• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

I really hope the winds don't go NW on Saturday as I am having a complete non-birding day (very rare for me!)

I am doing something really insane instead:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103637357047&ref=ts

Have not been to London for years but felt like I wanted to make the effort being as I am a massive MJ fan! Will be dancing Thriller on mass!!!!!!!!!!!!

Working all day Sunday.

Birding all day Monday!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Titchwell August 28th

Today's highlights

Peregrine - 1 on beach
Greenshank - 2 on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 hunting over fresh marsh
Dunlin - 200 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Treecreeper - 1 in trees around visitor centre

Have a good bank holiday

Paul

Nothing but a load of old waves.

Dodging the showers today there was absolutely nothing passing on the sea, a Hobby persistently chasing Dunlin over north Scrape made up for it.

The last three years have been exceptional seawatching, theres been about a dozen really good days and theres been big numbers of Poms, Bonxies, Little Auks, Great Shears (sorry to mention), Sabs Gulls, Sooty and Balearic Shear, theres also been adequate opportunities to connect with all the scarce, Grey Phal, Storm Petrel, Leaches, Long-tailed Skua etc.

Its been easy to take things like Sabs Gull for granted and the records commitees have not been very stringent on asking for detailed descriptions. Looks like theres no let up with the SW's at the moment so, although its early, maybe we are in for a quiet one this year to redress the balance. If this is the case these scarcities will still pass through but to see them will be a case of seawatching in seemingly naff or marginal conditions.

Of course all it takes is one good blow...

Not Hippos, but Whinnos

It seems as if the pair of Whinchats did not depart yesterday, but just kept their counsel, until the accursed kite was taken out of the sky.

Today, there were 3: mainly on the fence which runs from the beach car park and along the south side of t'Hill (Gramboro'). Young Goldfinches seem to be gathering.

No sign of any Hippolias (sic).

West Runton and Walsey Hills, again, didn't produce.

Good numbers of Manx Shearwaters passing Overstrand this evening with at least 120 through between 1800 - 1915 with quite a few double figure flocks. Most were distant but a few were passing about 1/2 way out and numbers steadily increased as the evening progressed.

Not a lot else passing through with them only Gannets and the odd Fulmar but it may be worth a look in the morning.

Simon

With respect to my home patch, but I can't imagine why any wild eagle sp would want to hang around that area for 3 weeks.

Escape?

MG

OK, despite the likelihood of seeing no eagles, and the likelihood of any eagles being escapes anyway, I thought I'd try my luck. We walked for a few hours around Forncett End this morning and surprisingly, found what I guess may have been the bird responsible for the report! Not an eagle, but a Red Kite floating low around the farmland and giving very close views at times. An adult with a rather tatty tail. I've no idea who the report originated from, but I can imagine a non-birder being sufficiently impressed with a kite to call it an eagle.

Not surprisingly, nothing much else of note in the area, apart from a Buzzard and lots of Roesel's Bush-crickets.

Cheers

Andy Mus.

OK, despite the likelihood of seeing no eagles, and the likelihood of any eagles being escapes anyway, I thought I'd try my luck. We walked for a few hours around Forncett End this morning and surprisingly, found what I guess may have been the bird responsible for the report! Not an eagle, but a Red Kite floating low around the farmland and giving very close views at times. An adult with a rather tatty tail. I've no idea who the report originated from, but I can imagine a non-birder being sufficiently impressed with a kite to call it an eagle.

Not surprisingly, nothing much else of note in the area, apart from a Buzzard and lots of Roesel's Bush-crickets.

Cheers

Andy Mus.

