• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (105 Viewers)

Titchwell September 5th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 7 on fresh marsh but mobile
Black tern - 1 west this morning
Little stint - 6 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 4 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 7 on fresh marsh
Red kite - 3 west this morning
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Wigeon - 7 on Patsy's reedbed
Wheatear - 1 on beach

Paul

Titchwell September 6th

Today's highlights

Garganey - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Pintail - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Little stint - 7 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 2 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 4 west this morning
Knot - 100 roosting on fresh marsh
Spotted redshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Little gull - 1 offshore
Spotted flycatcher - 1 in carpark this morning

Paul

Titchwell September 8th

Today's highlights

Little stint - 5 on fresh marsh
Dunlin - 50 on fresh marsh
Spoonbill - 13 on fresh marsh
Peregrine - 2 through reserve today
Whinchat - 1 on grazing meadow in bramble bushes
Wheatear - 2 near beach
Arctic skua - 2 on beach
Swift - 2 west

Paul

Titchwell September 13th

Today's highlights

Curlew sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 5 on fresh marsh
Great white egret - 1 reported through bird information services but no other details
Spoonbill - 4 around reserve still
Whinchat - 1 on grazing meadow
Wheatear - 1 near beach
Pintail - 1 on fresh marsh
Grey wagtail - 1 west over visitor centre this morning

Paul

Titchwell September 15th

Today's highlights

Pectoral sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh late afternoon
Little stint - 2 on fresh marsh
Garganey - 1 on Patsy's reedbed
Redstart - 1 on bushes by Island Hide
Wheatear - 3 at Thornham Point

I am away on leave for a couple of weeks so there will be no updates for a while I'm afraid

Paul

Does anyone know if the Pectoral Sandpiper was showing throughout the day at Titchwell? I only saw it reported about 10am and then not again.

Thanks,

Ian

Up in norfolk midweek for a couple of days and east hills is looking good wondering the access though did read thats its easier by boats at certain times wondering how easy it is to do it

many thanks

I wouldn't advise attempting to walk there if you haven't been shown the route or know the tides, you have to cross a potentially dangerous creek on the way out. There is a boat from Wells Harbour that usually gives tours of the harbour and marsh, but has been taking people out to East Hills, however you'd need to check that the boatsman can pick you up later! All in all Wells Woods probably a better (safer) bet.

Up in norfolk midweek for a couple of days and east hills is looking good wondering the access though did read thats its easier by boats at certain times wondering how easy it is to do it

many thanks

I wouldn't advise attempting to walk there if you haven't been shown the route or know the tides, you have to cross a potentially dangerous creek on the way out. There is a boat from Wells Harbour that usually gives tours of the harbour and marsh, but has been taking people out to East Hills, however you'd need to check that the boatsman can pick you up later! All in all Wells Woods probably a better (safer) bet.

Also, boats can only land in (particularly) high tides and may not be able to stay long enough or return late enough to take you off (i.e. allowing you enough time to bird the area) - so you'd have to walk off anyway. As James says, unless you hook up with someone who knows the way, I'd advise going elsewhere. Plenty of coast to bash: we had a minimum of eight YBW in Wells yesterday morning (prob nearer 12), and that doesn't include two seen by someone W of where we went, or the five Marcus had between Holkham and Burnham Overy Dunes! There's surely something better to find...

An early morning walk in beautiful weather along the track to Kelling Water Meadows produced many finches and skylarks on the move - some " in off " the Hard. Pleasing was a very showy Garden Warbler, very near to where I last saw a Barred Warbler ( and amongst my hoped for sightings whilst ambling along ).

The water meadow looked full and lush, perhaps a slight bit of muddy foreshore here please Mr local Dam keeper would be welcoming?

Pat

Little Egrets

Hi All

In addition to standard WeBS counts, a coordinated count of all Little Egret roosts along the North Norfolk Coast was carried out on the evening of Sept 24th, data has shown that WeBS normally significantly under counts the numbers using the coast, previous counts have shown the best way to monitor this population is by a series of roost counts, the most recent of which was carried out by John Williamson in 2015.

An impressive total of 508 birds were counted coming into roost, including 31 Titchwell, 17 Burnham Deepdale, 122 Burnham Overy, 13 Holkham, 324 Stiffkey Fen and 1 Cley.

I am keen to receive details of other roosts around the county, with the view of trying to organise a coordinated county wide count next September, when numbers are at there highest.

Please email details of any roosts to [email protected] or [email protected].

Many thanks to the counters who took part.

Neil Lawton
North Norfolk Coast WeBS coordinator
County Bird Recorder

Memories of Cley.

As part of celebrating the 90th anniversary of its founding, Norfolk Wildlife Trust is asking people to share with them for all to enjoy, fond recollections of visiting one of its nature reserves.

I have known Cley Marshes for over 50 years and my fondest recollection of it was the time when birds and their habitat were the priority. In case anyone has forgotten, Sydney Long purchased the land on which the reserve stands, to be held in perpetuity as a breeding bird sanctuary.

Seen over Brancaster Staithe today

Hi All

Spent a bit of time around Brancaster Staithe this afternoon and caught this on camera, could anyone identify these for me please.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1040572.JPG
    P1040572.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Had to post a photo of this little beauty of a Wryneck today at Scratby that just popped out of the bushes in front of me while I was in the car eating my lunch!

Good birding.

Steve.

Attachments

• P1120685.jpg
    P1120685.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 150

Users who are viewing this thread

Back