• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nighthawk Cow Creek, Death Valley National Park, California, USA (1 Viewer)

SHolt

I just found these images from the first camera I used working in Death Valley NP (Cow Creek). The images were taken 06 May 2007 between 19:26 and 19:33 pm PDT. I am having a tough time remembering if this is a lesser or a common nighthawk; both occur and have been observed in the area. I remember seeing the birds, knowing I had never seen anything like them before, grabbing the binoculars and camera and running outside trying to figure out what they were. There were at least 5 birds. Most of the images were from the lawn area but I had to move into the road for the final shots as the birds were flying in big circles to the Northeast.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Attachments

• Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_1_20070506.jpg
    Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_1_20070506.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_2_20070506.jpg
    Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_2_20070506.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_3_20070506.jpg
    Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_3_20070506.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_4_20070506.jpg
    Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_4_20070506.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_5_20070506.jpg
    Crop_Nighthawk_CowCreek_5_20070506.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 9
Thanks! I was hoping that would be the answer. It is nice to remember that I saw them alive and outside of the fire reservoir (swimming pool). I find it hard to ID them without glasses, binoculars, or a camera. However, they would often fly very close as they skimmed the water. Bats, swallows, nighthawks, and roadrunners were common visitors when we were cooling off.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back