• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Old Trinovids (4 Viewers)

"The overall impression I got was that it was very similar to the 7x42, but much smaller."

That is the same conclusion I came to when comparing the Retrovid's 7x35 to my Leica Ultravid's HD 7x42.
SP vs AK prisms and aperture 35mm vs 42, produce this difference in size which in some cases could also be substantial.
But regarding the brightness compared during the day (even if cloudy), in my opinion it is a test that says little or nothing. What will be evident, if anything, is the contrast and the transmittance of the compared two binoculars (not the brightness).

It would be more interesting to know better the difference in depth of field (if there).

From what I can read between the lines of the impressions of Patudo, it seems that the new retro Trinovid is remarkable and very interesting, both the 7x35 and even more the 10x40, where the difference seemed clearer to me.

Rico. Both the 7x35 Retrovid and the 7x42 Ultravid HD have SP prisms but you are correct I am sure that the 7x42 will brighter in low light with it's bigger EP. The DOF of the 7x35 and the 7x42 would be the same because DOF is determined by magnification alone. The new retro Trinovid is remarkable in that it performs like a much larger binocular in a small package. Leica did a good job on it.

Both the 7x35 Retrovid and the 7x42 Ultravid HD have SP prisms...
Hi Dennis, I was referring to the comparison with Patudo's Dialyt, but in fact it is not clear for me which model it is (I imagine moderns with AK and T*P*).

The DOF of the 7x35 and the 7x42 would be the same because DOF is determined by magnification alone.
DOF is also caused by the "focal ratio" and it is possible that to use the AKs, the Dialyt has a much greater focal length than the Trinovid.
From experience, I am almost sure that if it was diaphragmed to 35mm, the 7x42 would have a higher DOF. And the same thing happens with every binocular.

In this case, if your 7x35 was diaphragmed to 25mm (7x25), you would see a DOF greater than about 1 stop. As "brightness" (pln), the 7x25 is equivalent to 8x27 and 10x30.
If you give it a try, let me/we know!

"Leica did a good job on it" ... I think so too and I am pleased to! :t:

Last edited:
The DOF is also caused by the "focal ratio". And is possible that the Dialyt (with AK prism) has a greater focal ratio than the Trinovid.

Dennis,
one thing that does make me a little unsure about the 7x35 is the narrow focus wheel. It is so small.

How do you find it? Is it hard to use? How do you think it would be ok with gloves on?

How does it compare to the Nikon SE 8x32 focus wheel? That’s the one I own that reminds me most of the Retrovid. I’ve never used it with gloves on though.

Seasons greetings :)

Talking of gloves, I wonder if the Retrovid focus will be stiff in the cold?

About the focus wheel, Boogieshrew, from the pictures it doesn't look any smaller than the focus on my Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B. Personally I didn't find that at all awkward to focus though since having more modern glass to compare with I notice a difference in feel. I still wouldn't say it's tricky though, if that helps at all.

Best wishes,

Tom

Possibly the better question would be: would any improvements related to the Uppendahl prisms, original optical train etc. be noticeable to the average user, or would they be only apparent to nitnoids? ... :cat:
Very true! Or "Binocular Nerd's." I am sure that is why Leica went with the modern design. The normal person is not going to notice any difference between SP and UP prisms nor would they care.

Fun to see these finally appear after all... but unimpressive FOV (as we knew before) and oddly also, transmission. And rubber eyecups today? What puzzles me is, wouldn't nostalgists be happier buying an actual vintage Trinovid?

I just found started reading this thread to this point, BUT as an owner of NINE of the Ver. 2 original Trinovids,... and looking for replacing some tired eyepieces on a few of them,....I found out on 8-12-20 that Leica NO longer has replacement eyecups available for the Leitz 7 x 42 BA or Leitz 7 x 42 I inquired about. That sucked! I suspect the other versions are mostly GONE also.

BUT what frosts me the most is finding out they have issued these "retro" Trinovids,...and the eyecups are DIFFERENT and won't fit the originals,....based on the response from Leica.

What IDIOT in re-design didn't take into account the HUGE fan base of the original Trinovids, and their need for such a common replacement part!

They could be selling hundreds of thousands to millions of eyecups, perhaps (gotta have some spares, after all :) , yet didn't take that into consideration?

D U M N

Hi,

well, since the Retrovids use twist-up eyecups instead of the old style rubber fold-down parts, it is to be expected that they won't fit. And introducing a pair of premium bins with rubber eyecups is probably not going to go well nowadays...

Joachim, who loves his Leitz 7x42 BA in green...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back