• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (5 Viewers)

Do Spring afternoon falls occur?

I''d be intersted to know if anyone has ever experienced an obvious rain induced afternoon fall in the Spring.

Interesting, and something I have always wondered. No rain but I walked up to Blakaney Point yesterday afternoon. A few warblers in the plantation (willow x4, chiff 3, whitethroat, blackcap). I presumed they had arrived overnight. On my walk back a willow warbler in the scrub nearer coastguards looked fresh in and then headed inland over the marsh. So I am not sure if birds do come in off the sea all day (in which case a fall could occur in the afternoon) or if it is just birds that have arrived overnight moving around throughout the day following the coast (in which case it would mean that a morning 'fall' would be more likely). Surely most birds are arriving via the south coast ...As you say I can't imagine birds back-tracking from Scandinavia. Do birds hit the Norfolk coast straight from Holland/Europe.. some must do.

On a different subject. The mental Pheasant is still between the boat and half way house. I fed it some cheese! and then it followed me for a bit before it started attacking my shoes and leg...it is very vicious and i had no choice but to give it a bit of a boot. Its tail feathers are broken, presumably from receiving the same treatment from other walkers!!

Highlight was picking up the three Cranes from Cley coastguards heading to the east. It was interesting to watch them soaring very high up on thermals from directly below. One was larger than the other two (male+females? or adult with two imm?)

Will head out for more birding soon...

Do Spring afternoon falls occur? although falls in spring are a lot less pronounced than Autumn ones Ive always found birds have arrived at first light or through the morning, is this because they have only had to fly from the continent rather than, in Autumn, from Scandanavia? - this is certainly the case on the South coast of Britain. Of course birds turn up in the afternoon but is this because they have been found at that time rather than arrived? Stuff like Yellow Wagtails can build in numbers throughout the day but are they simply birds that have made landfall in the morning but taken a while to find suitable habitat?

I''d be intersted to know if anyone has ever experienced an obvious rain induced afternoon fall in the Spring.

On a day around Holme/Hunstanton a few weeks back I checked the golf course extensively in the morning and no Wheatears present. On my journey back to Hunstanton a lady had seen one coming in off the sea and she pointed it out to me. More appeared and the final count was 4. Definately none there that morning.

I know its not exactly a major fall, but these birds had clearly only just arrived.

You also must not forget that in spring some of these "fall" birds are comming up from the south. If they made landfall in the south of England and made their way north or east they are very likely to stop on reaching the coast , waiting for a favourable wind.

Titchwell April 25th

Today's highlights

Grasshopper warbler - 1 singing on grazing meadow, 1 singing from Fen Hide
Med gull - 2 adults west
Garden warbler - 1 in bushes by Island Hide
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit - 50 on fresh marsh then flew east
Bittern - 1 booming from Fen Hide
Pale bellied brent goose - adult with brent flock
Red crested pochard - 2 pairs on fresh marsh
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Velver scoter - 1 offshore
Little tern - 2 offshore
Wheatear - 7 on grazing meadow

Fall of common migrants overnight with 20 blackcap, 8 willow warbler, 8 chiffchaff, 3 lesser whitethroat, 6 lesser redpoll and 2 reed warbler in carpark this morning.

Paul

Horsey Gap

Horsey Gap today

5 Yellow wagtails
Lesser Whitethroat
Stonechat
Swallows
25 plus Linnets
Grasshopper Warbler (singing in the rain at noon for a good half hour) ;)

Almost came a gropper !

A walk around WRunton, with Ian P and friend, had occasioned my inadvertently driving under and 'avoiding' the Bee-eater. I’d hoped to catch it at the farm, not thinking it would move that fast and into the wind. Conversation was had re experiences in Vietnam and I caught up with a few Yellow Wags on the ground. Lotsa Wheatears- one of which perched so close, I couldn’t quite get it all in the viewfinder, before it flew. I missed a few Rousels, too.

Hearing of YWaggies at Cley, I hastened there. There was a ‘bad’ male Blue-headed and a ‘good’ one, with a few dubious females- one of which was a good candidate for Grey-headed. Late afternoon, a count of over 25 Yellow was had, with 2 White Wagtails.

A heavy downpour around the middle of the day helped the eating of lunch, followed by a couple of circuits of Friary Hills. No sign of the possible Wryneck, but a ‘new’ female Redstart and a small fall of Wheatears, on the top. The Lesser Whitethroat is still showy and singing from about 50-100m along the hedge, from the kissing gate. A surprise, after the rain, was a Redwing.

Tea and Cley produced 3 Grasshopper Warblers- one almost seen. ETM stated they’re not seen on the first day of their arrival; this would seem to have been confirmed !