Not a bad record for the area (at least it's wild!) Might have even been the same bird I posted about a while back...though I didn't recall a particularly ratty tail. Tacolneston would only be about a mile away from Forncett end.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1552823&postcount=6885

M

thanks

just to say thanks to everyone who gave me directions to sheringham shelters and to the various guys there who managed to identify seemingly everything that went by
i don't think today will be remembered as one of the great seawatching days but i enjoyed it, got a lifer the balearic shearwater that went through around seven and there was plenty of other good stuff great views of a bonxie numerous gannets,various waders quite a few manxies and a few arctic skuas
had anothe crack at the honey buzzards at great ryborough in the afternoon again no luck but great views of several hobbies and quite a few common buzzards altogether a pretty good day

cheers

Not a bad record for the area (at least it's wild!) Might have even been the same bird I posted about a while back...though I didn't recall a particularly ratty tail. Tacolneston would only be about a mile away from Forncett end.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1552823&postcount=6885

M

Yes, guess it's probably the same bird, and I see one was reported over Banham Zoo this afternoon. Your record on 9th August would also fit with the "eagle being around for three weeks" message. [Of course, if anyone knows more about there really being an eagle, wild or escaped, I'd love to hear].

Birding in the Buff (?)

Most of today was spent on an overheating PC, getting ready for the new term. However, in the late afternoon a beep from the pager saw me leave for Cley (via the newsagents) and its announced Buff-breasted Sandpiper.

Hastening in a leisurely way up the East Bank, I couldn't but pause for a few moments to snap this absurdly tame Bunt.

Heading east, now below the shingle ridge, I must have been passed on the other side by the bird, which apparently flew west at the same time. (Thanks to the chap who told me this welcome news.)

About turn, soon joined by ChrisM & ANo, we crunched our way towards the North Hide, checking every pebble on the way.

Scanning did not produce the desired result. A mild despondency set in. Then we spotted it on the nearest island. It was the most flighty BbS I've encountered; hardly lasting longer than the time it took to 'phone the news in. It was then off to Billy's Wash.

Fortunately, it seems to have returned to allow better viewing.

Attachments

• P1100023#002.jpg
    P1100023#002.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 124
Apparently an Eagle sp. was seen in NE Norfolk very recently, possibly a Golden. It was seen by a time served, very good birder and drove the local Buzzards into a frenzy. I don't have much more info on it though...

Happisburgh late am/early pm turned up a Sedge Warbler along the cliffs; a useful parish year tick as they're hard to get over here. Also 7 Wheatears noted, single Swift through and a Spotted Fly. An hour looking at the sea this evening saw very little apart from 4 Arctic Skuas south together and a very distant, likely Bonxie. I'm in no hurry though so I'll wait for a closer one...

James

Apparently an Eagle sp. was seen in NE Norfolk very recently, possibly a Golden. It was seen by a time served, very good birder and drove the local Buzzards into a frenzy. I don't have much more info on it though...

James

And I think there was a report of White-tailed over Norwich last week also. Always amazing how large birds disappear so effectively, although of course there are very low densities of observers in the hinterlands. One day we'll pin down a Lesser Spot!

Cheers

Andy

just to say thanks to everyone who gave me directions to sheringham shelters and to the various guys there who managed to identify seemingly everything that went by
i don't think today will be remembered as one of the great seawatching days but i enjoyed it, got a lifer the balearic shearwater that went through around seven and there was plenty of other good stuff great views of a bonxie numerous gannets,various waders quite a few manxies and a few arctic skuas
had anothe crack at the honey buzzards at great ryborough in the afternoon again no luck but great views of several hobbies and quite a few common buzzards altogether a pretty good day

cheers

Hmmmmm, Balearic shearwater, manxi and bonxie would have increased my year list!!!! Thats were I would have been going this morning (Sat) but instead had an absolutely WICKED day in London (in full MJ outfit, hat, glitter glove etc etc) dancing on mass to Thriller on the steps of the National Gallery (see BBC website) and then partying all afternoon to celebrate MJ's birthday today in St James's Park and ended with candelit vigil at O2. Was interviewed by a TV crew - but have not found it on the net yet and filmed solo dancing!

Seawatching off Horsey

Despite the offshore wind, a family trip to the beach produced unexpected benefits in the shape of a distant Sooty Shearwater heading north about 15.00, and a close Bonxie south 30 mins later. Also a smaller shearwater north, Manx or Balearic - jizz not quite right for a Manx I didn't think but not particularly dusky. Otherwise, Gannets and Sandwich Terns formed the majority of the birds offshore.

