• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (22 Viewers)

Titchwell

Hello All,

A couple of lady friends of mine are visiting Titchwell for the first time next week. Could anybody tell me what the quality of the paths is like there? Is it a wellies job or would sensible shoes be OK?

TIA

As John says, the paths are hard and smooth enough for a wheelchair and there are boardwalks as well. The only thing I would mention is that due to the coastal flooding last month the boardwalk to the beach has been destroyed and to get to the beach requires a short walk over loose, uneven sand and quite a steep step down. The staff in the visitor centre will be happy to give your friends any advice they need.

Drake Mandarin in The Walks at King's Lynn, Glossy Ibis showing well this afternoon at Cley, Barn Owl just south of Burnham Overy Mill.

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

First visit to Titchwell today had a really enjoyable day and look forward to returning in the future its a lovely place. Highlights for us (novices) were the Avocets and Egyptian Geese :)

Thanks Jim

A quick thanks to Jim, who I met today at his Surlingham Church Broad patch. No luck with the little owls tip today but I'll definitely keep looking in that area in future. Walked on from there to the hide/shelter, nice views of marsh tit on the way; then good views, but rubbishy pics, of juvenile hen harrier low across the broad. Female marsh harrier a few minutes later. Lovely patch. Cheers

A quick thanks to Jim, who I met today at his Surlingham Church Broad patch. No luck with the little owls tip today but I'll definitely keep looking in that area in future. Walked on from there to the hide/shelter, nice views of marsh tit on the way; then good views, but rubbishy pics, of juvenile hen harrier low across the broad. Female marsh harrier a few minutes later. Lovely patch. Cheers

Well done with the Hen Harrier- they have been scarce this Winter and I haven't had one at Church Marsh for a while. Always a good bird, particularly good considering the mild January we are having! Glad you enjoyed your walk, as we said it is as much about that as anything else.
Had a quick look at your Flickr feed, some smashing shots there!

Cheers,
Jim.

I went to the same patch 2 weeks ago surprisingly good and quiet patch. So the juvenile hen harrier still there I guess s/he is settle there for winter roosting. Will definitely visit again although the walking patch is not that great * very muddy*. Also keep an eye on the pine trees, you might score few goldcrests :t:

Hopefully the hen harrier will put in an appearance at this afternoons hh roost count.they usually do a bunk for this one evening a month! I suspect it could be the same bird as is roosting in the strumpshaw area... But if anyone is there this evening and sees the bird note the time and let me know as I'll add it to the bto hen harrier roost watch data.

I went to the same patch 2 weeks ago surprisingly good and quiet patch. So the juvenile hen harrier still there I guess s/he is settle there for winter roosting. Will definitely visit again although the walking patch is not that great * very muddy*. Also keep an eye on the pine trees, you might score few goldcrests :t:

All right lads keep it down, we'll have the whole of Norfolk down there if not careful ;) If people are that desperate to see a Mealy Redpoll at UEA, you never know!
The track is bad, will be like that until at least March now.
Glad to hear the Harrier has been around for at least 2 weeks then, hopefully unperturbed by the gun club. Will definitely try to get down there tonight, provided Sunday lunch and subsequent drinks do not overrun.

Cheers,
Jim.

As John says, the paths are hard and smooth enough for a wheelchair and there are boardwalks as well. The only thing I would mention is that due to the coastal flooding last month the boardwalk to the beach has been destroyed and to get to the beach requires a short walk over loose, uneven sand and quite a steep step down. The staff in the visitor centre will be happy to give your friends any advice they need.

Thanks for the info Rob and John :t:

There were 11 Tree Sparrows at the ever reliable site of Forncett, Common Farm this afternoon and other sightings here during the course of a generally enjoyable day included Peregrine, Common Buzzard, Little Owl, 150 Fieldfares and 61 Carrion Crows of which one was aberrant, having predominantly creamy-white wings and tail and milk chocolate coloured head, body and underparts. Interesting looking bird really.

Nearby at Gt Moulton Bridge there was a Little Egret, two Bullfinches, another Little Owl, Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming (first one heard by me this year). At dusk there was a pre-roost gathering of 85 Greenfinches - my biggest flock for some time - and two Grey Wagtails flew in to roost.

Steve.

Titchwell January 22nd

A combination of being out of the office and not many birds accounts for a lack of recent updates

Today's highlights

Hen harrier - ringtail around the reserve throughout the day. The bird roosted to the west of the main path on Sunday evening along with 13 marsh harriers
Barn owl - 1-2 around the reserve most days at the moment
Avocet - 29 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 34 on fresh marsh
Golden plover - 500 on fresh marsh

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back