• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (116 Viewers)

Hi Lee,

The crosstracks are, at a guess, somewhere in the region of a mile west of Lady Ann's Drive, well past the estate houses which you walk right by on your left, and at a point where it is pretty obvious that another track crosses the main track.

If you're hoping to see the RFB, I was there yesterday and it was no longer being viewed from a point visible from the track. If I hadn't been with someone who knew where it was I would have walked right past without knowing it, as the group of birders was completely invisible from the track. It is in to the left and round behind some bushes. It might be worth going 50yds or so past the crosstracks and waiting to see anyone coming out of the bushes!

Incidentally, quite a while ago, maybe a couple of years or so, someone posted a very helpful map of the well known reference points in the Wells/Holkham Woods, such as the Crosstracks, the Dell, the old toilet block etc. It might have been Firstreesjohn, I'm not sure. I spent a while using the forum's advanced search function but couldn't find it. If anyone has such a map, or can locate that post, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by many newer and non-local birders.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, i have the Wells map but it does come over as far as that. (James just linked it in a other post).

I'll try to Google earth it for that cross way section....

Although RFB at wells today (at least i know where that bit is!!)

Ta Lee

Last edited:
North Norfolk a collectors paradise at the moment: Red-f Bluetail, Blyth's Reed Warbler, Hume's Leaf and Pallas's Warbler all at Wells Woods. Just park in the P&D car-park beyond Pinewoods and follow the crowds. Holkham Pines similar, with R-F Bluetail, Isabelline Shrike and Pallas's W. Just Park at Lady Anne's Drive P&D car-park and follow the crowds. GG Shrikes widespread, but Yellow-broweds in surprisingly short supply, although odd ones all along the coast, with each Warham access holding one (and Garden Drove a Pallas's W too). Isabelline Shrike and O-b Pipit at Beeston and Weybourne respectively
are both showy padders. Some glaring gaps in the list though; surely there's a Siberian Stonechat somewhere, but hopefully something much rarer just waiting for its weekend discovery...

North Norfolk a collectors paradise at the moment: Red-f Bluetail, Blyth's Reed Warbler, Hume's Leaf and Pallas's Warbler all at Wells Woods. Just park in the P&D car-park beyond Pinewoods and follow the crowds. Holkham Pines similar, with R-F Bluetail, Isabelline Shrike and Pallas's W. Just Park at Lady Anne's Drive P&D car-park and follow the crowds. GG Shrikes widespread, but Yellow-broweds in surprisingly short supply, although odd ones all along the coast, with each Warham access holding one (and Garden Drove a Pallas's W too). Isabelline Shrike and O-b Pipit at Beeston and Weybourne respectively
are both showy padders. Some glaring gaps in the list though; surely there's a Siberian Stonechat somewhere, but hopefully something much rarer just waiting for its weekend discovery...

I've just arrived back from Porthgwarra having spent 3 weeks away and the only thing on your list above I have seen is YBW irrespective of covering 9m a day and down there they have elevation which I suppose saves going to the gym.
The way things going this year I expect a major clear out tomorrow when I arrive @ my local patch.
The pager messages have been incredible this week and perhaps unprecedented although a little predictable unfortunately so far.
Just hope a Sibe Rubythroat or TBWarbler turn up to add some spice.

A long long time ago
I still remember how funny the Norfolk thread used to be
And I knew if I found an Owl
Birders would howl and wail and claim fowl
And maybe they'd be grumpy for a while
But this October's made me shiver
A flood of rares, yet not a quiver
Blanket silence through and through
You've all emigrated to Peru?
I can't remember if I cried
When i counted those seething replies
No birders searching for the liers
The day the Norfolk Thread died

So bye bye Norfolk thread whine
Disbelief by FTJ, but FTJ said bye,
Them good old stringers heading out to East Hills
Now a one man show by J Mills

Did you string Grey-necked Bunting
and were you always chuntering
In The Norfolk Threads golden age?
Did you see 1 LTS when we saw them all
and did you miss the Great Shear clarion call
and can you teach me to suppress Allwood style

Well I know you found a PGTips
And I know you laugh when everyone dips
The other side of the sea wall
Is where you hear Andy Kane ball

I was a spiky Argie Bargie blogger
With my local patch and my funny stuff
But now I know I'm out of the scene
It's true, the Norfolk Thread's died

I started singing, bye bye Norfolk thread whine
Disbelief at FTJ, but FTJ said bye,
Them good old stringers heading out to Scolt Head
Singing this could be the year noone read

Now for 3 years I've been off the Norfolk Scene
and what a turgid read it's been
But that's not how it used to be
With Wilson's and Fea's in the same year
And the seawatchers cheered the blues away
and we danced all the way back to Cromer Pier

But while Norfolk comments were going down
Other county threads took the birding crown
The excitement was curtailed
everyone was watching Wales
No Blakeney walkers hailed
While The Norfolk tread struggled for controversy
Upton Warren was what everyone wanted to see
The Batten's left, the Stratton's bailed
It's true, the Norfolk threads died

That Trumpeter at the point, we're getting the boat
But this could be the year noone wrote
This could be the year noone wrote

And has Penny Clarke even given up the ghost?
She was always the one that wrote the most
and whatever happened to Neville, Locustella and Co?
They were the first stringy young 'uns to show
They claimed Cory's when we said Gannet
Have they all moved to Thanet?
The dash to diss the latest blog
That showy Bittern on Beeston Bog
The beeping of pagers, people moans
Photographers slagged off in drones
The latest newbie to fall
We ripped into them all!

