• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D810 (1 Viewer)

JPAC

UK website Expertreviews leaked details of the new Nikon D810 today. UK price £2,700 which is about £1,000 more than price yesterday of the D800 by Jessops. The DX fps has gone to seven, one less than the seven year old D300.

Quote "Nikon has also added an electronic front-curtain shutter, which you can use when the mirror is up in live-view mode. This is designed to minimise internal vibrations caused by the mechanical shutter, eliminating micro-blur. It could prove very useful when using telephoto lenses, such as for wildlife photography."

No massive improvements from what I can see, more details tomorrow at the official announcement.

Source http://nikonrumors.com/ 2014-06-25

It's officially here: http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d810

I think I'll be hanging onto my D800E unless the D810 winds up having at least a 1-stop advantage on noise, which I highly doubt. Although everyone's individual preferences may vary, I would've been sold on a significantly lighter weight (not just 20g less), built-in WiFi, and lower height.

D810 is more than a modest improvement

UK website Expertreviews leaked details of the new Nikon D810 today. UK price £2,700 which is about £1,000 more than price yesterday of the D800 by Jessops. The DX fps has gone to seven, one less than the seven year old D300.

Quote "Nikon has also added an electronic front-curtain shutter, which you can use when the mirror is up in live-view mode. This is designed to minimise internal vibrations caused by the mechanical shutter, eliminating micro-blur. It could prove very useful when using telephoto lenses, such as for wildlife photography."

No massive improvements from what I can see, more details tomorrow at the official announcement.

Source http://nikonrumors.com/ 2014-06-25

Hi,
I would say the D810 is a substantial improvement from the D800 just for the group autofocus and the vibration free mirror.
I part exchanged up my 2.2 year old D800 at a local LCE. The camera was discounted by £150 due to a P/X offer and this was added to their trade in price.

So i get a new better camera and new 2 year warranty for £1450.

The camera immediately felt familiar and yet more comfortable and within one session I was able to track and shoot a 27 frame sequence of a heron across water, against bushes, reeds and then woods without losing focus. I have never been able to that with a D800. The autofocus is the same as that in the D4s but to me never having had one i would just say it is significantly faster and more accurate than the D800 and that was pretty good. For sedentary birds the new balanced mirror offers quiet and better resolution too, and there is electronic first curtain in live view for vibration zero shots if needed.
The absent AAF renders images just that bit clearer though probably not compared to a D800E.
There are lots of thoughtful professional touches too, the best of which is the ability to knock off AF selection modes you don't use from the front wheel. I now just use single point and group AF.

To me well worth it, in fact I'm delighted it is so much better than I thought.
I will be putting D810 images in my Flickr photo stream below. There is one up right now, a Red Kite, which is a 1/9th crop.

Hi,
I would say the D810 is a substantial improvement from the D800 just for the group autofocus and the vibration free mirror.
I part exchanged up my 2.2 year old D800 at a local LCE. The camera was discounted by £150 due to a P/X offer and this was added to their trade in price.

The camera immediately felt familiar and yet more comfortable and within one session I was able to track and shoot a 27 frame sequence of a heron across water, against bushes, reeds and then woods without losing focus. I have never been able to that with a D800. The autofocus is the same as that in the D4s but to me never having had one i would just say it is significantly faster and more accurate than the D800 and that was pretty good. For sedentary birds the new balanced mirror offers quiet and better resolution too, and there is electronic first curtain in live view for vibration zero shots if needed.
The absent AAF renders images just that bit clearer though probably not compared to a D800E.
There are lots of thoughtful professional touches too, the best of which is the ability to knock off AF selection modes you don't use from the front wheel. I now just use single point and group AF.

I will be putting D810 images in my Flickr photo stream below. There is one up right now, a Red Kite, which is a 1/9th crop.

Let's hope the rumoured new full frame Nikon camera has more going for it than the D810.

In general, the D810 seems very good if you only want one camera, however Amateur Photographer had a D810 review this week and I quote
"Serious wildlife and sports photographers could well be hindered by the large file size, and for many, 5-6fps shooting may not be fast enough. Then again, the D810 isn’t really designed for this."

I also wonder if the D810 video is good enough for broadcast now as it was determined that the D800/D4 were not.

The camera is also blighted by moire, examples can be seen on the DPR review.

btw, if NPS want to loan me one for a while I'd be happy to put it through its paces. :t:

Maybe the arrival of the 7D2 may get Nikon to revise their camera line up.

