• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New information on the Vegavis holotype (1 Viewer)

albertonykus

Acosta Hospitaleche, C. and T.H. Worthy (2021)
New data on the Vegavis iaai holotype from the Maastrichtian of Antarctica
Cretaceous Research (advance online publication)
doi: 10.1016/j.cretres.2021.104818
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667121000653

Vegavis iaai has key importance as the most complete of the few neornithine birds known from the Cretaceous, yet its phylogenetic relationships remain controversial. To seek new data to resolve this problem, we fully extracted the skeleton of the holotype MLP 93-I-3-1 from the sedimentary matrix it had been found in to enable new direct observations on its osteology. We provide the first detailed descriptions of the synsacrum confirming the presence of fifteen ankylosed vertebrae, and of the cervical and thoracic vertebrae for this specimen, and elaborate on the available descriptions of the coracoid, humerus, radius, and all pelvic limb elements. A well-marked proximo-caudal fossa of the femur, described as a diagnostic character for Vegavis from observations of the referred specimen, is shallow and poorly defined in the holotype. The skeleton reveals a mix of features supporting enhanced diving ability for the bird. We make three-dimensional scans and high-quality images of all bones in the holotype available for further comparisons.

Does anyone have the figures of this paper? Scihub is not working anymore.
Sci-hub is working.

The captions on the pictures are:

Fig. 1. Vegavis iaai (holotype MLP 93-I-3-1): vertebrae, scapula, and coracoid. (A-D) ninth cervical vertebra in (A) dorsal, (B) ventral, (C) cranial, and (D) caudal views, (E-F) third thoracic vertebra in (E) cranial, and (F) lateral views, (G-H) fourth thoracic vertebra in (G) cranial, and (H) lateral views, (I-J) coracoid in (I) dorsal, (J) medial, (K) ventral, and (L) lateral views, (M-N) left scapula in (M) lateral, and (N) costal views. Abbreviations: ac, ansa costotransversaria; am, angulus medialis; av, arcus vertebra; cs, cotyla scapularis; fac, facies articularis clavicularis; facr, facies articularis cranialis; faca, facies articularis caudalis; fah, facies articularis humeralis; fas, facies articularis sternalis; fc, facies costalis; fi, foramina intervertebralia; fl, facies lateralis; fns, foramen n. supracoracoidei; fv, foramen vertebrale; ims, impressio m. sternocoracoidei; pa, processus acrocoracoideus; pl, processus lateralis; pp, processus procoracoideus; ps, processus spinosus, pt, processus transversus; tc, tuberculum coracoideum; zcr, zygapophyses cranialis; zca, zygapophyses caudalis.

Fig. 2. Vegavis iaai (holotype MLP 93-I-3-1), elements of the wing. (A-B) right humerus in (A) cranial, and (B) caudal views, (C-F) left ulna in (C) ventral view and (D) showing a detail of the proximal end with side lighting to emphasize the relief surface, (E) proximal end in cranial, and (F) in dorsal views, (G-H) radius in dorsal? (G), and (564 H) ventral? views, (I) enlargement of the distal end in (A), (J-K) proximal fragment of right humerus (A and B) in (J) cranial, and (K) caudal views, (L-M) proximal left humerus in (L) cranial, and (M) caudal views. Abbreviations: cb, crista brachialis; cd, cotyla dorsalis; cdp, crista deltopectoralis; ch, caput humeri; col, condylus lateralis; cov, condylus ventralis; cv, cotyla ventralis; far, facies articularis radialis; fmb, fossa m. brachialis; fol, fossa olecrani; fpd, fossa pneumotricipitalis pars dorsalis; fpv, fossa pneumotricipitalis pars ventralis; ib, presssio brachialis; icb, impressio coracobrachialis; idp, impressio deltopectoralis; ilcv, impressio ligamentum collateralis ventralis; ir, impressio radialis; ld, linea m. latissimus dorsi; mca, margo caudalis; mcr, margo cranialis; mol, olecranon; pcd, processus cotylaris dorsalis; slt, sulcus ligamentaris transversus; tbu, tuberculum bicipitalis ulnare; tlcv, tuberculum lig. collateralis ventralis

Fig. 3. Vegavis iaai (holotype MLP 93-I-3-1) synsacrum and ossa coxae. (A-C) synsacrum in (A) ventral, (B) left lateral, and (C) dorsal views, (D-E) right ossa coxae in (D) lateral, and (E) medial views, (F) left ossa coxae in medial view. Abbreviations: api, ala preacetabularis ilii; apoi, ala postacetabularis ilii; at, antitrochanter; bil, bulla intumescentia lumbosacralis; css, crista spinose synsacri; fa, foramen acetabularis; fi, foramina intervertebralia; fii, foramen ilioischiadicum; fo, foramen obturator; pt, processus transversus; sis, scapus ischii; spu, scapus pubis; svs, sulcus ventralis synsacri.

Fig. 4. Vegavis iaai (holotype MLP 93-I-3-1). Elements of the leg (A-B) proximal end of left femur in (A) cranial, and (B) caudal views, (C-D) proximal end of right femur in (C) caudal, and (D) cranial views, (E-F) distal end of left femur in (E)
cranial, and (F) caudal views, (G-H) left tibiotarsus in (G) caudal, and (H) cranial views, (I-N) proximal right tarsometatarsus in (I-J) dorsal, (K-L) proximal, (M) plantar, and (N) lateroplantar views, (O-P) distal end of left tarsometatarsus in (O) medial, and (P) dorsal views; (F, J, L, and N corresponds to 3D scans). Abbreviations: ccc, crista cnemialis cranialis; ccl, crista cnemialis lateralis; cd, cotyla dorsalis; cdl, crista dorsalis lateralis; cdm, crista dorsalis medialis; cf, crista fibularis; cl, cotyla lateralis; cl-fdl; crista intermedia hypotarsi; cl-fhl, crista lateralis hypotarsi; cm, cotyla medialis; cm-fdl, crista medialis hypotarsi; cm-fhl, crista intermediae lateralis; cd, cotyla dorsalis; col, condylus lateralis; com, condylus medialis; ct, crista trochanteris; ctb, crista tibiofibularis; ei, eminentia intercotylaris; faa, facies articularis antitrochanterica; fca, facies caudalis; fid, fossa infracotylaris dorsalis; fl, facies lateralis; fp, fossa poplitea; fvpl, foramen vasculare proximale laterale; fvpm, foramen vasculare proximale mediale; iim; incisura intertrochlearis medialis; io, impressiones obturatoriae; ire, impressiones retinaculi extensorii; mc, “medial crest”; se, sulcus extensorius; si, sulcus intercnemialis; sin, sulcus intercondylaris; sp, sulcus patellaris; tmgl, tuberculum m. gastrocnemialis lateralis, tmtc, tuberositas musculi tibialis cranialis; tmII, trochlea metatarsi II; tmIII, trochlea metatarsi III; tre, tuberositas retinaculi extensoris; tv, tuberculum ventrale;

Fig. 5. Elements of the skeleton of Vegavis iaai (holotype MLP 93-I-3-1) three
dimensionally scanned. (A) cervical and (B) dorsal vertebrae, (C) right humerus, (D) left ulna, (E) proximal right femur, (F) left tibiotarsus, (G) right coracoid, (H) left scapula, (I) proximal fragment of rigth humerus, (J) proximal left femur, (K) radius, (L) distal left femur, (M) left humerus, (N) right tarsometatarsus, (O) left tarsometatarsus, (P) synsacrum, (Q) right ossa coxae.

Fred

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back