• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (44 Viewers)

Bird with blue grey head and russet back spotted on v quiet footpath at Blakeney today. We had quite a good view until it flew off in the Cley direction. Nothing I can see in four guides matches it. Perhaps it was an Ortolan bunting.

A short-eared owl flew over the A1065 as we drove to Blakeney yesterday. Perhaps the same bird that was seen at Snettisham a couple of days ago.

A good weekend on the patch and away from home.

Lynford yesterday with James and Connor, and we enjoyed good views of presumed 1w male Two-barred Crossbill, followed by 2 definite males and a female. Awesome birds and well worth enduring the dips of last year! Also at least 4 singing Firecrest and 2 Hawfinch in the arboretum itself.

New in at Surlingham this morning were Willow Warbler and Blackcap. 2 Green Sandpiper, Sparrowhawk, Kingfisher and Shelduck added some variety.

As I type we are losing the light but it is 7.45pm; evening walks now back on the cards!

Cheers,
Jim.

Bird with blue grey head and russet back spotted on v quiet footpath at Blakeney today. We had quite a good view until it flew off in the Cley direction. Nothing I can see in four guides matches it. Perhaps it was an Ortolan bunting.

A short-eared owl flew over the A1065 as we drove to Blakeney yesterday. Perhaps the same bird that was seen at Snettisham a couple of days ago.

Linnet?

Today at Sculthorpe

Willow warbler
12+ Chiffchaffs
30+ bramblings
5 Bullfinches
6 Buzzards
4 Sparrowhawks
2 marsh harriers
6 nuthatches
10 redwings
little egret
mating marsh tits
water vole
bank vole

50 species seen in 3 hours plus half a dozen obvious 'misses'

Gordon

And a singing Willow Tit, picked up by call and then watched singing! What a delight! (A very bad photo obtained)

And a singing Willow Tit, picked up by call and then watched singing! What a delight! (A very bad photo obtained)

I thought there hadn't been any willow tits at sculthorpe for several years ? I have personally never seen or heard a willow tit at sculthopre in the last 6 years, do they still exist there ? I did see one at Hempton which isn't far away but that was 4-5 yerars ago.

I believe they are now confined to the brecks and west norfolk, are there any left in the broads ?

Dunnock?

A few times at Strumpshaw yesterday we were alerted to the presence of a male Marsh Harrier above us by its repeated call. It was flying so high that it was barely visible to the naked eye but the call was quite loud. Something which I don't hear very often.

Ron

I thought there hadn't been any willow tits at sculthorpe for several years ? I have personally never seen or heard a willow tit at sculthopre in the last 6 years, do they still exist there ? I did see one at Hempton which isn't far away but that was 4-5 yerars ago.

I believe they are now confined to the brecks and west norfolk, are there any left in the broads ?

Well there was one singing yesterday and the staff said they were seen in that spot quite regularly so I guess so, yes!

If you're heading out to Lynford or elsewhere in the Brecks do keep an eye open for colour-ringed Firecrests. These have been ringed as part of a local project in Thetford Forest, where there are around 70 territories. Send any sightings to Greg Conway ([email protected]).
Thanks.

Titchwell April 1st

Today's highlights

Bittern - male booming from eastern end of the reedbed until 7am at least
Velvet scoter - 13 offshore
Long tailed duck - 3 offshore
Swallow - 2 west
Wheatear - 1 on beach
Med gull - 2 displaying adults on fresh marsh

Paul

(Re willow tits)

None left in the Broads at all unfortunately. They and Lesser peckers have all disappeared very rapidly. Strumpshaw still receives the odd report but when followed up it is usually a singing or odd calling marsh tit.

Titchwell April 2nd

Today's highlights

A very different day to yesterday with fog persisting all day!!

Little ringed plover - 1st record of the spring on Patsy's reedbed this morning
Swallow - 1 west
Sand martin - 2 over fresh marsh
Wheatear - 1 on beach
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Today's highlights

A very different day to yesterday with fog persisting all day!!

Little ringed plover - 1st record of the spring on Patsy's reedbed this morning
Swallow - 1 west
Sand martin - 2 over fresh marsh
Wheatear - 1 on beach
Spotted redshank - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

That's not fog - killer smog according to the news last night. Take your inhalers if you brave the walk to the beach.

Steve

Sandhill Crane over Norwich
Seems that the Sandhill Crane flew over Norwich on it's route from Snettisham to Kessingland. Or at least that's how it appears on the front of the brochure for the 2014 Norfolk and Norwich Festival!

Mick

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 134
(Re willow tits)

None left in the Broads at all unfortunately. They and Lesser peckers have all disappeared very rapidly. Strumpshaw still receives the odd report but when followed up it is usually a singing or odd calling marsh tit.

So much emphasis is placed on using the call to distinguish between these two species but not enough emphasis is placed on the variation in Marsh Tit vocalisation types. Sure the classic 'pi-choo' of Marsh Tit is a world apart from the typical nasal call of Willow Tit, but what some people don't seem to realise is that Marsh Tit will also give a more drawn out, repeated call that has a reasonably nasal quality. It is quite different from Willow Tit, but it's not all that different from how Willow Tit is described (and perhaps remembered, if you've not heard a real one for a while).

I'm afraid I don't find Willow Tit reports credible purely because the observer heard it call. I think nowadays it would be wise for anyone finding Willow Tit away from the Brecks to sound record it, if at all possible - and it should be easy for anyone with a smartphone (thanks to Andy for advice about the PCM recorder app).

Still not seen a hirundine this year. A whole lot better than last year mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back