Attachments

• 003psesm.jpg
    003psesm.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 027psesm.jpg
    027psesm.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 040psesm.jpg
    040psesm.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 147
On a day around Holme/Hunstanton a few weeks back I checked the golf course extensively in the morning and no Wheatears present. On my journey back to Hunstanton a lady had seen one coming in off the sea and she pointed it out to me. More appeared and the final count was 4. Definately none there that morning.

I know its not exactly a major fall, but these birds had clearly only just arrived.

I had a male Ring Ouzel on Strumpshaw Hill (in the paddock first) and absolutely no Wheatears first thing today. Then at 3.30pm I had another look and there was at least 3 on the hill. A fall? Maybe or maybe not; I guess they could have been birds moving north locally that had arrived previously in nearby fields and had relocated on to the hill. Somebody had a Whinchat somewhere near here earlier too.
Also today, 5 Whimbrel over my house at 8am, plus one on the deck at Buckenham this arvo. A Greenshank and 13 Dunlin flew east mid morning there too.
Cheers,
Jono
Cheers

I had a male Ring Ouzel on Strumpshaw Hill (in the paddock first) and absolutely no Wheatears first thing today. Then at 3.30pm I had another look and there was at least 3 on the hill. A fall? Maybe or maybe not; I guess they could have been birds moving north locally that had arrived previously in nearby fields and had relocated on to the hill. Somebody had a Whinchat somewhere near here earlier too.
Also today, 5 Whimbrel over my house at 8am, plus one on the deck at Buckenham this arvo. A Greenshank and 13 Dunlin flew east mid morning there too.
Cheers,
Jono
Cheers

And also away from coastal hotspots, I had three Wheatears in a field in Shotesham today also, my first in the parish. Worth a look for them just about anywhere at the moment I'd guess.

Andy

Green Sandpiper flew North over Denver Sluice late this evening calling several times. A Common Tern flew South along the river and a Yellow Wagtail North. The first Cuckoo of the year was singing too.

Saw a flash of lightning over Downham Market too. Wouldn't be surprised if there were a few Black Terns around tomorrow!

Last edited:
Titchwell April 26th

Today's highlights

Grasshopper warbler - 2 males singing in reedbed
Bittern - 1 booming in reedbed
Wood sandpiper - 1 west @ 06:40
Med gull - 2 adults west
Osprey - 1 over saltmarsh several times in morning
Short eared owl - 1 over saltmarsh
Red necked grebe - 1 offshore
Pale bellied brent goose - 1 on saltmarsh with brent flock
Red crested pochard - 2 pairs on fresh marsh
Little tern - 2 on fresh marsh
Barn owl - 1 hunting over reedbed this morning

Paul

Cuckoo & warbler

Went for a walk around S Walsham marsh this afternoon. Along Fleet Dyke we spotted a bird fly onto a fence post. Quick check through bins confirmed it was a cuckoo (and it helped us by calling a bit later). Sitting next to it on the fence was a small warbler, possibly reed, which was flying around the cuckoo, then perching next to it. As we moved along the path, they moved along the fence, and we watched them for about 15 mins before the cuckoo got fed up and flew away.

Also nice to see were a number of common terns, barn owl, and courting lapwings.

Flava x flavissima = ?

A very smart male 'Channel' Wagtail at the east end of the Eye Field, this evening. No photos possible, because of the distance, unfortunately.

Several glowing male flavissimae and dowdy females (no, not birders !) accompanied.

Buzzed concurrently by aircrew exerting an Herculean effort.

Having been away for the weekend I was hoping a walk round my local area yesterday evening would produce a few different species of newly arrived summer migrants, but unfortunately only a further increase in Whitethroat numbers was apparent. My first local Roe Deer and 30 mins watching Water Shrews were the highlights.

Chris

I'm hoping to get over to Welney in the next couple of days, where's eth best place to start looking for the bluethroat? I know it's near Lyle hide, but is it best from the hide or near it?

Titchwell April 27th

Today's highlights

Short eared owl - 1 hunting over reedbed late afternoon
Arctic tern - 2 reported on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on fresh marsh
Grasshopper warbler - 1 singing on grazing marsh
Barn owl - 1 hunting over reedbed

Paul

I'm hoping to get over to Welney in the next couple of days, where's the best place to start looking for the bluethroat? I know it's near Lyle hide, but is it best from the hide or near it?

I spent a few hours with the Bluethroat this morning!
It is mainly (always this am) being seen in reeds along the left side of the path leading down to Lyle Hide. It was showing and singing nearly constantly whilst I was there, and how I wish I was a better photographer/had a better camera!

Hope it sticks for you Peter and that you are able to do this wonderful bird the justice it deserves.

A big thank you to Welney WWT for their organisation (even if £6.70 still seems a bit steep!!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back