• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No more bird feed (1 Viewer)

Just wondering what is common for investment into bird seed. I am new to bird watching, as I've mentioned, and it is winter in Missouri. So, I imagine myself walking through wooded areas spotting birds in the spring but for now used bird seed to bring them up close in the back yard. I saw Juncos, sparrows, tufted titmouse, lots of blue jays and cardinals, nuthatches and a big woodpecker - Red Breasted. I think a couple more species but they were not here often enough for me to identify. I think I saw a black-capped chickadee but it didn't stay long for some reason. Also, so big crows were coming and going and they seem to scare off the birds for a while. Just wondering if anyone from Missouri might post to tell me what to watch for this spring that might not be able to see other times of the year or maybe something that arrives in spring that hasn't been here this winter. Birding is fun, but I have terrible binoculars. I do not know when I will invest in better ones. I need something very low in cost. I hope to luck into some this spring. Still, watching birds draws me away from my daily concerns and tickles my knowledge bone. I enjoy learning the names of the birds that I have seen during my lifetime instead of saying "oooo, that is a pretty bird". Now, I can say that I think nuthatches are pretty. This spring, I am afraid they will stay away from here and be in the woods making it hard for me to see. Maybe a bird bath should be my next purchase.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back