• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (47 Viewers)

Tits

I find it supremely unhelpful that the post about these lovely tits gives the location simply as "Winterton".

This news will be three days old by tomorrow.

I haven't seen this form for several years and would love to again.

Someone please help to find these and make a bit of a glory day from these Paridae !

Long Tails

Martin Read & I spent the morning at Winterton: found a big tit flock beneath the Hermanus, but no Northerns :(
We looked in the copse by the GPO substation too....
Does anyone know where they actually were?

BTW: our Broadband here in the Yare Valley is 11mbps

Last edited:
Brilliant to see the pink footed geese return to the N norfolk Coast in big numbers today. A few thousand have been about for over a month but today is the first time I have seen any sign of the major flocks . I recon there were about 45,000 comming off the sea at sunrise , a great sight worth a bush full of lost red flanked bluetails for me.

Several hen harriers were hunting at sunrise and I squeeked one lovely dove grey male to within 10 feet.

Last edited:
Titchwell November 4th

Today's highlights

Whooper swan - 2 adults on fresh marsh late morning
Twite - 29 on fresh marsh
Shorelark - 7 on beach although mobile

Yesterday - adult Caspian gull and 4 adult yellow legged gulls in the roost

Paul

Coltishall Waxwings

Hi all

BirdGuides is listing 50 Waxwings in Coltishall in Ormesby Road yesterday. Looking on Google Maps, this looks to be at RAF Coltishall, and so it is in TG22. If anyone has seen these, please could you add them to the Atlas (www.bto.org/atlas) as this is still a missing species for this square. There's still a few species we could do with locating in TG22, and this is the LAST winter to do so. As well as Waxwing, we still need

Wigeon
Pochard
Goosander
Grey Partridge
Great Crested Grebe
Bittern
Peregrine
Water Rail
Yellow-legged Gull
Little Owl
LSW
Crossbill

If you're passing, or want something to do with a day this winter, please have a hunt around TG22 and try to find some of these!

Thanks

Andy

Titchwell this morning

Highlight was a juv dotterel on the fresh marsh with the golden plover flock although it is very mobile as the hide work is keeping them on the move. A couple days ago they were feeding in the fields on the west side of the Choseley road just south south of the A149.
43 twite feeding on the brackish marsh and at least 1 shorelark feeding on the tideline east of the beach platform.

Paul

Brilliant to see the pink footed geese return to the N norfolk Coast in big numbers today. A

Decent numbers have started to go over my house in Dersingham morning and evening now - always builds up during November and reaches its peak over the house by the end of the month and into December, and then tails off as the fields in the immediate vicinity are worked over. My favourite sight and sound of the winter is waking up to a pinkfooted alarm call.

Wey two go, punks !

Depicted are two of the dozen Waxwings which were today gracing the treetops in Weybourne.

Gramboro’ had emptied and would not have been worth the walk, save for flyover Twite, Lap and 2 Snow Buntings. My chats seem to have scarpered.

Wells Woods became almost warm, with the sun breaking through from time to time. A Common Hawker was certainly NOT at the Drinking Pool- it was a Common Darter ! (Thanks, Stewart. I did mean Darter: my fingers didn't dart over the keys accurately enough.) Siskin, Redpoll and Crossbill were flyovers, too (or, three!).

It was good to see The McC again, after a little while, pushing his lovely 1W female who, at 10 months, already has some words; precocious, indeed. I can see her writing some of Dad’s rarie descriptions, soon. With the fantastic haul of LBJs he found on Shetland, he’ll be busy doing this for months.

Attachments

• 021smsm.jpg
    021smsm.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Titchwell November 5th

Today's highlights

Dotterel - juv with golden plover flock briefly @ 08:00 only.
Twite - 53 feeding on brackish marsh
Shorelark - 7 on beach east of boardwalk but mobile
Snow bunting - 11 on beach west of platform
Lapland bunting - 2 on beach west of platform
Short-eared owl - 1 hunting near Thornham Point
Velvet scoter - 4 offshore
Caspian gull - 2 adults on fresh marsh late afternoon

There will be no work taking place on the hide this weekend so the fresh marsh should be disturbance free. The water levels are currently being raised to aid the control of some of the vegetation. Our aim is to get it as high a possible and try and cover some of the low-lying islands.

