• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nor sure what this is. New Bern, North Carolina. In a hedge next to a marsh. 3/16/2023. (1 Viewer)

fiveroll

United States
Not the best photo. May not be adequate.

Attachments

• IMG_3846.jpg
    IMG_3846.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3850.jpg
    IMG_3850.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    814.5 KB · Views: 50
It's a sparrow -- could well be a Song Sparrow, and that's pretty common. But I'd need a better photo. If it's a Song then it has streaks on the breast that are blurred out of the photo. If the breast is really grey, it's something else, maybe a White-throated (but that should have a brighter white stripe on the head). Might even be one of the rare sharp-tailed sparrows, if you're on the coast.

Edit: yeah, I could go for Swamp, if it's an immature one. Habitat certainly fits.

Song Sparrow was my first thought.. I saw a dark spot on the chest on one of the pics.
"dark spot on chest" is one of those widespread but more or less mythological (in terms of usefulness) field marks for Song Sparrow. Swamp, American Tree, White-throated, Savannah (occasionally), Lincoln's (occasionally) etc. can all show a central breast spot :)

Agreed with Swamp for this bird based on the extensive rusty colouring on wings and limited/indistinct streaking on flanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back