Wives and girlfriends (?)

West Runton, again, held nothing of note. It is interesting to note that the several people I've spoken to at the site, who may have been prospective purchasers, have all been supportive of its natural history and wished 'us' well for the future.

Gramboro' had a couple of bright WillowChiffs. On the way back to the car park, a huge female Sparrowhawk (so big, I thought it was a ringtail Hen Harrier at first ! !) flew along and below the shingle ridge, in slow level flight, and then across the field.

The Little Eye scooped the prize, with a couple of Whinchats and half a dozen Wheatears. These last were new from yesterday.

Mid afternoon, I drove around to Cley Beach car park and set off for the North Hide. As I passed the pillbox, I heard a flava-type wagtail call and saw a 'black-and-white' wagtail fly away and across the Eye Field towards the North Scrape. It seemed to go down somewhere there. I 'phoned the news of this possible Citrine into RBA.

A long time in the North Hide only produced a Curlew Sand and quite a few Pied Wags. On the way back, past the Eye Pool, there was a similar number of Pieds in the vicinity. A flava (very yellow) flew away, too.

Late afternoon, news came on to the pager of a poss. Citrine at the Quags- where I hastened. This puzzling bird was and will be the subject of much debate. It has been photographed quite well, by people with much better equipment than myself. I await the outcome with much interest.

Wow

Hmmmmm, Balearic shearwater, manxi and bonxie would have increased my year list!!!! Thats were I would have been going this morning (Sat) but instead had an absolutely WICKED day in London (in full MJ outfit, hat, glitter glove etc etc) dancing on mass to Thriller on the steps of the National Gallery (see BBC website) and then partying all afternoon to celebrate MJ's birthday today in St James's Park and ended with candelit vigil at O2. Was interviewed by a TV crew - but have not found it on the net yet and filmed solo dancing!

Wow - talk about having an energetic and lively day and night, Penny - sounds incredible. Hope you'll message a link to your interview and dancing if possible?
Just a sedate day for my wife and I yesterday - watching the three different terns at Farmoor - good to see American Black Tern - a new bird for me.
Best wishes
Richard

Mid afternoon, I drove around to Cley Beach car park and set off for the North Hide. As I passed the pillbox, I heard a flava-type wagtail call and saw a 'black-and-white' wagtail fly away and across the Eye Field towards the North Scrape. It seemed to go down somewhere there. I 'phoned the news of this possible Citrine into RBA.

A long time in the North Hide only produced a Curlew Sand and quite a few Pied Wags. On the way back, past the Eye Pool, there was a similar number of Pieds in the vicinity. A flava (very yellow) flew away, too.

Late afternoon, news came on to the pager of a poss. Citrine at the Quags- where I hastened. This puzzling bird was and will be the subject of much debate. It has been photographed quite well, by people with much better equipment than myself. I await the outcome with much interest.

Pic of the Quags Wagtail here: http://www.birdingworld.co.uk/Cley 2009.1.htm

Regards

Simon

Couple of things:

1.) I read that you found a first for Norfolk Penny, A Thrush Nightingale with your dad a long time ago. It was in the recently published Birds New to Norfolk, by Peter Allard, Keith Dye and Mick Fiszer. Its a cracking read I would recommend it. Best account was Norfolks first Pallas` Warbler that was found ..and seemingly identified..by a dog:) or the laughing Gull at Walcott that was found by Mick Fiszers daughter, when she said "that poor gull is covered in oil"

2.) Looks like Saturday could see some good seawatching in N Norfolk if the longer range forecast is to be believed with strong nnw winds coming down the north sea.

Couple of things:

1.) I read that you found a first for Norfolk Penny, A Thrush Nightingale with your dad a long time ago. It was in the recently published Birds New to Norfolk, by Peter Allard, Keith Dye and Mick Fiszer. Its a cracking read I would recommend it. ...........

Hi there

Well father and I did - we caught it in one of the Heligoland Traps just walking round on a trap round - I remember it all very clearly, even though I was young! I bought the book at the birdfair - very good book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back