• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nighthawk, July, Florida (1 Viewer)

raulqc

After looking at the range, it should be Common Nighthawk... but the white around the throat looks closer to the Lesser Nighthawk. Not sure if the id can be done with a bad picture.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_6454_DxO.jpg
    IMG_6454_DxO.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 93
Looks to be a Lesser Nighthawk for me which are prevalent in Florida during the non-breeding season.

Raul, what about the throat is better for Lesser? Your picture resembles the Common Nighthawk portrait in the National Geographic guide 6th edition.

eBird has only one record of Lesser Nighthawk east of the Mississippi River for the June to September period.

Microtus,
I use "The Sibley Guide to Birds, Second Edition" and the iBird application, both have illustration that shown a less prominent throat on the common night hawk.

KC and Nutcracker, Thanks for response.

Raul, interesting. To my eye the National Geographic guide shows a more prominent throat for the Common Nighthawk, especially perched.

I think the position of the white on the primaries is a more reliable feature to separate the two. In this case, the white is barely visible because it is closer to the base of the primaries, a feature for Common Nighthawk. It's a cool photo!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back