Paul

BBRC Work in Progress update

No need to duplicate 2009 Norfolk Bird Report

Ref 2324 3 January 2010 Pacific Diver Titchwell NP = Not Proven (rejected:C)
Ref 2463 4 December 2009 Brunnich's Guillemot Cley IC = In Circulation (await decision)
Ref 2448 29 and 30 April 2010 Iberian Chiffchaff Titchwell OK = record accepted:t:

No need to duplicate 2009 Norfolk Bird Report

Ref 2324 3 January 2010 Pacific Diver Titchwell NP = Not Proven (rejected:C)
Ref 2463 4 December 2009 Brunnich's Guillemot Cley IC = In Circulation (await decision)
Ref 2448 29 and 30 April 2010 Iberian Chiffchaff Titchwell OK = record accepted:t:

Thats would be about right. This will be the third record of Brunnich's in Norfolk with the BBRC in recent years. One of the rejected records from Cley was seen by quality observers (showing the difficulties of getting rare seabirds past the BBRC).

The current record, seen by a single observer - is a birder/rarity finder of the highest calibre.

Hopefully, Brunnichs should make the Norfolk list at long last.

as the song goes 'my bags are packed Im ready to go'
ok will be down saturday afternoon
not intending to move far from the north coast
1st time ever we have been at this time of year will def go to titchwell anyone know if the organised walks on monday are worth it
we had fun with the summer birds not got a clue what to expect this time of year

Last edited:
I think I’ll Jack it in ! It’s all gone west.

Checking Weybourne for the Waxwings, on my way west this morning, I drew a blank. Gramboro’ held a pair of Reed Buntings and 26 Snows flew east.

Bishop Hide, at Cley NWT, was where I was directed (thanks, Eddie), for one of my favourite birds. Almost 150 snaps later and one proved acceptable- the reeds kept getting in the way in the wind. The other shows the size difference between Jack and Common Snipe (LH bird of the two!).

Driving further west, along the straight to the ‘left’ of Morston, I found myself under a flock of 14 Waxwings. Suddenly, they dropped into a berry-laden bush at the side of the road and frenziedly began to devour the fruit. Suddenly, I stopped the car, reached for my camera, wound down my window . . . and they flew off west.

Wells Woods had a Chiffchaff in the Dell. Today, at least, I managed to find a flock of LtTits. Unfortunately, none had snowman-like heads. The colours are not quite as good as New England, but rather nice, nonetheless. This was just after a heavy downpour, this afternoon. The temperature rose slightly and the irritating, midgie-like thingies (technical, entomological term) emerged.

Attachments

• 122pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    122pse_edited-1sm.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 067sm.jpg
    067sm.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 142sm.jpg
    142sm.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 117
Choseley, Thornham and Titchwell RSPB

Stopped at Choseley to look for Dotterel, but no luck.

Thornham

The copse by the end of Greenway held a surprise of a Chiffchaff, 1 blackbird and a single robin.

Titchwell RSPB

A pair of Bullfinches in the carpark. Whilst queueing up for cheese and onion pastie, I heard the familiar voice of Eddie Myers at the front of the queue, who I spent the rest of the afternoon birding with. 3 Twite on the new embankment leading to the new hide along with a reed bunting and later on at least 9 Twite on the fresh marsh. A Cettis Warbler also burst into song for a few moments. 9 Shorelark were seen distantly on the beach at the far east end of the boardwalk after lots patience at 3.15pm! Back along the main bank we saw at 3 pintail, 1 Water Pipit, loads of Golden Plover and a Yellow legged Gull, several little egrets, lots of starlings and 2 Marsh Harriers and usual waders.

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

See pictures on blog.

Last edited:

There will be no work taking place on the hide this weekend so the fresh marsh should be disturbance free. The water levels are currently being raised to aid the control of some of the vegetation. Our aim is to get it as high a possible and try and cover some of the low-lying islands.

Paul

Hi Paul - I have heard that Chris Packham is opening the new hide on the 4th December - is this correct please?

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Yarmouth Waxwings

Fill your boots!
The flock seems settled in the Matalan carpark at 9.30, feeding on sycamore keys!
On the way home, we saw three more between Acle & South Walsham. Can only be a matter of time before some find our cotoneasters!

Attachments

• IMG_8293.jpg
    IMG_8293.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8302.jpg
    IMG_8302.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
A nice day out yesterday revealed a pair of Stonechats on Blakeney Freshmarsh, about half a kilometre north of Friary Hills. The American Golden Plover was a little distant, but it stood out rather well anyway.

Only one Grey Phalarope on North Scrape at Cley, but it's my third this Autumn, so I can't complain.

At Titchwell I glimpsed two small passerines as they flew off along the beach; was informed they were Shore Larks, but not the views I was hoping for! Also 6 Twite (which showed much better). 36 Ruff on the freshmarsh.

Winterton Tits

Better late than never, I always say: here's a photo I took of the reported Northern Long-tails at Winterton: shows all the relevant features!

Attachments

• LTTs.jpg
    LTTs.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 311

Users who are viewing this thread

Back