But now we only hear updates from Eales
No petty squabbles, boring this feels
No banter from Stuart White
The day the Norfolk thread died

The simple misID's that turned into fights
The last one out turn off the lights

Fitting eulogy Josh (FOREVER pom skua indeed) - you brightened the scene and wrecked my bike*! Never forget many things, particularly your sea watching gear when you donned a cheap orange flotation suit and cycled to Sheringham. You did your stuff no matter and for that I tug my forlock to you

All the best.

Pat

" See you in the next world and don't be late."
* Still owed me £20 but written off for the craic.

Last edited:
A lot of interesting stuff around.

Is it fair to say park at Wells-Next-The-Sea car park for the BRW, and Lady Anne's Drive for the Holkham Pines stuff? Is the drinking pool and the cross-tracks more easily accessed from Wells end, or from Lady Anne's Drive?

Cheers in anticipation of any advice.

Last edited:
No, he's correct K. I recall the time when your crew put in a lot of effort in the field as the new kids on the block and sometimes the odd eyebrow was raised*. It happens and to more peeps that we know, love and have a huge amount of experience behind them. Pleased you've got a Correes through in Norfolk, more than me but that wouldn't take much.K, you guys stuck to your guns and made the effort, ruffled a few feathers along the way and came out the other side. . Did you string? I have no idea. Did anyone cock up or mis id - perhaps.. I have. Are we any wiser? Yep. And was the poem a bit of fun, of course. Lets go back to being grey and neutral, goodnight all.

Yes J - the one you rode ET style into the quay!

God bless you all.

Pat

* Also I remember quite a bit of scorn on reports of Black throated diver too, which were classed in those days as fairly infrequent per the Bird and Mammal report, but I think you and your posse nailed one.

"Forward he cried, from the rear, and the front men died." Pink Floyd

Last edited:

Is it fair to say park at Wells-Next-The-Sea car park for the BRW, and Lady Anne's Drive for the Holkham Pines stuff? Is the drinking pool and the cross-tracks more easily accessed from Wells end, or from Lady Anne's Drive?

Cross-tracks is Holkham Pines and Drinking Pool is Wells Woods. Might be worth walking the entire length rather than moving the car if you have the day free. Can't remember which is cheapest to park at during this time of year. Is it the BRW you are after? ;)

O

From Wells beach car park to the further most point where there are a couple of Pallas's ( before reaching Holkham gap) & having picked up rarities en route is about 1:25m.
From Lady Ann car park to the west end of pines is 1:7m.
If you park @ Wells beach and walk to the end if the Holkham pines its 3:24m ....by the time to get back to your car you will have walked well in excess of 7m.
Parking charges....
Over 4 hours and all day £6.50*
*Purchase of an all day parking ticket allows free parking on the same day in Holkham Park (saving of £2.50).
I use Strava tracker and was parked @ Wells beach and visited all the sites west to Washington hide and recorded 6m.
Best thing is to walk from Wells beach and get a 'loved one' to park the car for you @ Lady Ann.
Good luck

Last edited:
Brilliant, thanks Phil, Hamish.

I do fancy a day trip if I can get a good nights sleep.

Phil, I no longer need BRW mate but of all the goodies, it is the species present that I would like to observe a bit more, observe its behaviour etc. I know the BBRC determined that the one of the three I have seen was a ERW, though that means ERW's can now call like BRW's:t:

I just fancy a good days birding as there is nothing on the mainland to go for that is new to me.

Embarrassingly, I still need Tawny Pipit in the UK, though they are getting very rare.

As far as getting a loved one to pick me up, not sure I could get anyone:-C.

And the wife will be sat on the sofa watching Kardashians, Eastenders re-runs, or TOWIE.

Maybe that's what drives me out to Norfolk.

Thanks again for the tips both.

Last edited:
Good to see Josh's post lamenting the death of the thread having (I assume) intended impact: people posting again!
Decided to avoid the crowds today, although would still like to see Humes, perhaps under different circumstances. Instead, myself and Mrs.B spent an enjoyable couple of hours at Yarmouth Cemetery before observing the Lowestoft Great Grey Shrike. The cem was alive with crests, Robins, Redwing. 2 Brambling flew over and I flushed a Woodcock. Another chap had 2 Firecrest and a Ring Ouzel. Easily the most Goldcrest I've ever seen at a single site, 100+.
Out tomorrow morning to Caister working north. Looking forward to a full day in the field.
Cheers,
Jim.

