• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New kid on the block ... Theron Questa (2 Viewers)

It has been a few months since this thread has been active. I felt the need to revisit it as the Theron Questa 8x42 has become my primary birding glass during that time. I find the image quality exceptional for the price and the view so natural and relaxing. It offers one of those rare experiences where I felt I was missing absolutely nothing in regular use. The huge sweetspot, excellent CA control and extrawide field of view make them ideal for just about any application.

I also love the feel of the binocular. The smooth texture of the rubber armor and the precise feel of the focuser make it a pleasure to hold and use ....and at any temperature I have experienced so far.

Did anyone try one of these yet besides me?

It has been a few months since this thread has been active. I felt the need to revisit it as the Theron Questa 8x42 has become my primary birding glass during that time. I find the image quality exceptional for the price and the view so natural and relaxing. It offers one of those rare experiences where I felt I was missing absolutely nothing in regular use. The huge sweetspot, excellent CA control and extrawide field of view make them ideal for just about any application.

I also love the feel of the binocular. The smooth texture of the rubber armor and the precise feel of the focuser make it a pleasure to hold and use ....and at any temperature I have experienced so far.

I tried a a pair and frankly(play on words) I wasn't too impressed. I felt quite a bit of eye strain with them and I didn't get near the easy view I get with my SV's. I thought they looked and felt kind of cheap to be honest. The weird thing is my baby 8x32 SV's were brighter than the 8x42 ED Theron's in low light. What's up with that? Here is this big hulk of a binocular that you think will blow away the little SV in low light but guess what it doesn't! The armouring felt to me like cheesy slick gum rubber. It is hard to go back to an inexpensive binocular though when you are used to alpha level binoculars. Like I have said "When you have alpha you can never go backa." Here was my pair of Theron 8x42 ED's compared to my Swarovski 8x32 SV's in a couple of pictures to see the size comparison. I have been using my 10x50 SV's more lately than my 8x32 SV's because I get a little more detail out of them. The 10x50 SV's are the best binoculars for me I have ever looked through. I returned the Theron's. But once in awhile I like to try different binoculars just to confirm my thoughts on the SV's.

Attachments

• P9100001.JPG
    P9100001.JPG
    888.6 KB · Views: 287
  • P9100002 (2).JPG
    P9100002 (2).JPG
    747.5 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
The weird thing is my baby 8x32 SV's were brighter than the 8x42 ED Theron's in low light. What's up with that? Here is this big hulk of a binocular that you think will blow away the little SV in low light but guess what it doesn't!

I suspect it's the high transmission figures in the blue-violet spectrum that makes the SV:s look so good in low light.

Dennis,

Thank you for sharing your comments.

I would agree with Vespo that the better apparent low light performance is most likely the result of the choice of emphasis in colors of the transmission curve. The Therons definitely favor the warmer side of the spectrum as opposed to the colder blue/green bias of the Swarovski SVs.

Since you did purchase the Therons I have a few questions for you. I am assuming you took some notes on the comparison as you mentioned already having returned them. How long ago was it that you had them in your possession? The pics look like summer time or early fall based on the background in Colorado.

You focused in on low light performance in much the same way that you did with the Maven. Do you do a great deal of low light birding? Owls perhaps? Or do you use your Swaros for hunting where low light performance is more critical.

You didn't mention any other optical characteristics besides low light performance. Did you compare the flat field performance? Size of sweet spot and or the transition from the center of the field to the edge? Rolling ball? Was the image more similar than not between the two models?

How about apparent sharpness? Apparent contrast? CA control?

Glare/stray light control?

Enough about optical traits, how about ergonomics/mechanics? If I remember correctly your particular Swaro SV 8x32 has a smooth focuser. How did you find the focusing speed and tension on the Theron by itself and then in comparison to the Swaro?

I certainly can understand differences in opinion on the feel of the rubber armor. That, in particular, can be highly individualized. I find I prefer a smoother finish to that of a textured one in much the same way that I prefer a slightly slower focuser with more tension in comparison to a faster one with less tension though I know others do not.

I did have the opportunity to briefly compare the SV 8x32 to the Theron back in late September on a bird walk. I also had the opportunity to compare the Theron to the Swaro SLC 8x42 a couple of days ago. The latter was the latest version as it was just purchased this past weekend at the Lost Creek Shoe shop.

Lots of good questions for you to answer Dennis. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

Dennis,

Thank you for sharing your comments.

I would agree with Vespo that the better apparent low light performance is most likely the result of the choice of emphasis in colors of the transmission curve. The Therons definitely favor the warmer side of the spectrum as opposed to the colder blue/green bias of the Swarovski SVs.

Since you did purchase the Therons I have a few questions for you. I am assuming you took some notes on the comparison as you mentioned already having returned them. How long ago was it that you had them in your possession? The pics look like summer time or early fall based on the background in Colorado.

