• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Scand Finch ?

My first birding foray out this week (there's a story behind that), saw me off to Gramboro', thru the still-frozen heights of Muckleburgh, where there was nothing of note, save for a few Snipe.

I was just about to turn back, having reached the Führerbunker, when I heard the unmistakable, two-tone tootle of a Scandinavian Bullfinch. A female was flying over the fence and away- she called several times. She reached the hedge along Meadow Lane and, just like the GSCuckoo, seemed to go down into it.

Friary Hills yielded a Woodcock (I don't see enough of these) and some interesting calls from the tit flock. Also, this array of fungi- unlike myself, who isn't a fun guy to be with, at the mo !

I trust Yule all have a Very Merry Christmas !

Attachments

• P1000760pse.jpg
    P1000760pse.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 131
Dark Woodpigeon

When I got up on Christmas morning there were 10 Woodpigeons on the lawn beneath the feeders. One of the pigeons was much darker than any other I have seen.

I managed a couple of pictures before it flew off. It was much darker on the throat and breast but the back was also darker and warmer than normal.

Dave

Attachments

• Woodpigeon 091225 IMGP2843.jpg
    Woodpigeon 091225 IMGP2843.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 140
5 Goosanders at Wissington this morning also a Red Kite which flew South. Hope everyone had a good Christmas.

Off to stay in Brancaster for a few days tomorrow - I know there are some great local patchers on here, so any news on birds in that particular area?
When I go in Spring, Summer and Autumn I never struggle for places to go, but mid Winter sometimes leaves me a bit devoid of ideas....
Any local Twite, Snow Bunts or Shore Lark?

Thnaks in advance all and Happy New Year!

Christmas Day - 3pm - went for a walk to escape and had lovely views of a Barn Owl by Holme House as I walked through Holme village to the main beach gap. 7 Fieldfares flew over going west and a 11 Rock Pipits got up from the scrubby vegetation on the beach and flew west, also a kestrel and a few pied wagtails. Not a good day - sister didn't turn up, long story, bit sad. Car would not start to go home, had to call the AA, they got car started - flat battery, but when I eventually got home it wouldn't start again! Basically I had not even realised the the original:eek!: battery was in the car (10 years old!) and after sitting about in the garage for almost 3 months whilst waiting for body parts to be sourced, it had killed off the battery, so spent:

Saturday 26th - finding somewhere to buy a new battery. The only reason the car started this morning is because I have left it in gear so when I turned the ignition it jogged it in to starting (my theory). Ended up driving to Norwich Battery and Exhaust Centre who saved the rest of my holiday, got a BOSCH 4 year battery and now am back on the road! Drove up to Cley, don't know why I bothered as it was now 3.30pm - had a look at Coastguards, pied wagtails and that was it (oh and a flock of approx 20+ Snow Buntings flew east along beach). Cruised home and sat and watched Pirates of the C, only cos I wanted to watch Johny Depp!;)

Hope tomorrow and Monday are better! I see the Ring Necked Duck is back at Wroxham. Still NEED Red Necked Grebe for my list. Oh and if anyone knows of anything good about, please PM/let my know - would be great to increase my 260 list before end of next Thursday!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
There were several flocks of Fieldfares flying about at Strumpshaw today and I saw my first Redpolls of the winter mixed in with a Goldfinch flock. A beautiful Mistle Thrush was the only other unusual bird for me.

I found a Nikon scope eyepiece in the grass near the overflow car park. It was quite old and in poor condition but if anybody has lost it or knows of somebody who has, I handed it into the Reception and it can be claimed from there.

Ron

Going to try for the Ferruginous Duck at Barton Broad today. Looks like a big place from the map, can anyone suggest where I should park and view from?
Cheers,
Jim.

And now a pair of them

Driving down the coast road towards Salthouse, about 100m east of Meadow Lane, I saw both male and female Bullfinches in the hedge.

This is not the best place in Norfolk to stop- but I tried. They were so flighty, I knew I couldn't walk back to see them- as they'd've gorn.

I then went to Meadow Lane, turned around and tried again. On both occasions, I wasn't able to see the birds well, but heard one call. It sounded like 'one of ours'.

Salthouse beach car park had a nicely twittering group of 4 Snow Buntings.

And that was it.

Hi Jim

Think I probably met you this pm at Wroxham, discussing careers and colleagues in education with TA, my Dad and me! Guess you'd already got the Ferruginous earlier on (it was showing well late morning), but if not, or others want directions, here they are.

You need to be at the southern end of Barton Broad, just WNW of Irstead village. At approx TG359206 there's a carpark and a short (but currently very icy) boardwalk leads north to the edge of the broad and a viewing platform. Great place to look for Otters, too.

Similarly, if anyone is after the female RN Duck on Wroxham, you need to view from the Sailing Club carpark on the west side. Approx TG308166 - the bird is quite elusive, disappearing under overhanging branches etc... thanks for the call when it re-appeared, Tim!

cheers

David

Going to try for the Ferruginous Duck at Barton Broad today. Looks like a big place from the map, can anyone suggest where I should park and view from?
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim

Think I probably met you this pm at Wroxham, discussing careers and colleagues in education with TA, my Dad and me! Guess you'd already got the Ferruginous earlier on (it was showing well late morning), but if not, or others want directions, here they are.

