• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Member wanting some advice! (1 Viewer)

ahoffman

United States
Hi all. I live in northern MI & was excited I had a family of wrens build their nest in a birdhouse of mine. However, I have since found a total of 3 dead wrens & I'm heartbroken :( What could have happened & have I done something to have caused this?! Please help inform me.

Hi ahoffman and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It sounds like the nest was predated, but I don't know what by. Unfortunately it is very common, a high percentage of nests fail sadly and we don't usually know the reason. One (or both) of the adults could have died or been killed. Something could have predated the nest, usually to feed their own young. Or it could have been disturbance, so as you are worried it might have been something you did, maybe you've been looking in the nest box? If so it really is best to leave them alone.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi ahoffman and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. It sounds like the nest was predated, but I don't know what by. Unfortunately it is very common, a high percentage of nests fail sadly and we don't usually know the reason. One (or both) of the adults could have died or been killed. Something could have predated the nest, usually to feed their own young. Or it could have been disturbance, so as you are worried it might have been something you did, maybe you've been looking in the nest box? If so it really is best to leave them alone.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for responding. I found the babies on ground. I see at least one of the parents flying in & out all the time feeding the babies. The nest is in a bird house close to my back deck. The parent would land & talk a lot on the deck before heading in to feed babies. Do you think the birds felt unsafe being so close to my deck & me walking outside. Wrens is the bird.

Hi, welcome to the forum. If the parents were going in and out of the nest with you nearby, it seems they weren’t bothered by you. After nesting season you might want to move the box a little further out and check into a nest camera.

Do you think the birds felt unsafe being so close to my deck & me walking outside. Wrens is the bird.

I doubt that would be the problem. Birds soon get used to regular movements by us.

Hi, welcome to the forum. If the parents were going in and out of the nest with you nearby, it seems they weren’t bothered by you. After nesting season you might want to move the box a little further out and check into a nest camera.
Oh good idea. Where do I purchase a nesting camera?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back