• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (112 Viewers)

For a record shot of the Great-grey Shrike (and later the Smew) see 'selection of scarce bird images 2008' having clicked on 'bird gallery' in the left-hand toolbar on my blog (link below).

Connor

Another days birding.

Started at Sheringham Park to find some of the woodland birds I missed Y'day - it was very productive, with the bonuses of Firecrest and 3 vocal, but flighty Common Crossbill (rather scarece I am lead to believe).

From there I went to Salthouse for the buntings, which showed well as usual, with a female Merlin flying east their only real disturbance. Onto Cley for the Water Pipits, where I amazingly finally managed to see my first Graylag!

Connor succeeded beter than I at Wells, where all I could find was an adult Pale-bellied Brent and 1 of the hybrid Brants. I fortunately arrived at Holkham Park as the Smew was relocated at the north end, as I might have been waiting ages at the southern end!

I couldn't really decide what to do next and after a few (brief) stops along the way I ended up at Hunstanton, where a group of Scaup have been present all winter. 7 birds, 3 males were located.

The rest of the afternoon was spent goose hunting, like Connor, but I never saw him! Most fruitful was the flock south of Docking on the Bircham road, where 2 Ross's, 3 Barnacle (possibly 5), 4 Whitefronts - 2 ad & 1 juv European and a probable ad Greenland amongst about 8000 Pink-feet.

David
PS Connor glad to hear you are out and about - don't forget to keep up the patch watching at Holme as I hope you will be able to help me with my yearlist!!! after a good but anonymous Year List in 2007

Thanks Connor, have Multi-Mapped it and the aerial photo shows the track you refer to. Thanks also for the warning re the car

Cheers
Nick

Connor- any pics of your 'classic' Brants? I had a go at Wells in december, but couldnt be sure if I had seen one or not. Any tips on ID? I saw two birds with large neck bands, crescent shaped, but no white flanks. What do you reckon?
Cheers,
Jim.

Connor- any pics of your 'classic' Brants? I had a go at Wells in december, but couldnt be sure if I had seen one or not. Any tips on ID? I saw two birds with large neck bands, crescent shaped, but no white flanks. What do you reckon?
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jimbob,

Classic Black Brants should have extenisve white flanks, a broad and complete (ie. joining at back) neck collar and a black back (as opposed to the brown of a Brent Goose).

Sorry no pics it was very windy.
Connor

PS Connor glad to hear you are out and about - don't forget to keep up the patch watching at Holme as I hope you will be able to help me with my yearlist!!! after a good but anonymous Year List in 2007

Hi David, will try my best at Holme, should still be visiting once or twice a week this year... Good luck with the yearlist!

Might have another scan through the Pinkies soon, would like to see the Lesser Snow Goose for the yearlist and still need Barnacle...

Cheers,

Connor

Yeh thanks Connor, glad I resisted the temptation to confirm a Brant when I was there! Its all in the flanks then.
Cheers,
Jim.

Well what a good day today...

Started at Ongar Hill, Terrington Marsh. Arrived at 8:10am and at 8:40am located the Richard's Pipit at the base of the seawall. It continued to show fairly well until at least 9:15am.

Well done with the Richard's Pipit Connor:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Hopefully we'll hear from Penny soon as I bumped into her at Titchwell and I believe at Sandringham! Love to know how our days compared!

I do apologise, did I bump into you at Titchwell?!!!! Remind me..... my brain going in my old age!!! Posted quite late last night (see previous page), took ages to sort out my list for day!!! I did not have the same enthusiasm as last new year's day as the sun wasn't out, it didn't spur me on very much! You had a brilliant list!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

175 Bewick's
2 Purple Sand
2 Med Gull
5 Whitefront
3 Crane
10 Barnacle
200 Golden Plover
and there's a dark-breasted Barn Owl out Ludham way if anyone's interested in that kind of stuff

details on my blog thing shortly

really good start to '08, kicked off hangover and man flu first at Sheringham - where else - duck Goosander hilight and 100+ RTDs's
got a nice male Dartford at site everyone should know about by now then ace flock of about 70 siskins at Glandford Mill, also 4 Bewick's over (later seen at Titchwell?),

Water Pipits were being distant at Cley but got word of a Firecrest at Walsey and, worked the Tit flock methodically and we both got decent views.

Finished off with Buntings at Salthouse - interesting, varied start to the year

Next day picked up the Holkham Smew and also found a Shag and Med on the lake, the bay finally began to produce after being quiet towards the end of the year, with a pair of LTD and 2 RNG's close inshore, also two more Med, an extremely distant flock of around 4000 Common Scoter, they don't seem to be coming that close this year,

Got to Wells with light fading and got the Brant Family - couldn't pick out the hybrid, is it the bird with Brentlike upperparts? also the PBBG is a smart bird

'flushed' a shag from out of one of the chippies then approachable down to 0 ft as it made lame attempts to flutter off!

The anticipated 'cold weather movement' hasn't really paid off today, i.e no flyby king eiders/harlequins just a steady flow of auks,/gannets/divers, but 1 ad win Little Gull was cool.
willl try for these Crossbills now - cheers rural

Got to Wells with light fading and got the Brant Family - couldn't pick out the hybrid, is it the bird with Brentlike upperparts? also the PBBG is a smart bird

The 2 Brent hybirds were interesting, one had good flanks but upperparts more like brent goose and a poorer collar. Other bird didnt have quite such good flanks but had a better collar.

Cheers,

Connor

Smew shots now added to blog, again on 2008 scarce gallery, which can be accessed by clicking on 'bird gallery link' in left-hand toolbar.

Cheers,

Connor

Smew shots now added to blog,

Cheers,

Connor

nice site connor, does anyone know why the Smew is going out on the pager as a 1st win drake, i had a close look at it and there does not seem to be any white streaking on the head and it looks like a fairly standard 'redhead' to me.

nice site connor, does anyone know why the Smew is going out on the pager as a 1st win drake, i had a close look at it and there does not seem to be any white streaking on the head and it looks like a fairly standard 'redhead' to me.

So I'm not going mad! Such a relief, I had read the message as a drake and was a little surprised to turn up and see a redhead. Anyway looked fine for a redhead to me.

2 juv. Shags still at Wells Harbour today, at least one of which was colour ringed. Does anyone know of a scheme which would be colour ringing Shags?

Cheers,

Connor

So I'm not going mad! Such a relief, I had read the message as a drake and was a little surprised to turn up and see a redhead. Anyway looked fine for a redhead to me.

i think the pager message was 1st winter drake and i think 1st winter drakes are meant to be quite similar to females (in same way that 1st win goldeneyes are similar to females) so i'm not sure its totally safe to call it a female, however i don't know if there is any criterion to seperate 1st win male (or female) smew from ad female.

Male Smews coming out of eclipse are meant to show some white flecking on the crown but i couldn't see that on this bird, but you're right, bit of a surprise when your turning up expecting a white nun!

Saw the the Med Gull on the 30th (which was nice), not as many Sanderling and Turnstone, but there were 3 Purple Sandpipers.

What are the chances of seeing Manx Shearwaters at this time of year? Thought I might have seen some at West Runton and another at Walcott, but I could easily have been mistaken.
manxie are really rare in the winter here, although some reported today and yesterday off southwold, they are mainly summer visitors so any in mid winter would be exceptional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back