• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 300 f4 w/ TC vs Bigma vs Tamro 200-500 (1 Viewer)

DonFrambach

Nikon 300 f4 w/ TC vs Bigma vs Tamron 200-500

I apologize for bringing this topic up again but I'd really like to hear expert comment of the following logic and assumptions (which may be incorrect):

After using my 70-300 f4-5.6 AFS VR Nikon zoom I'm convinced that I need 500mm to be a happy birder. I'm about to buy a Nikon AFS 300mm f4 telephoto lens with the Nikon TC-17E II teleconverter to use with my D200 instead of either the Tamron 200-500 or Sigma 50-500 zoom because:

1) I think the 300 mm prime the Nikon will give sharper pictures thus allowing cropping to compensate somewhat for lack of zoom
2) I think that the 300mm Nikon + the TC will be sharper than either zoom at 500mm (is this true?)
3) The Nikon is slightly faster than both the Sigma and Tamron this making it more likely that I will be able to take good hand held shots
4) The Nikon is significantly lighter than the Sigma
5) The Nikon automatic focus will be faster than either the Tamron or Sigma (do you think this is true with the TC?)
6) I will make use of the closer focus on the Nikon to photograph interesting "little critters"
7) The TC may be used on other lenses I may acquire in the future
8) I could get a 2x TC in the future for 600mm if necessary

A final question, will the Nikon TC-17E II will work better than any other brand for this purpose?

Thanks for your help,

Don

Last edited:
Yikes!! just read on the NikonUSA.com website that the Nikon 300mm f4 AFS lens will not autofocus with the Nikon TC-17E II. They say it will with the 1.4 TC though.

It will work but slowly, you have to prefocus first for a faster operation. In open area with enough light, the 300 f4 and tc 17 are terrific. The 300 af-s with 1.4 TC are excellent and fast but lack just a little bit of reach, but it's acceptable in most birding situation.

Got a 300 AF-S and a 1.4x and 2x TC's to be fair the 2x only comes out in case of emergencies and when its bright but I have no issues autofocussing with either TC and the 1.4 is permanently mated to the 300.
I have strongly considered selling the 2x and getting a 1.7 so am watching this thread with interest. btw most of my piccies in the gallery have been taken with a 300 + 1.4 and I find it a little short but currently all the bank manager allows but ensure you use a monopod at the very least
I also use it on a D200 again a nice combo
Regards
Steve

To answer you points.

1. The 300 on its own is v good and should easily outperform either of the zooms at 300 cropping is ok but no match for focal length in my opinion.

2. I have the 300 and a TC17, i found the pics sharp, though i couldn't comment on either of the zooms as i haven't handled either.

3. I found a tripod to be a must at these focla lengths 300 + TC17 = 765mm 35mm equivalent! So needs to plenty bright to get your shutterspeed up. Though weight wise i have no problem hand holding.

4. Yep

5. Pass

6. I thing the close focusing of the nikon is a much overlooked feature, is v good for buterflys etc as you end up with a nice working distance and don't disturb them so much, this is what i use mine for mostly now.

7. Yep, but only those compatible, i.e. AF-S nikon lenses (and not all of them) unless you grind off the little tab on T/C F-mount (voids warenty).

8. Yep, more of point 3. I don't have a TC20, though duke muntioned that he has it and it works.

Rog

Hi All,

I'm with Don on this, I've been considering which lense to go for for a long while. I eliminated the Sigma on weight alone, then thought for a long while about the Tamron, but then realised that the Nikon 300 might be a viable alternative and having read a lot I think that I'm now on the verge of getting the Nikon 300 f4 and 1.4 TC. Living in Thailand I do a lot of forest birding, so the shorter focal length is OK, and the extra stop is a major bonus for me over the Tamron. I may buy the 1.7 or 2x TC later on for photographing Spoon-billed Sands (!) and other waders at some stage, but it's not a priority.

I have two questions though:

1) How will the autofocus perform on the Nikon 300 f4, particularly with the 1.4 TC when I use it on my D50 body? Each time I've played wth one in the shop the sale people stick the lense on a D200. Will I notice much difference in speed/hunting?

2) The major complaint I have read over and over again about this lens is the sub-standard tripod collar. An alternative collar can be purchased (see https://www.photoproshop.com/produc...id/87?osCsid=15d82ebaee8aa5073e49cdbb4b43f90e) but it's not exactly cheap. I will use the lense on a monopod a lot of the time, so should i invest in the collar ?

Thanks for any thoughts you have

Best wishes

Dave

Dave, can't help with the D50 question but I haven't noticed my 300/4 having any issues with flex in the collar mount, I have read the articles but can't say I notice in the field, I suppose if you had a rock steady tripod and head it may be the weakest link but on a tripod / monopod whilst panning or tracking a bird through woodland I doubt its noticeable. Saying that the mount on my old 300/4 IF-ED was a lot sturdier because it was shorter.
Back to Q1, I use the 300/4 + 1.4 on my D70s okay, so the focusing isn't as quick as my D200 but its no slouch either and it works good enough for me
Regards
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for this, it's very useful - I think I'll get the lens and see how it goes without buying the other collar.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Best wishes

Dave

I have the af-s 300mm f4 and 1.4 and am really pleased with it.Dont forget you can speed up the auto focus by switching from full to 3m with the switch on the side.

Hi Guys, I am using the Nikkor AF-S 300mm, f/4, with TC-17EII on the D50, and D80. On the D50, it seems to be slightly slower, but okay .... I have to use a tripod to get good shots, Manfrotto Pro190B... and the Nikkor 300mm is so much lighter than my Sigma 50-500 mm.....

In my opinion you cant go wrong with the 300 f4, it's one of the finest lenses that Nikon produce. I use mine with and without a TC-1.4 and have no problems focussing with my D200. It is perfectly capable of being a walkaround lens which the Bigma I used to have certainly wasn't.

Outboard, completely agree a very nice lens BUT I would say that my older 300/4 IF-ED appeared to perform better than my newer AF-S and would have happily kept it if the focusing had been a tad quicker (and quieter)
If you're gonna buy a consumer tele Nikon lens there ain't much to choose from why don't they produce a high quality prime 400/5.6 of would this have a negative impact on the TC market?

If you're gonna buy a consumer tele Nikon lens there ain't much to choose from why don't they produce a high quality prime 400/5.6 of would this have a negative impact on the TC market?

Thats one for the inscrutable Nikon marketing people I'm afraid. Ask them where the D3 is as well will ya.B :)

Hi there, like an alcoholic - I have to admit I suffer from NAS or more commonly called - "Nikon Acquisition Syndrome". I use a D70 & D200 - I also use with them a nikkor 80-400 VR; a 70-300 VR and a Sigma 50-500 Bigma. This last lens is the ONLY non nikkor lens I possess. All are very good depending on the circumstances you are using them under. In a hide - Bigma & 80-400. Trecking - 70-300 &105 Micro Nikkor. Always in pouch / pocket Kenko Pro extension tube set and 1.4 converter. But never forget rule 1 of photography - no light - no pics. All depends on deepness of pockets and what you are comfortable with. You lug it there you lug it back, but all the gear in the world will not make any of us good photographers.

"I take pictures of what I like - if someone else likes them - that's a bonus"
Andy M.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back