• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Ivory-billed Woodpecker info (2 Viewers)

A well written article, but unfortunately no conclusive evidence.

I'll resume:

7 'definite' observations but not one with photographic evidence.

No conclusive audio recordings.

Trail camera images (too) poor.

All 'evidence' is 'suggestive'

Just one good picture could have saved a lot of time writing articles based on suggestive evidence. I understand people behind the article already spend a lot of time, just to come up with vague pictures and videos. I understand the terrain is challenging, but the reasoning "because of the endangered status of the species and ongoing research concerns, we omit specific location details." isn't going to help discover the species.

What's the logic behind hiding the potentially best locations for birders (lots of them carrying cameras that take better shots in the dark than any of the so-called evidence in the article)?

I am still convinced that DNA is the route to go down. These are hole nesting birds. A campaign to get out into suitable habitat, climb some trees and sample the debris will lead much more actual science that canoeing around with a camera strapped to one's head.

I am still convinced that DNA is the route to go down. These are hole nesting birds. A campaign to get out into suitable habitat, climb some trees and sample the debris will lead much more actual science that canoeing around with a camera strapped to one's head.
Even if this was the optimum method, which I'm certain it isn't, encouraging people to go out into remote swamp forest, climb trees and collect debris from Woodpecker nests seems somewhat foolhardy, not to mention a recipe to disturb wildlife.

Even if this was the optimum method, which I'm certain it isn't, encouraging people to go out into remote swamp forest, climb trees and collect debris from Woodpecker nests seems somewhat foolhardy, not to mention a recipe to disturb wildlife.
No need to climb trees. Just use environmental DNA...

Leave 50, strategically placed trail cams for three months?

They really need to invest in higher resolution cameras, and place them closer, so that when the bird shows itself, it will be good and unequivocal picture.

They could look for sponsorship of some TV channel, or trailcam manufacturer.

Environmental DNA from tree holes makes sense. It would be a legit ecological research on its own right, completely possible to find a sponsor. Do not mention the Ivory-billed Woodpecker at all. Study what species use tree holes, are old hollow trees critical, are all holes equally valuable for wildlife etc. Lots of important questions with big impact on conservation and forestry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back