D810 is quite a good action camera

In general, the D810 seems very good if you only want one camera, however Amateur Photographer had a D810 review this week and I quote
"Serious wildlife and sports photographers could well be hindered by the large file size, and for many, 5-6fps shooting may not be fast enough. Then again, the D810 isn’t really designed for this."

I also wonder if the D810 video is good enough for broadcast now as it was determined that the D800/D4 were not.

The camera is also blighted by moire, examples can be seen on the DPR review.

btw, if NPS want to loan me one for a while I'd be happy to put it through its paces. :t:

Maybe the arrival of the 7D2 may get Nikon to revise their camera line up.

There are very few concerns on DPReview or anywhere else regarding the functionality of the D810. Moire has not been a problem for me either with the D810 or the D7100. As for action usage, have you seen this DPReview News article by a sports photographer using one at the commonwealth games?
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3094466889/nikon-d810-a-sport-photographers-impressions?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

Not the moire you need to worry about, it's the white spots before your eyes, especially if it occurs in the 1.2x crop !!!!, see Nikon advisory notice just issued.

Hi,

Rich,
I might need to upgrade mine now. Damn. Maybe I could trade a D800 and a D3s so my wife won't notice.
Neil.

Not the moire you need to worry about, it's the white spots before your eyes, especially if it occurs in the 1.2x crop !!!!, see Nikon advisory notice just issued.

Although I have sent mine in just so it has been done I can't say I have ever seen white spots in normal birding use whatever the crop. The only way I can see them is by shooting a 30s dark frame and then enhance exposure 3 stops and clarity 50%.
So a on issue really and good that Nikon is addressing it head on, unlike it's past record with the the D800 LFP and D600 oil issues.

Funny how when this was first suggested on that "other site", there was a lot of abuse by some about mass hysteria and scare stories etc, well that was until the advisory note arrived in their inbox. Strange that this can't be done by simple firmware update as per normal, but has to be sent in for a 45 min "update". I will wait a week or two until the excitement has died down before mine goes in. Very nice refined camera, every birder should have one.

Funny how when this was first suggested on that "other site", there was a lot of abuse by some about mass hysteria and scare stories etc, well that was until the advisory note arrived in their inbox. Strange that this can't be done by simple firmware update as per normal, but has to be sent in for a 45 min "update". I will wait a week or two until the excitement has died down before mine goes in. Very nice refined camera, every birder should have one.

Got my D810 back from Nikon within a week. White dots are gone and a black dot placed in the tripod thread base. Oddly the shop owner told me that a shutter plate was fixed/replaced?.
Anyway glad it's fine and still working so well.

Price fixing? All of the twelve shops have the same £2,699.00 to the penny on camerpricebuster for the D810 listing.

btw The D810 gets a very good review in N.Photo magazine Sept 2014, the magazine only features Nikon cameras though.

However they say about dynamic range "but it (D810) can’t quite match either the D800 or D610 when shooting at higher sensitivities.

Also, about noise "Although we think the images look better, the noise is more
visible to our lab test"

So two steps forward, one step back?

(NB, Wilkinson cameras have the old D800E for less than £2,000 in the mag)

Finally picked up a D810 on Saturday with a MB-D12 and the 24/1.4 afs lens.
Love the feel of the camera and it's nice and quiet. Reminds me of the D3s/D3 in the hand with the battery pack on.
AF seems fast and accurate and I like the Group AF. I haven't tried it on birds yet though.
Video seems much improved too.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/7892550@N03/15170086321/
Video was shot with the T1 storm signal up so some vibration.
Tested 24/1.4 afs,50/1.8D,Zeiss 28/2.0,70-200/2.8 afs vr and 18-105/3.5-5.6G

Neil.
Hong Kong,
Sept 2014

Last edited:
Some photos withe D810.
1. Zeiss 28/2.0
2. Nikon 18-105/3.5-5.6
3. Nikon 50/1.8D
4. Nikon 24/1.4 afs G
4. Nikon 24/1.4 afs G

Neil.

Attachments

• village lamma D810 Z28mm_DSC0432.jpg
    village lamma D810 Z28mm_DSC0432.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 199
  • fishing boat HK D810 18-105mm_DSC0347.jpg
    fishing boat HK D810 18-105mm_DSC0347.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 172
  • green island HK D810 50mm_DSC0467.jpg
    green island HK D810 50mm_DSC0467.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 154
  • ferry harbor D810 24mm_DSC0241.jpg
    ferry harbor D810 24mm_DSC0241.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 180
  • wheel harbor D810 24mm _DSC0053.jpg
    wheel harbor D810 24mm _DSC0053.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 204
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back