• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Maven B7, 8/10x25 compact - $600 (2 Viewers)

has530

Just announced here. 12 oz, ED glass, 6.8° and 6° FOV in the 8 and 10x respectively. Thoughts? Might be a tough sell at that price with that FOV but with recent price increases it does slide in nicely between the terra ED and top dogs.

The price seems reasonable enough. My main concern is they seem bit big for this size class. The dimensions unfolded are nearly the same as the B.3 8x30, and significantly larger than most 8x25 competitors.

I would have liked to see a 6x or 7x like their 30mm's. But from the specs it looks like the AFOV would be small, the prisms must not be wide enough. The AFOV drops quite a bit from 10 to 8x.

Maven B.7: 600USD + 100 USD transport = 700 USD, , , , not available in demo program and I cannot find info about returns
Zeiss pocket: 900 USD + zero USD transport = 900 USD, much better FOV, less weight, single hinge, can be returned no questions

It is definitely a hard sell for me compared to the VP and other excellent 8x25 options. Shipping from Maven is also an issue for Canada given they don't sell most of their products on Amazon. I ordered my B.3s during one of their extremely infrequent sales to help offset the shipping cost.

They are now available in the demo program:
(though the page lists the specs for the B.6)

Its a 50% price increase to the Swaro CL P or the Zeiss VP - but these have specs similar Swaro or Zeiss Terra (and the Maven are 50% more $$$ than the Terra). Plus - they are 1/2 inch longer than the next shortest < x30 bino.

Has anyone tried these out?

Not yet. I will eventually. Sadly, I purchased the 8x25 Terra's right before I found out about this new Maven. The Terra image is quite decent, but the build quality is not worth the $400. Meanwhile, my experience with Maven is that both their image quality and build quality are often better than the other brands competitors, at the same price and often priced several hundred dollars more than the Maven offering...

They are now available in the demo program:
(though the page lists the specs for the B.6)

Its a 50% price increase to the Swaro CL P or the Zeiss VP - but these have specs similar Swaro or Zeiss Terra (and the Maven are 50% more $$$ than the Terra). Plus - they are 1/2 inch longer than the next shortest < x30 bino.

Has anyone tried these out?
You can purchase Zeiss pocket overseas for not much more, if you're okay with a possible gray warranty issue.

Also the zeiss have a really impressive close focus distance which is rare for the 25mm class. That said, still curious about the mavens. Their 27mm bin was fun to use and these are purported to have much better glass.

You can purchase Zeiss pocket overseas for not much more, if you're okay with a possible gray warranty issue.

Also the zeiss have a really impressive close focus distance which is rare for the 25mm class. That said, still curious about the mavens. Their 27mm bin was fun to use and these are purported to have much better glass.
Thanks.

I have ordered the VP from Cabela's using their Club Monday deal so the price came to $765 + tax, and no payments/interest for 12 months; they should arrive on Monday.

Thanks.

I have ordered the VP from Cabela's using their Club Monday deal so the price came to $765 + tax, and no payments/interest for 12 months; they should arrive on Monday.
Well done! Thats an excellent price on new VPs. Let us know how you like them, pros/cons etc. !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back