• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

Popped into Thorpe Marshes on the way home from work to see what the site is like (thanks to those for the info on where it is!). It's an excellent little site and, although a scope would've helped, I managed a 1s Little Gull with Common Terns and Blak-headed Gulls and a Little Ringed Plover, along with commoner warblers and good views of Cetti's. Pick of the bunch though was some excellent views of Water Vole, with at least 3 seen well, one down to a few feet happily munching on some grass it had picked from the bank!

Chris

Titchwell May 13th

Today's highlights

Common crane - 2 over reserve @ 14:00
Little ringed plover - 1 on fresh marsh
Garganey - drake on fresh marsh
Hobby - 1 over reedbed
Grasshopper warbler - 1 singing in reedbed

If you are at a loose end or heading to the reserve this weekend, why not join us on our Wings over Titchwell event. Staff and volunteers will stationed around the reserve to show you what is around and talk about the reserve. We are aiming to record 100 species in a day so let us know anything that you see. If the weather changes it could be a cracking weekend.

Paul

Rare breeding birds eggs taken

Sadly I have heard today that two clutches of eggs have been taken from a wardened site. Can ALL birders please be careful how we go about our hobby and what and to whom we divelge any information - also to report anything suspicous to the appropriate authority, regardless of how trivial it may seem at the time. Unfortunately I am not able to say what species or where right now. Many thanks.

Titchwell May 14th

Today's highlights

Temminck's stint - 2 on fresh marsh from mid-morning
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Garden warbler - 2 singing on Meadow Trail
Spotted flycatcher - 1 on Meadow Trail
Grasshopper warbler - 1 singing in reedbed
Hobby - 1 over reedbed

Could be a good weekend

Paul

Quest for a dragon

To Felbrigg Hall first, with the hope that the Wood Warbler was still present. After a pleasant stroll through the woods and around the Lake, the Hall was finally reached. No sign of said bird. However, many Orange Tips were in flight around the grassy and reedy bits, some even willing to be captured digitally.

Despite searching, no sign of any odonata.

The pager then announced female Blue-headed Wagtail from Friary Hills, where I then headed. This was so- although not so for the Ring Ousel. Several Yellow Wags in attendance (under the cows) with, eventually, 2 males. More Orange Tips: a female allowing the undersides of her wings to be snapped.

A gold-coloured, presumably just emerged probable chaser flitted away, before any kind of ID could be made.

Gramboro’ held singing Whitethroat and Reed Bunting, with a Hobby over. The Mipit was at Salthouse.

Attachments

• 006psesm.jpg
    006psesm.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 001psesm.jpg
    001psesm.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 59
  • 026psesm.jpg
    026psesm.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 89
  • 036psesm.jpg
    036psesm.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 91
Hi all

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about the Black Kite reported at Welney today.

I ask because yesterday at midday myself and another birder had very close views of a kite low over the visitor centre which we were pretty sure was Red Kite at the time, due to the deeply forked tail. It was in strong sunlight and it as diffilcult to make out much colour, except that it appeared to show a dark greyish head and some rufous tones to the upperparts and underwing. it also lacked quite a few secondiaries and one or two primaries. In many ways it seemed to resemble the bird that was later identified as a Black Kite that lingered on the suffolk coast in 2008, showing characteristics of a more easterly race bird.

I didn't have time to check it fully as my friend was keen to get into the centre to view the Bluethroat, but something about it didn't seem quite right and seemed to suggest it might not be a straightforward adult Red Kite.

We reported it to the centre as Red Kite at the time. I am not sure if anyone else got onto the bird as it drifted SW down the main river.

it wasn't until a report of a probably report of a Black Kite at Falkenham later in the day that I wondered if we might have been a bit hasty.

