• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (68 Viewers)

You can't help but wonder: if some of the East Anglian birders who flocked to the west country and Wales had had a look through Wells Woods, what might they have found?

You can't help but wonder: if some of the East Anglian birders who flocked to the west country and Wales had had a look through Wells Woods, what might they have found?
Fair comment but those very keen experienced listers would have been watching the weather systems, incoming reports, topping up their credit cards and ready to go nearly anywhere to see those succulent Yanks. Some would have then scurried off North to Shetland on a one dayer! Its what they've done for nearly 50 years. Many will now be up on Shetland spending a week or fortnight, I used to and would happily again if I could. Quite surreal to bump into them, say at Quendale etc and not in Norfolk during the year. It is still affectionately known as the "Scilly" season.

But look at the advantages for the stay in the county listers.....you have Wells Wood to yourself to find a goody. We're well overdue a twitchable Nutcracker.
And there is still at least two of North Norfolk's (born and bred) finest birdfinders out and about most days. All the best David.

Does anyone have any gen on the cattle egrets at Holme? Hoping to head over there this week but not sure if they are from the reserve or village side.

They are with the cattle herd on the grazing marsh on the NWT reserve. This herd moves around during the day - most of the time they're obvious from the reserve entrance track, but can also be in the fields by the corner of the East Bank path to Thornham, the herd also visits the pools by the NWT hides to drink. Egrets can be seen pretty easily from the entrance track, Norfolk Coast Path or hides - find the cows, find the birds!

Thanks again for the info on the egrets, I did make it over to Holme on Tuesday and managed to connect with a few of them, the light wasn't best for photos but it was great to be able to watch them.

7D2X1001.jpg

A couple of times one picked up a frog from the grass and came to the water to eat it.

7D2X1070.jpg

Also dropped in to Titchwell while in the area and was lucky enough to have a spoonbill drop in on the beach.

7D2X1834.jpg

A rare visit to north Norfolk for a few hours yesterday. Our only highlight was seeing two Ravens over fields south of Thornham - a Norfolk tick for all three of us.
Just wondered how common Raven is in Norfolk these days. How many, and in what areas?

From a personal perspective, I only added Raven to my Norfolk list in 2018, despite living and birding in the county since 2007. Since then I've seen them annually on my fenland patch since 2020; in early 2022 they looked like they were setting up to breed close by, but they didn't persist and just one patch sighting since then.

Coastal wise...spending one day per week at Holme over the past year, I've had 3-4 days where I've seen them; I think they're more regular down Holkham way, particularly around the park.

Norfolk Bird and Mammal Report 2022 out last week says 7 pairs from 5 sites, raised 6 young; with reports on a continuing upward trend.

Last edited:
Morning all, I went for a walk around the UEA lake yesterday evening and heard a Nightingale. Has anyone heard them so late in the year before?
Both Song and Mistle thrush have started singing in the last few days where I am, most often around dawn and dusk. Nightingale will be in sub-Saharan Africa at present, and do not sing on their wintering grounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back