• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Ivory-billed Woodpecker info (3 Viewers)

If an IBW were to land in my backyard the chances of me getting a photo are about 10:1 against and I’m not paddling a canoe in mosquito/alligator/ cottonmouth infested swamp.
Even if that's the case... a few pixels of blurry pic or a faded sound in the background of a shotty recording is still not enough.

Even if that's the case... a few pixels of blurry pic or a faded sound in the background of a shotty recording is still not enough.
Agreed. The point I’m making is that people are expecting magazine quality images and the lack of them is proof it’s extinct. With the best equipment at hand I can’t get a shot of a Pileated in my own backyard. Does that mean they don’t exist?

The video just posted by Brian Small is interesting. Is it proof? No, but I hope it encourages people to keep looking.

Agreed. The point I’m making is that people are expecting magazine quality images and the lack of them is proof it’s extinct. With the best equipment at hand I can’t get a shot of a Pileated in my own backyard. Does that mean they don’t exist?

The video just posted by Brian Small is interesting. Is it proof? No, but I hope it encourages people to keep looking.
Agreed people should still look if they truly believe it’s out there, but I still believe it should be considered extinct until and if any truly definitive evidence comes out.

Agreed people should still look if they truly believe it’s out there, but I still believe it should be considered extinct until and if any truly definitive evidence comes out.
Beware of using the word ‘definitive’ in this thread somebody might take exception to using their personal word and get all upset with you.

🤣

Lost your sense of humor?

😆

I’ve stayed out of all of the previous threads on the IBW mainly because there’s a lot of people getting bent out of shape in both the for and against arguments. Take this latest one for example, I’m labeled ‘almost a liar’ for using a common English language word that somebody else used.

As I’ve said previously, I would love it to be out there and I’m glad that there are believers still searching for it. The detractors who claim that there should be definitive photos by now are talking out of their arse. If an IBW were to land in my backyard the chances of me getting a photo are about 10:1 against and I’m not paddling a canoe in mosquito/alligator/ cottonmouth infested swamp.

Cheers

Mike
Hi Mike. John from NY. I think a good summation of a number of nonsensical EU comments is jealousy. Did you see the new USFW Comments? Lots of good information. Only a matter of time before someone gets a closeup.--

...and, especially proud of our contribution-- Regulations.gov

Hi Mike. John from NY. I think a good summation of a number of nonsensical EU comments is jealousy. Did you see the new USFW Comments? Lots of good information. Only a matter of time before someone gets a closeup.--

...and, especially proud of our contribution-- Regulations.gov
Evening.

Please could you explain which were the nonsenical EU comments and why the summation would be jealousy.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Evening.

Please could you explain which were the nonsenical EU comments and why the summation would be jealousy.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
I'm guessing he thinks that Britain is part of the EU. Even so, I think it's safe to assume most of the detractors who have spoken up in this thread or its predecessors will have seen a decent number of woodpecker species at home and/or abroad and are thus somewhat familiar with the characteristics of that family.
As for the EU (except for Ireland), I can only say that we have a colourful and fairly broad selection of woodpecker species over here, and the best part is, they're all real.

With regard to the new Harrison video, in many of the stills it looks like it has a white belly. That would exclude Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

Looks very much like a Wood Duck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 4.41.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 4.41.33 PM.png
    107.5 KB · Views: 52
With regard to the new Harrison video, in many of the stills it looks like it has a white belly. That would exclude Ivory-billed Woodpecker.

Looks very much like a Wood Duck.

In one specific frame I though duck as well (head shape etc.), but the quality is so bad, it could be anything.

I realize most here won’t be interested but (for the truly obsessed) here are 2 new articles with some historical discussion of the IBWO, touching upon similar themes (of why it declined). The second one is especially long and detailed, coming from David Martin (some you may know or recall as “Fangsheath”). Just some weekend reading for y’all: ;)

Why did the Ivory-billed Woodpecker and not the Pileated Woodpecker go extinct?

The Decline of the Ivory-billed Woodpecker: Habitat Destruction or Human Predation?

I've run across a couple of mentions about the Ivory-billed Woodpecker that I want to offer for your perusal.

The first is from a website called Penn Live.

In that, they mentioned a National Aviary, which I found the following search results re: the species on their website.
You searched for ivory-billed woodpecker - National Aviary

It is not my intent to support or detract from anyone's position on this. Just an offer of information.

Same old same old. The first researcher to get an actual image will have it in the public domain as soon as they have agreed and pocketed the fee from national and international media, so literally nothing to see here.....

John

I've run across a couple of mentions about the Ivory-billed Woodpecker that I want to offer for your perusal.

The first is from a website called Penn Live.

In that, they mentioned a National Aviary, which I found the following search results re: the species on their website.
You searched for ivory-billed woodpecker - National Aviary

It is not my intent to support or detract from anyone's position on this. Just an offer of information.
This is just an updated (and expanded with more details) published article of work that's been earlier presented/discussed, and it's being very widely covered in the U.S. press/internet; won't change minds, but probably hoping to influence any de-listing decision still being awaited from USFWS.

--ct
IVORY-BILLS LiVE???! ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back