You need to be at the southern end of Barton Broad, just WNW of Irstead village. At approx TG359206 there's a carpark and a short (but currently very icy) boardwalk leads north to the edge of the broad and a viewing platform. Great place to look for Otters, too.

Similarly, if anyone is after the female RN Duck on Wroxham, you need to view from the Sailing Club carpark on the west side. Approx TG308166 - the bird is quite elusive, disappearing under overhanging branches etc... thanks for the call when it re-appeared, Tim!

cheers

David

David- good to meet you and your father, and correct we did already have the F Duck from Barton! Can't believe I managed to see both ducks in one day; I have been trying on and off for both since last year (with varying effort/regularity!). Thanks again for directions guys. The RN was tricky and could easily have been missed had it not been for some expert guidance!
I would emphasise your point about that boardwalk, its a nightmare!
Cheers,
Jim.

I was another out today who slid their way down the Barton boardwalk, and was rewarded with good views of the Fudge Duck (I was there in the morning with my girlfriend who was wearing a bright red coat if that rings any bells). Went to Whitlingham in the afternoon to have a look at the GN Diver. A shame I didn't find it, but still a cracking bird to see on the broad.

Off to stay in Brancaster for a few days tomorrow - I know there are some great local patchers on here, so any news on birds in that particular area?
When I go in Spring, Summer and Autumn I never struggle for places to go, but mid Winter sometimes leaves me a bit devoid of ideas....
Any local Twite, Snow Bunts or Shore Lark?

Thnaks in advance all and Happy New Year!

There has been a flock of Twite in the Titchwell-Brancaster area, so they should be fairly straightforward. Also a few at Cley along the west bank. Snow Buntings along the shingle from Cley to Salthouse. Aren't sure about the current Shorelark situation, but there were some at Holme and Holkham.

Red n Grebe

Christmas Day - 3pm - went for a walk to escape and had lovely views of a Barn Owl by Holme House as I walked through Holme village to the main beach gap. 7 Fieldfares flew over going west and a 11 Rock Pipits got up from the scrubby vegetation on the beach and flew west, also a kestrel and a few pied wagtails. Not a good day - sister didn't turn up, long story, bit sad. Car would not start to go home, had to call the AA, they got car started - flat battery, but when I eventually got home it wouldn't start again! Basically I had not even realised the the original:eek!: battery was in the car (10 years old!) and after sitting about in the garage for almost 3 months whilst waiting for body parts to be sourced, it had killed off the battery, so spent:

Saturday 26th - finding somewhere to buy a new battery. The only reason the car started this morning is because I have left it in gear so when I turned the ignition it jogged it in to starting (my theory). Ended up driving to Norwich Battery and Exhaust Centre who saved the rest of my holiday, got a BOSCH 4 year battery and now am back on the road! Drove up to Cley, don't know why I bothered as it was now 3.30pm - had a look at Coastguards, pied wagtails and that was it (oh and a flock of approx 20+ Snow Buntings flew east along beach). Cruised home and sat and watched Pirates of the C, only cos I wanted to watch Johny Depp!;)

Hope tomorrow and Monday are better! I see the Ring Necked Duck is back at Wroxham. Still NEED Red Necked Grebe for my list. Oh and if anyone knows of anything good about, please PM/let my know - would be great to increase my 260 list before end of next Thursday!

Have you tried top of the tide off titchwell or holkham?

Sunday 27th December

Holme Bird Observatory NOA

Firs road has even more pot holes than it did before:eek!: probably due to the heavy snow etc.

Several greenfinches, chaffinches, goldfinches, redwing and fieldfares about. From the end of the main bank a Short eared Owl (11.45am) hunting over marsh along with a barn owl by Thornham bank.

From the sea, loads of common scooter, wigeon, 1 great crested grebe going west, but still NO red necked grebe:-C big flocks of oystercatchers going by.

Redwell Marsh Hide

A call from MG alerted me to the Red Kite distantly over poplars towards Thornham at 2.45pm. A redshank, shoveler, mallards, teal, gadwall, canada geese etc on the pool.

Last edited:
And another

Slow drives past the hedges which held the pair of Bullfinches yesterday elicited nowt.

Around 35 Snow Buntings were feeding on donated seed just west of Salthouse beach car park.

A walk in the lovely winter sun to Gramboro' produced Knot and Dunlin on the small pool. 2 Reed Buntings were, briefly, in the large bramble patch, then flew west.

Friary Hills was quiet- except for a female Bullfinch. She called weakly, another 'of ours'. I can't recall when I last saw one of these here- or even if. Perhaps, a certain Resident of Blakeney has more info (?).

Attachments

• P1000773pse1.jpg
    P1000773pse1.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 83

Users who are viewing this thread

Back