• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No Takers for Nyjer (1 Viewer)

tweezak

I've been really disappointed that we haven't seen any birds at all going to either the nyjer tube feeder in our front yard or the sock in the back yard. The tube has been out since January and the sock probably out for a month or more.

Birds we have been getting are eating a millet and cracked corn mix, black oil sunflower seeds and a fruit and nut suet. Specific species I have seen are bushtits, house sparrows, chickadees and juncos (on the ground). My wife saw a single goldfinch last week in one of our trees but not on a feeder.

So many stores around here sell nyjer (in very large quantities) that I have a hard time believing we don't get any species that favor that seed.

I'm in the mid Willamette Valley in Oregon. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

I hate Nyger seed, it is darn expensive, and the bloomin' goldfinches like black oil sunflower seeds just as well.
You might try moving the feeders around? Once a flock of siskins or goldfinches finds a nyger tube, they will mob it. I am honestly surprised that a squirrel hasn't shredded the sock by now?

Maybe whining is the key...this morning before I left for work I saw 2 american goldfinches on the nyjer tube feeder. First time ever and the day after I pissed and moaned here.

At least they know it's there now.

I started offering nyjar about a year ago, and just this month, I started getting 2. I think the wait was well worth it, because I used to offer sunflower seeds but they didn't come to these.

It's about time!

These didn't start showing up 'til late April. No shortage now! They seem to have all but chased off the sparrows.

Attachments

• sock.JPG
    sock.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 89
  • tube.JPG
    tube.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 94
I now have a cure for the mess around the nyger seed feeder - my local collared doves have developed a liking and are landing on the saucer shaped base and are keeping it cleaned up!

White millet seeds seem just as welcome as niger and when the birds discovered the millet in my feeders they soon started feeding.

I posted this in another thread recently:

I am pretty new to feeding and bought a thistle (nyger) feeder two months ago. For the first week I watched it like a hawk thinking all the finches would flock to it. WRONG! I became incredibly discouraged and did a search for "thistle" here and discovered that on average it takes about 3 months to attract birds to thistle, particularly goldies. If after that time they are still not coming, then try moving it to another location.

I lucked out and about three weeks ago I started seeing red finches on the feeder. Then the goldies started to come. I have 2-4 goldfinches daily that hang out in the nearby tree and eat from it all day long. I expect more will come over time.

EDIT TO ADD: You can also mix in some millet and "canary seed" which the finches also like. Also--USE A SPILL TRAY. You will NOT believe how much they spill. Handfuls. Droll and Songbird tube feeders don't come with them but you can buy them separately. Another option is to buy a non-tube feeder
with a tray (there's a common green one, not sure what the name is).

Patience is the key! :)

It seems to be as much luck as anything.

I had the sock hanging in the back yard for a long time. No action at all.
I filled the tube in front as well...no takers for a long long time.
When Goldfinches started swarming the tube, I hung the sock up near the tube...a few feet away. Oddly...nobody went near it. It was completely ignored for days. I then moved it right next to the tube with the idea that they might land on it while waiting in line for the tube. That's what they were doing with the hummingbird feeder.

Lo and behold, after about 10 minutes a single finch landed on the sock and I think totally by accident realized that there was food in it! As soon as he discovered the food and started eating, others began landing there and the jig was up.

So basically, unless they stumble on it or see another bird eating there...it may take a very long time for them to find your feeders.

As far as food, my parents are having mind blowing Goldfinch success with sunflower seed chips...and they don't sprout like whole seeds. I may give that a try soon.

i hung up a sock with nyger about a week ago.the next day i saw my first goldie.now i've seen at least a half dozen at one time fighting over it.

Hmm..
I must've been one of the "lucky few". I saw goldfinch eating at my BOSS feeder, so I immediately went out and purchased a tube feeder with Nyger, and ever since it's been up I have a group of about 15 that feed on and off all day. I have a sock and a tube- they LOVE the sock!
Only, a stinkin' squirrel shredded it a day or 2 ago.. time to by a new one!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back