A long long time ago

..... ..... .....

How heartily I agree with your eloquent eulogy for a lost friend. I've been thinking the same recently, but especially this last week. Look at the reports over the last few days, or just today's from Holkham/Wells. Multiple RFBs and Pallas's (imagine the stir that would have caused not too many years back), plus Isabelline Shrike, Blyth's Reed Warbler, plus supporting cast. I've been along there a couple of times this week, and there's nothing to compare with that location in these conditions - magical! Yet barely a whisper on here. A couple of years back there would have been sufficient posts to fill several pages. Where has everyone gone?

What is he correct about Pat? The fact I was at the Cory's or that I am stringy? Which is it?

I've never been able to work it out with Locustella, either he's got this total genius Eddie persona nailed to a tee or he is actually taking genuine offence, either way its a joke, nothing personal intended and hope to see you cats out in the field when I'm up soon

I got some of the heaviest flac for all the Lt Skuas sightings but just water off a ducks back man, you know all part of the argie bargie

Thanks Pat, but you still haven't answered my questions :brains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9U-Rzd7Lqs

Funny stuff was enough for me, I'll get in a bottle of the elixir, as for trippy experiences, I've been flying with the Poms since I've been away :hippy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFRDhgVs-1Q

Brilliant, thanks Phil, Hamish.

I do fancy a day trip if I can get a good nights sleep.

Phil, I no longer need BRW mate but of all the goodies, it is the species present that I would like to observe a bit more, observe its behaviour etc. I know the BBRC determined that the one of the three I have seen was a ERW, though that means ERW's can now call like BRW's:t:

Just a thought. The BRW is no more than around 100yds from the Wells beach car park. Depending on the time/money(!) you have available it might be worth relocating to L A Drive after you've seen it, walking back for the other goodies, and then continuing west along the Holkham stretch.

Nigel

I bought an all day parking ticket at Wells Woods for £6.50, spent the morning there and saw the Blyth's, the Bluetail and the Hume's before driving round to Lady Anne's Drive where my ticket was also valid. (Both all day and week-long tickets allow you to do this apparently.) I then walked west and saw the Isabelline Shrike and the other Bluetail. A fantastic day out and, I think, the best way to cut out very long walks. A word of warning re. the Wells Woods car park: quite a lot of it is out of use as there is work being done on it and people were being turned away as what car park remains open was completely full when I left around midday.
Cheers,
Thomas

What a great and witty poem.

We do indeed need a "like" button on Bird Forum.

Rob and I are seeing Steve ( aka Stratton) tomorrow - we are off east, not north.

I will let him know your concern about him bailing... :t:
Thanks for the witty tome - definitely brightens up the Norfolk thread :t:
A long long time ago

So bye bye Norfolk thread whine
Disbelief by FTJ, but FTJ said bye,
Them good old stringers heading out to East Hills

Did you string Grey-necked Bunting
and were you always chuntering
In The Norfolk Threads golden age?
Did you see 1 LTS when we saw them all
and did you miss the Great Shear clarion call
and can you teach me to suppress Allwood style

Well I know you found a PGTips
And I know you laugh when everyone dips
The other side of the sea wall
Is where you hear Andy Kane ball

I was a spiky Argie Bargie blogger
With my local patch and my funny stuff
But now I know I'm out of the scene
It's true, the Norfolk Thread's died

Them good old stringers heading out to Scolt Head

Now for 3 years I've been off the Norfolk Scene
and what a turgid read it's been
But that's not how it used to be
With Wilson's and Fea's in the same year
And the seawatchers cheered the blues away
and we danced all the way back to Cromer Pier

But while Norfolk comments were going down
Other county threads took the birding crown
The excitement was curtailed
everyone was watching Wales
No Blakeney walkers hailed
While The Norfolk tread struggled for controversy
Upton Warren was what everyone wanted to see
The Batten's left, the Stratton's bailed
It's true, the Norfolk threads died

That Trumpeter at the point, we're getting the boat
But this could be the year noone wrote
This could be the year noone wrote

And has Penny Clarke even given up the ghost?
She was always the one that wrote the most
and whatever happened to Neville, Locustella and Co?
They were the first stringy young 'uns to show
They claimed Cory's when we said Gannet
Have they all moved to Thanet?
The dash to diss the latest blog
That showy Bittern on Beeston Bog
The beeping of pagers, people moans
Photographers slagged off in drones
The latest newbie to fall
We ripped into them all!

But now we only hear updates from Eales
No petty squabbles, boring this feels
No banter from Stuart White
The day the Norfolk thread died

Imagine if the perennial lurkers actually posted, we may even have a discussion.
What are people hoping for tomorrow?
Is it simply a case of more eyes in the field, or is north simply better than east due to geography?
Cheers,
Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back