• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (8 Viewers)

Titchwell mystery wader more pics

A few more pics..

Attachments

• TitchwellpeepBF7.jpg
    TitchwellpeepBF7.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 124
  • TitchwellpeepBF8.jpg
    TitchwellpeepBF8.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 161
  • TitchwellpeepBF9.jpg
    TitchwellpeepBF9.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 99
Hi Mark

Not saying it isn't a Dunlin. It just seemed to have a much more striking super behind te eye and a shorter bill, as well as being shorter. The head was strikingly rufous and it appeared to have a little rufous area on the cheeks. The flank streaking appeared to be thinner and heavier to me than other Dunlin present.

It seemed to appear quite bull-necked, and almost crouched and a little top-heavy. At times it appeared to have longer primary projection, but not sure if that was simply the angle of viewing.

I guess it could simply be a smaller race Dunlin and as I said I realise now not a White-rumped Sandpiper.

It was cold up on the bank, and maybe all the other good birds made me make more out of this bird than I should have done!!

I did put it out as a possible, and showed photos at the centre, though they were none the wiser.

You live and learn :).

Good birding

Sean

Hi Sean

Definitely a (smallish) Dunlin. As the attached (rubbish) image of the White-rumped Sandpiper that was at Snettisham 22/8/13 shows, the underpart streaks on that species 'hug' the line of the wings, and continue all the way to the sides of the vent (albeit sparsely), whilst the central belly is clean white.

In contrast, the streaks on Dunlin come away from the line of the wing, creating the impression of a clean white 'wedge' that broadens from the 'shoulder' of the closed wing towards the tail. The area of streaking on (juv) Dunlin at this time of year matches the area that will be black in breeding plumage. In my experience, very few Dunlin show streaking on the vent-sides.

There are various other features but I think the black belly-streaking of Dunlin is unique amongst the Calidrids that have been recorded in Britain.

Cheers

Attachments

• WrSand1.jpg
    WrSand1.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Hi Sean. I was only my first thoughts on seing your photos was that it was a Dunlin. Dunlin and Sanderling get mistaken for all things rare! You are also in good company as all of us have fallen into the "rare" trap at some point. Enjoy your birding and remember common waders (particularly Dunlin) come in all all shapes and sizes. Paul who works at RSPB Titchwell would have been able to ID your bird from your photo's. Kind Regards. Mark.

Last edited:
Wilsons showing better this morning in the sunlight.

John

wwwkellingnature.zenfolio.com

Attachments

• BU2H0912.jpg
    BU2H0912.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 168
  • BU2H0948.jpg
    BU2H0948.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 207
Titchwell September 18th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - 2 juvs on fresh marsh all day although elusive at times
Spoonbill - 2 on fresh marsh
Long tailed duck - 2 offshore
Little stint - 2 on fresh marsh
Pink footed goose - 200+ in small flocks in/off sea this afternoon

Paul

Thanks

Hi Sean

Definitely a (smallish) Dunlin. As the attached (rubbish) image of the White-rumped Sandpiper that was at Snettisham 22/8/13 shows, the underpart streaks on that species 'hug' the line of the wings, and continue all the way to the sides of the vent (albeit sparsely), whilst the central belly is clean white.

In contrast, the streaks on Dunlin come away from the line of the wing, creating the impression of a clean white 'wedge' that broadens from the 'shoulder' of the closed wing towards the tail. The area of streaking on (juv) Dunlin at this time of year matches the area that will be black in breeding plumage. In my experience, very few Dunlin show streaking on the vent-sides.

Cheers

Hi Nick

I've seen White-rumped Sandpiper before, and indeed refound the bird on Layer Breton causeway a couple of years back, but have not had many chances to see them abroad, as I've mainly birded Asia and Australia.

Anyway the white wedge was something I could see in the photos afterwards, but not in the field, as the birds were constantly moving.

I thought the extent of the black streaking on the flanks also wasn't right,
but I guess I was just fooled by its seemingly smaller size and more hunched demeanour.

I'm usually a bit more cautious about putting news out until I'm absolutely certain. Hence I went into the centre I wanted to have someone to give a second opinion/reality check :). Ashame Paul wasn't there, but they were still very helpful in the centre. In hindsight I probably should've waited until I'd had a chance to go back over my notes and images before putting any sort of news out.

Second time I've made a faux-pas this autumn, so will keep my head down & keep improving my clearly rusty ID skils..too much time spent abroad looking at seabirds clearly!! :)

Thanks for the responses by Paul, Mark & Nick .

Hope to find something good for all you Norfolkite birders soon.

Good birding

Sean

Hi Nick

I've seen White-rumped Sandpiper before, and indeed refound the bird on Layer Breton causeway a couple of years back, but have not had many chances to see them abroad, as I've mainly birded Asia and Australia.

Anyway the white wedge was something I could see in the photos afterwards, but not in the field, as the birds were constantly moving.

but I guess I was just fooled by its seemingly smaller size and more hunched demeanour.

I'm usually a bit more cautious about putting news out until I'm absolutely certain. Hence I went into the centre I wanted to have someone to give a second opinion/reality check :). Ashame Paul wasn't there, but they were still very helpful in the centre. In hindsight I probably should've waited until I'd had a chance to go back over my notes and images before putting any sort of news out.

Second time I've made a faux-pas this autumn, so will keep my head down & keep improving my clearly rusty ID skils..too much time spent abroad looking at seabirds clearly!! :)

Good birding

Sean

Hi Sean

At least you came in and told someone, most people would normally write that in the book, not tell anyone and leave!

I had a pleasant evening looking for it anyway

Paul

Hi Nick

Good birding

Sean

No probs at all – as Paul says, better to tell some one and get a second opinion (though it seems relatively few folk are prepared to follow up possible/probable reports on the news services).

I started to entertain ideas of a Yank whilst watching a small Calidrid through my '2nd' (ie naff) scope a few summers ago. Called in a mate with a Swaro and guess what? Juv Dunlin! Fortunately he'd been painting the living room and was only too happy for an excuse to get out!

Last edited:
There are examples of both alpina and small number of schinzii sub-species of Dunlin around at the moment, and the schinzii are notably a size smaller in the hand. The main bulk of them use the East coast as a stop over point after breeding and continue their migration on to Africa.

Agree that bird was a dunlin. Race in-determined.

Watchers should not be afraid to put news out (or post photographs) of unidentified birds they have found.

Too large for least sandpiper (dream on!). Semi-palmated sandpiper was a possibility but photos show birds feet fit dunlin as ID, never mind other features on the bird which can be studied at leisure on our computers.

(Lesser grey shrike near Sizewell found by non-twitchers who were unsure of its ID.)

Does any have any photos of Two-barred Crossbills taken this week at Lynford? Is there actually an adult male present? It would be cool to determine just how many are knocking about.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back