You focused in on low light performance in much the same way that you did with the Maven. Do you do a great deal of low light birding? Owls perhaps? Or do you use your Swaros for hunting where low light performance is more critical.

You didn't mention any other optical characteristics besides low light performance. Did you compare the flat field performance? Size of sweet spot and or the transition from the center of the field to the edge? Rolling ball? Was the image more similar than not between the two models?

How about apparent sharpness? Apparent contrast? CA control?

Glare/stray light control?

Enough about optical traits, how about ergonomics/mechanics? If I remember correctly your particular Swaro SV 8x32 has a smooth focuser. How did you find the focusing speed and tension on the Theron by itself and then in comparison to the Swaro?

I certainly can understand differences in opinion on the feel of the rubber armor. That, in particular, can be highly individualized. I find I prefer a smoother finish to that of a textured one in much the same way that I prefer a slightly slower focuser with more tension in comparison to a faster one with less tension though I know others do not.

I did have the opportunity to briefly compare the SV 8x32 to the Theron back in late September on a bird walk. I also had the opportunity to compare the Theron to the Swaro SLC 8x42 a couple of days ago. The latter was the latest version as it was just purchased this past weekend at the Lost Creek Shoe shop.

Lots of good questions for you to answer Dennis. I look forward to hearing what you have to say.
"Since you did purchase the Therons I have a few questions for you. I am assuming you took some notes on the comparison as you mentioned already having returned them. How long ago was it that you had them in your possession? The pics look like summer time or early fall based on the background in Colorado."

I believe I purchased them right after your review which was in about August of 2015.

"You focused in on low light performance in much the same way that you did with the Maven. Do you do a great deal of low light birding? Owls perhaps? Or do you use your Swaros for hunting where low light performance is more critical."

Probably not ton's of low light birding but I do look at low light performance when I compare binoculars because I feel it is a good indicator of coating quality and transmission. I probably personally don't like the warm color bias of the Theron's because to me it appears darker even in daylight especially when you look into shadows. When I would look under our Blue Spruce trees for example the Theron was darker than the Swarovski's even in day light. I didn't like that.

"You didn't mention any other optical characteristics besides low light performance. Did you compare the flat field performance? Size of sweet spot and or the transition from the center of the field to the edge? Rolling ball? Was the image more similar than not between the two models?"

Yes, at first I liked the flat field performance because it was similar to my Swarovski's and they did have similar edge sharpness but the sweet spot wasn't quite as big as my SV's and the transition from the cof to the edge was not as smooth. It seemed more abrupt. I saw no RB to speak of and I don't see any in my SV's either. The image in the Theron's was similar but not as good. It was kind of like they tried to copy the SV's but they didn't quite get it right. The view through the Theron's seemed strained while the SV's were more relaxed.

"How about apparent sharpness? Apparent contrast? CA control?'

I felt the SV's were slightly sharper and had a little better contrast. CA control was abut the same with none on axis and some on the edges like most binoculars with ED glass.

"Glare/stray light control?"

I know the SV's aren't known for being good at this but I did compare it and I didn't think the Theron's had any significant advantage in this area. Both showed some glare when getting close to the sun or at sundown.

"Enough about optical traits, how about ergonomics/mechanics? If I remember correctly your particular Swaro SV 8x32 has a smooth focuser. How did you find the focusing speed and tension on the Theron by itself and then in comparison to the Swaro?"

I didn't care for the ergonomics because I like an open bridge design of the SV. The Theron felt bulky and blocky to me. It didn't fit my hands like the SV. I like to wrap my fingers around the open bridge design which is my preference. I didn't care for the armour on the Theron either. It does not have the quality feel that the SV has. It feels like a cheap thin rubber stretched over the binocular and the feel of it is sticky almost. The focusing tension was a little to hard in my opinion. I prefer a little less tension. Overall the Theron struck me as this bigger more cumbersome binocular that didn't perform, as well as, the lighter, slimmer and more comfortable SV. Focus speed was similar on the two.

"I certainly can understand differences in opinion on the feel of the rubber armor. That, in particular, can be highly individualized. I find I prefer a smoother finish to that of a textured one in much the same way that I prefer a slightly slower focuser with more tension in comparison to a faster one with less tension though I know others do not."

The smoother finish of the Theron felt cheap to me as if the rubber was too thin. Almost like a cheap bicycle inner tube. The SV's armour is thicker and has a quality feel to it. Kind of like the interior of a Kia Rio compared to a Mercedes.

"I did have the opportunity to briefly compare the SV 8x32 to the Theron back in late September on a bird walk. I also had the opportunity to compare the Theron to the Swaro SLC 8x42 a couple of days ago. The latter was the latest version as it was just purchased this past weekend at the Lost Creek Shoe shop."

I prefer the SV over the SLC design because I like sharp edges. The SV's have the sharpest edges of any binocular on the market I believe.