Thanks

Sean Minns

The report of a wood warbler at Felbrig was interesting as one was singing at Swanton Novers NNR on Tuseday. Not heard since so possibly the same bird ? The Iberian chiffchaff seems to have moved on too. A honey buzzard was reported from the Wensum Valley Watchpoint yesterday and today , but I have not seen it myself. A fraction early , but they are expected over the weekend. Good numbers of passage hobby at both watch points ( Swanton Novers and Wensum Valley ) plus a lot of common buzzards and other raptors.

Bit of movement through the patch today with a couple of Sedge Warblers and a Garden Warbler, so these brief southerlies have done some good.

Pic of y'days Wood Warbler at Felbrigg attached

Simon

Attachments

• WoodW6.jpg
    WoodW6.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 113
Sadly I have heard today that two clutches of eggs have been taken from a wardened site. Can ALL birders please be careful how we go about our hobby and what and to whom we divelge any information - also to report anything suspicous to the appropriate authority, regardless of how trivial it may seem at the time. Unfortunately I am not able to say what species or where right now. Many thanks.

Wondering why none of the locals have responded to this? whats the point of not mentioning species? birders will naturally speculate anyway......could look like a bad case of "I know something you dont know....."

This is an open forum and there are baddies as well as goodies on here - I recommend not broadcasting anything with regard to rare breeders, even negative news like this.

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone knows anything about the Black Kite reported at Welney today.

I ask because yesterday at midday myself and another birder had very close views of a kite low over the visitor centre which we were pretty sure was Red Kite at the time, due to the deeply forked tail. It was in strong sunlight and it as diffilcult to make out much colour, except that it appeared to show a dark greyish head and some rufous tones to the upperparts and underwing. it also lacked quite a few secondiaries and one or two primaries. In many ways it seemed to resemble the bird that was later identified as a Black Kite that lingered on the suffolk coast in 2008, showing characteristics of a more easterly race bird.

I didn't have time to check it fully as my friend was keen to get into the centre to view the Bluethroat, but something about it didn't seem quite right and seemed to suggest it might not be a straightforward adult Red Kite.

We reported it to the centre as Red Kite at the time. I am not sure if anyone else got onto the bird as it drifted SW down the main river.

it wasn't until a report of a probably report of a Black Kite at Falkenham later in the day that I wondered if we might have been a bit hasty.

Thanks

Sean Minns

Haven't heard anything about a bird at Fakenham, but the Welney bird was viewed over the village from 5:50-6:15pm when it drifted North-East along the Old Bedford River (ie. in the direction of the visitor centre again). I don't know any plumage details sorry.

On a different note, there were 2 Turtle Doves near Heygates Flour factory in Downham Market yesterday, at the usual spot on wires near the Ouse Relief Channel.

......could look like a bad case of "I know something you dont know....."

This is an open forum

Daniel, my post is neither smug nor one upmanship in any form. Secondly, birdforum does have certain guidelines and rules which I try to adher to, regardless of it being an open forum. I certainly would not wish to post another similar incident. Glad you saw the G.R.W. before breakfast. No such luck here in Norfolk.Regards. P

The report of a wood warbler at Felbrig was interesting as one was singing at Swanton Novers NNR on Tuseday. Not heard since so possibly the same bird ? The Iberian chiffchaff seems to have moved on too. A honey buzzard was reported from the Wensum Valley Watchpoint yesterday and today , but I have not seen it myself. A fraction early , but they are expected over the weekend. Good numbers of passage hobby at both watch points ( Swanton Novers and Wensum Valley ) plus a lot of common buzzards and other raptors.

What Iberian Chiffchaff?!?;)

Titchwell May 15th

Today's highlights

Spoonbill - 1 briefly on saltmarsh mid morning before flying west
Temminck's stint - 2 on fresh marsh
Wood sandpiper - 3 on fresh marsh
Common sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Curlew sandpiper - 1 on fresh marsh
Spotted flycatcher - 1 in carpark early morning
Bittern - 2 in flight over reedbed
Hobby - 2 over reedbed
Whinchat - 1 in dunes

113 species recorded on the reserve today as part of our Wings over Titchwell event.

