello. I was talking to some opticron reps at birdfair 2022 and they said this was coming, no sign at birdfair 2023 but now to approximately no fanfare here it is :-

Splash proof, good value price wise, no mention of ed/HD glass (why?!?) made in China and a relatively close resemblance to the usual kite apc/sig sauer suspects - but cheaper.

If I hadn't just snaffled an x demo stabilised imagic 30mm mono with the 8-24mm zoom eye piece as my first experiment into what i.s can do from an owner perspecive I might have been interested.....but probably not.

Will

Yes, it looks awfully similar to all that breed of 16x42 IS, but one thing that strikes me is that Opticron says it's "only" IPX4 and no mention of gas/nitrogen filling, while the Kite are IPX7 and gas filled.

I'd asked the Opticron reps at Birdfair 2023 and they categorically denied any new IS Opticron binoculars were forthcoming. Guess the joke's on them as I just ordered a pair of Sig Sauer Zulu6 HDX 20x42 from the US (Optics Planet via a freight forwarder).

I guess you didn't ask the right rep because we had a sample of the 16x42 at the Birdfair :)

Nonetheless, until we actually take delivery of production samples of any new product, there's little point in talking about what it might or might not be.

The specifications for the Imagic IS 16x42 have now been updated and published on the website:

The first production batches are all pre-sold and will be with our dealers across the UK and Europe in the coming weeks.

Cheers, Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back