• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nightingale song? - Surrey UK (1 Viewer)

swalker

Hi, Please can some confirm if the attached mp3 recording is a nightingale? Recorded Norbury Park, Surrey on 26 April. Thanks Steve

Attachments

• 2016_04_26_20_53_12.wav.mp3
    968.8 KB · Views: 177
Thanks KGS, can you help with the next two recordings, is there a nightingale there? Both Bookham Common, Surrey. The file name shows the date and time (from year to second).

Attachments

• 2014_04_02_19_17_11.wav.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 102
  • 2014_06_01_08_56_15.wav.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 109
Thanks KGS, can you help with the next two recordings, is there a nightingale there? Both Bookham Common, Surrey. The file name shows the date and time (from year to second).

The first one I think is just Song Thrush (and Blue Tit & Robin), but I'm less sure regarding the second recording. There are some Nightingale-like motifs but the voice still has more of Song Thrush quality I think. Thrush would be me guess, but I'm not sure.

The second one (2014_06_01_08_56_15.wav.mp3) really sounds like Nightingale to me (specially toward the end of the recordings). Any other opinion ?

I cannot open the files anymore either from the website. I will upload again.

Attachments

• 2016_04_26_20_53_12.wav.mp3
    968.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 2014_04_02_19_17_11.wav.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
  • 2014_06_01_08_56_15.wav.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 91
That's strange, I can open the mp3 file when it is on my computer but when I upload it there is a "this file type is not supported" message. This problem is beyond my limited technical knowledge. Sorry for any inconvenience. Steve

Maybe it is the double filetype suffix ".wav.mp3" that is causing the problem? Try renaming them as just "2016_04_26_20_53_12.mp3" etc.?

The second file in post 3, which is the same as the third file in post 9 is a Nightingale. The trills at 0.04 and 0.11 - 0.12 are diagnostic IMHO. The others are song thrushes.

Peter

Edit: the computer which played these files is an Apple Mac ;)

Last edited:
Maybe it is the double filetype suffix ".wav.mp3" that is causing the problem? Try renaming them as just "2016_04_26_20_53_12.mp3" etc.?

Thanks, good idea I will try that. See attached file

Edit Nope still doesn't work "This type of audio file is not supported".

Attachments

• 2014_04_02_19_17_11.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 73
To listen to the Nightingales on Bookham Common get there just before dusk. If they're singing they will carry on after all the other singing species pack up for the night.

Even better go there before dawn, the Nightingales start 15/30 minutes before anything else, a great experience. And you can get very close to them, as you can tell from this recording made on my mobile very early one May day last year:

https://youtu.be/HLJAXPbxSCo

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back