• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 300mm AFS 2.8 w/ TC1.7 or 500MM MF f4 P (1 Viewer)

I use a Tamron 1.4 on the 300/4 AF-D on a D-80 and D 50 and it works fine other than the fit to the camera not being as tight as I like but it has caused no problems.

Going with a 300 f/2.8 AFS

Well after much thought I am going to go with the Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AFS and leverage my TC1.7. The 500mm is a beast but a fine piece of glass. I do love action so AF trumps reach.

Thanks all !

You mentioned the Nikon 300mm 2.8VR + 1.7TC. This is the setup I use with a D200. I'm very pleased with the lens. Took this photo of Chough in flight in West Donegal, Ireland today. Taken hand held out of the car window.

Richard

Attachments

• Chough1-web.jpg
    Chough1-web.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 268
I have both a 500 f/4-P and a new 300 f/2.8 VR. For birds in flight, I much prefer the 300mm lens without a converter. I find it hard enough to hold on the bird without one even on a loose ballhead. Occasionally, I'll add a Nikon 14E converter.

300lens.jpg

300 2.8 or not?

This lens is very good sharp hand holdable and the nikon 1.4, 1.7, and 2x TC's all work with the AF
Connot recomend it enough..
Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back