• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Minox HG 8x33 arrived... (1 Viewer)

FJDave

I was back and forth as to what to buy as some of you may remember. I began leaning much toward Nikon Se's but since winter is right around the corner and these Minox were getting scarce I went for them first. Now I'm actually leaning toward the Swaro 8x30w porro's next but that's another story.

I ordered the Minox from Neil at Cameralandny last Thursday and due to the Monday holiday I expected them Tuesday (I'm in Ohio). Saturday morning I left for a few minutes and FedEx was there at 9:10 am...I got back home at 9:20. They didn't leave box as it required a signature. I called FedEx headquarters and explained. Since I'm in small town USA the driver was only a mile or so away and quickly returned! (Go FedEx!)

I opened the box and was suprised. I was thinking smaller and lighter. Not disappointed just expected different. Anyway, they fit my hands well, have very good image, love the eye pieces (don't wear glasses), and just feel good quality. I am amazed at the close focus. I measured about 4.5 feet from end of bino to subject. I'm 6'5" and looking straight down can focus top of shoe and still room to adjust closer. These seem very good out to certain distance but maybe not perfect for far off subjects and landscape. Not bad either though. For the money spent I really like these bino's and will certainly keep them. Next up will be a good quality (more than likely 8x30w Swaro) and probably smallish porro but haven't ruled out the 10x40w (Swaro) just yet. Definetly not the 7x40 though. Too narow of field. I do wish these had a bit wider field and better depth but I'm not complaining either. The view and the quality is very nice indeed. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

My first walk with them was awesome btw!. I made a 1 mile loop around my trail and when nearly home I saw something. I looked toward the big tree and then saw a squirrel running around. I knew that wasn't what I saw so I stopped and watched closely. It was difficult to use bino's cause I was quite close and there were obstructions. The I saw it again and it was a moving shadow from above...buzzard maybe? I kept watching then I see a hawk come in and fly up and down and around the tree...several times chasing the squirrel! It was a young Cooper's hawk...and it caught the squirrl! It was on the ground with it on the other side of the fence row. When I approached it took off flying low along the fence line between it and a still standing corn field. It was awesome to say the least...and perfect timing with the new bino's and all. (Even though I didn;t get to use them much that time, lol.)

Thanks for everyone's help (in a couple of threads I had) and a big thanks to Neil at CameralandNY.com and FedEx!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back