The Theron's do a pretty good job of imitating the Swarovision's for their price point but they don't quite make it. It is difficult to produce a binocular even in China for $400.00 that equals a $2000.00 binocular. Their are quite a few areas where the Theron's are lacking. If I were shopping in this price range I would go to the Nikon SE's and EII's porro's. I think they are the only binoculars that come close to matching the top alpha's for under $600.00 and the newer alpha's have even left these great porro's behind in my opinion.

Last edited:

Looks like the Sightron 8x32 BS II has been jilted. Should we expect to see it for sale on eBay soon? :h?:

<B>

As a newbie, I appreciate comparisons against the alpha standard. As I cannot afford SV class binos, I'm also interested in price/performance and value judgements by more experienced users.
Do the Questas compare favorably to other roofs at their price point?

Mivenho .... I have also been wondering how the Questa compares to other models around the same price. Two that come to mind are the Zen-Ray ED3 and the Vanguard Endeavor ED II. One big difference is the Zen-Ray ED3 does not use lens flatteners. I am not sure what was concluded on the new Endeavor since some reviews say it does have a rather flat view.

The other comparison that comes to mind is the Zen-Ray Prime on with the Questa seems to be based. My impression, based on what I have read, is the Questa has small improvements for less money. Hope that is correct. I did have an original Prime 10X42 for evaluation but ended up returning it because of black outs that impacted my viewing. Zen-Ray may have made some changes since that original production run because there has not been much in the way of complaints on the issue.

Last edited:
Mivenho,

I think Dennis actually answered that question for you. You just need to read between the lines. He compared a $2300 binocular to a $425 model and though his comments left the $2300 model the winner the Questa scored surprisingly close. I think that says something.

Bruce,

I have compared the Questa to a variety of models below the $1000 price point though not to the two you mentioned. I prefer the optical "experience" overall to any of the other models.

Mivenho .... I have also been wondering how the Questa compares to other models around the same price. Two that come to mind are the Zen-Ray ED3 and the Vanguard Endeavor ED II. One big difference is the Zen-Ray ED3 does not use lens flatteners. I am not sure what was concluded on the new Endeavor since some reviews say it does have a rather flat view.

The other comparison that comes to mind is the Zen-Ray Prime on with the Questa seems to be based. My impression, based on what I have read, is the Questa has small improvements for less money. Hope that is correct. I did have an original Prime 10X42 for evaluation but ended up returning it because of black outs that impacted my viewing. Zen-Ray may have made some changes since that original production run because there has not been much in the way of complaints on the issue.
The big difference between the Theron Questa ED 8x42 versus the Zen Ray ED3 and the Vanguard Endeavor EDII is it has sharp edges like the Swarovision's. So from that aspect it has a big advantage. I also had a Zen Ray Prime and I too had blackouts. I would consider the Theron Questa a better binocular than the Zen Ray Prime especially at it's price point. If you like sharp edges and don't want to spend $2K for a Swarovision I would say the Theron is your best option. Be forewarned it does have a warm color transmission curve, it is a closed bridge design and to me the armour is a little funky because I don't like slick rubber and I think they could should do something to give it a more quality feel but I agree with Frank in that if you want a roof prism with a "Swaro Like' view it is your best option under $1K.

Last edited:
Thanks Frank, Bruce and Dennis. I've ordered an 8x Questa, in addition to a Bushnell Legend M and a Monarch 7 for comparison. I'm enthusiastic about this little experiment!

Thanks Frank, Bruce and Dennis. I've ordered an 8x Questa, in addition to a Bushnell Legend M and a Monarch 7 for comparison. I'm enthusiastic about this little experiment!
I think you will like the Theron the best because of the sharp edges and flat field but let us know. Interesting three.

That sounds like a fun comparison. Please do comment afterwards.

Clive,

Maybe. ;)

But that will have to wait for a bit. I still have to finish the reviews for the Athlon Argos 8x36 and Opticron VGA HD 8x42.

I will be really interested to see your comments on these especially how the Bushnell Legend M compares to the other two because it was rated so highly in the Outdoor Life binocular review in fact even beating the Zeiss SF in resolution which is amazing considering it's price. Here were the results.

Attachments

• chart-binoculars-fullsize_desktop2.jpg
    chart-binoculars-fullsize_desktop2.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 219
The 10X42 SF I had here at home for a couple of weeks had a ton of Wow factor in many areas, but it wasn't particularly sharp.

I will be really interested to see your comments on these especially how the Bushnell Legend M compares to the other two because it was rated so highly in the Outdoor Life binocular review in fact even beating the Zeiss SF in resolution which is amazing considering it's price. Here were the results.

Bruce,

I had the opportunity to compare the Questa to the Zeiss Terra ED 8x42 yesterday morning. From what I have seen online the Terra retails between $350 and $400. The Questa can be had for $425. I hate to come off as overly enthusiastic but there was no comparison. In practically every area the Questa was notably better. The only issue where the Zeiss was better was in physical weight....by about 3 ounces. The Questa's view was very picture window like for all of the optical performance areas I mentioned previously.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back