Paul

POSSIBLE Iberian Chiffchaff

At around 4:40pm today I was cycling down a road in Denver near the Common when I heard a warbler singing. I immediately thought of Iberian Chiffchaff.

The song was as follows:
Started with a few (2-6) "Chiff-chaff" notes (often quite rushed), then occasionally uttered a "huiit" (upslurred) note and then went into Willow Warbler song with the fluty descent in pitch. I managed to get a few photos of it, posted below. The legs weren't black (as on normal Chiffchaff) but they weren't as pale as Willow Warbler, more a brownish sort of shade. The tale seemed fairly long but other than that it seemed fairly like a Chiffchaff. I called around but no-one was able to come and have a look at it. I watched the bird until around 5:10pm when I left but it was still present.

Please comment productively.

Thanks
Simeon

Attachments

• pos. Ibe Chiff 2.jpg
    pos. Ibe Chiff 2.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 67
  • pos. Ibe Chiff 3.jpg
    pos. Ibe Chiff 3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 117
  • pos. Ibe Chiff 4.jpg
    pos. Ibe Chiff 4.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 62
  • pos. Ibe Chiff 5.jpg
    pos. Ibe Chiff 5.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 75
  • pos. Ibe Chiff 6.jpg
    pos. Ibe Chiff 6.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 100
West Runton now almost totally cleared

Woe, woe and thrice, woe ! The farm buildings are now devoid of their wondrous, bird-luring elders and brambles. Much restorative work has gone on, it must be said, and business people have to make money.

Probably up to 10 Wheatears on site today (Whinchat from Ian P, last night and Tree Pipit over, just as I arrived) and a slight surprise, in the shape of this Eider. Thoroughly grilled- for ID purposes only ! I'm sure it wouldn't taste very nice. A couple of Yellow Wagtails over and down.

What I find interesting/puzzling is that the field at Beeston Regis, which was the Grey-headed Wagtail 'capital' of the UK last spring, has so far, turned up no flavae of any description this year.

At Gramboro’, there was a hatching of Small Heaths, but nowt else, save for a couple of Sanderling on the small, brackish pool.

Friary turned up more damsels- none in distress, all at the extreme east end. Green Hairstreaks still well in evidence in ‘bottom’ hedge. Lesser Whitethroat still singing (vainly?) away.

Attachments

• 014pse1sm.jpg
    014pse1sm.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 94
  • 019psesm.jpg
    019psesm.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 044PSEsm.jpg
    044PSEsm.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 046psesm.jpg
    046psesm.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Did you rule out a mixed singer? You really need to hear the three part song
jep jep jep, weep weep weep, de de de

There is a short thread dedicated to Sim's possible Iberian chiffchaff. Have posted a different response there.

Possible Iberian chiffchaff but may be a bright willow warbler with a funny song (not a chiffy).

Last edited:
At around 4:40pm today I was cycling down a road in Denver near the Common when I heard a warbler singing. I immediately thought of Iberian Chiffchaff.

The song was as follows:
Started with a few (2-6) "Chiff-chaff" notes (often quite rushed), then occasionally uttered a "huiit" (upslurred) note and then went into Willow Warbler song with the fluty descent in pitch. I managed to get a few photos of it, posted below. The legs weren't black (as on normal Chiffchaff) but they weren't as pale as Willow Warbler, more a brownish sort of shade. The tale seemed fairly long but other than that it seemed fairly like a Chiffchaff. I called around but no-one was able to come and have a look at it. I watched the bird until around 5:10pm when I left but it was still present.

Please comment productively.

Thanks
Simeon

If you haven't already, try this site which has lots of recordings of vagrant Iberian Chiffchaffs on it, including the Titchwell bird, which should hopefully help.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/browse.php?query=iberian+chiffchaff

or try this, and the other videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70-ujGedUu0&feature=channel

Simon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back