• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (1 Viewer)

Ok no sites, six Goshawk's in the air together in Norfolk, no Sparrow Hawk, do me a favor.

LGRE is not on my xmas card list, however, I suspect he knows what a Goshawk looks like.

Goshawk is more common than you think. Having said, I am sure it will not be when our forrests are sold into private ownership!!!

Last edited:
This may be important to you but it dose not come close to the threat to our NNR's being sold off by the government yet no one has picked this up as a thread on the forum, don't you care,get off the trivia thats posted most days and lobby your MP......

YES YOU ARE RIGHT IT IS IMPORTANT TO ME:C

Re: NNR's - It may not have been picked up on BF, but BF's Jane Turner highlighted it on facebook and I also put the link on my blog - Janehttp://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.com/2011/01/important-petition.html - I have also signed the petition, sent an email to MP's and highlighted on facebook !!!

Perhaps you would like to also contribute and start the thread on BF Dave?

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
The 35 or so Snow Buntings continue to be kicked around Salthouse beach car park and its environs.

Slightly emotive language, FTJ! The Snow Buntings range up and down the shingle at Salthouse, returning frequently to the east end of the carpark when food has been left out by photographers. Like the Turnstones, they seem pretty much unconcerned by people walking past them.

As for the Goshawks: I have no reason to doubt LRGE's observation. The location in question has often produced multiple sightings. Whatever your agenda about Lee, you can be CERTAIN he can tell the difference between a Gos and a Sprawk!

A little reserve is commendable

There is, indeed, a thread on here about the hastily abandoned (it looks like) plans to sell off our national nature reserves, begun on 5th inst.: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=191711&highlight=national+nature+reserves

Further reports on:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rethink-on-sale-of-nature-reserves-2206348.html
and:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environme...og/2011/feb/07/forest-sell-off-nature-reserve

It is, however, as one can see, not very extensive (!). This is a NATIONAL issue and, I’m quite sure, if someone was to post links to it on each county’s birding, butterflying, etc. threads, there would be a much greater response and discussion. A task for the gentleman from Oxford ?

Penny is quite right to highlight this NORFOLK issue on here and it should concern us, with its potential threats to a host of valuable nature sites and proximity to the continuing restoration of the unique fen habitat.

Thanks (Budgiegal) for the info about the multiply-blinged Marsh Tit at Hempton NOA. This has now been confirmed as ‘Marsh’, from the ringing records. It’s difficult to ID these, when you are unable to see the head !

As for the Snow Buntings (Lighthiscandle), an observer a little removed from the walkabout/kickabout action yesterday was in hysterics at the ‘birders’’ going back and forth, mainly not photographing these birds- but getting plenty of exercise. As you say, it would be far better to remain in one place, or use the cover of a fortunately placed vehicle (which is what I did), rather than walk straight towards the birds- and then wonder why they’d flown.

I would, therefore, reiterate that I am repeatedly astonished (as are other long-time Norfolk birders) at the (lack of) fieldcraft displayed by many birders at this site- and others. Perhaps we need a ‘Fieldcraft’ thread (?): covering your bazooka-like lens with camouflage material does not provide immunity from flushing birds.

Last edited:
Thanks (Budgiegal) for the info about the multiply-blinged Marsh Tit at Hempton NOA. This has now been confirmed as ‘Marsh’, from the ringing records. It’s difficult to ID these, when you are unable to see the head !

As for the Snow Buntings (Lighthiscandle), an observer a little removed from the walkabout/kickabout action yesterday was in hysterics at the ‘birders’’ going back and forth, mainly not photographing these birds- but getting plenty of exercise. As you say, it would be far better to remain in one place, or use the cover of a fortunately placed vehicle (which is what I did), rather than walk straight towards the birds- and then wonder why they’d flown.

I would, therefore, reiterate that I am repeatedly astonished (as are other long-time Norfolk birders) at the (lack of) fieldcraft displayed by many birders at this site- and others. Perhaps we need a ‘Fieldcraft’ thread (?): covering your bazooka-like lens with camouflage material does not provide immunity from flushing birds.

LOL! Maybe you should've used a bit more fieldcraft at Hempton? If, perhaps, you'd spent a bit longer looking at the bird than trying to photograph it, you might've i/d-ed it for yourself! (Joking!)

I have to say: being a 'long-time Norfolk birder' myself, I think it's sometimes worth remembering that not everyone is fortunate enough to live here: many birders drive long distances to see 'our' birds and it's, perhaps, not too surprising when they follow birds like SBs, Shorelarks, Laps etc along the shingle. Can you HONESTLY say you've never crept forward for a slightly closer look at a bird you've travelled to see?

That said: I was a little miffed recently when, after 3 hours in the largely bird-free environment of the Fen Hide at Strumpshaw, the 'dog' otter appeared right in front of the hide., only to be spooked immediately by a two-foot t/p lens being thrust through the shutter. No need: it was so close you could've photographed it with a throw-away camera!

I have to say: being a 'long-time Norfolk birder' myself, I think it's sometimes worth remembering that not everyone is fortunate enough to live here: many birders drive long distances to see 'our' birds and it's, perhaps, not too surprising when they follow birds like SBs, Shorelarks, Laps etc along the shingle. Can you HONESTLY say you've never crept forward for a slightly closer look at a bird you've travelled to see?

Weekends at Salthouse as John said can be hilarious. It is not a case of birders creeping up on the SBs but groups running from one end of the carpark to the other, then back again when the birds for some unknown reason decide to flush.
Any birders going to see these should buy a coffee from Julian there. It is mainly his putting out seed that keeps the birds in the area, or at least it was until the photographers started putting sackfulls down!

Weekends at Salthouse as John said can be hilarious. It is not a case of birders creeping up on the SBs but groups running from one end of the carpark to the other, then back again when the birds for some unknown reason decide to flush.
Any birders going to see these should buy a coffee from Julian there. It is mainly his putting out seed that keeps the birds in the area, or at least it was until the photographers started putting sackfulls down!

Plus the coffee is very good and always very welcome on a day out birding in north Norfolk.

Spot on! Totally agree with this. It seems that at every twitch I go to there is some idiot who has to try to get that bit closer.
The Trumpetor Finch when it first showed at East bank last year was a good example of people chasing the bird and not letting it settle. As a kid I was told not to break the skyline, let the bird settle and start feeding and then approach with caution and use cover.
I managed to get Snow Bunting pictures at Salthouse from about 10 feet away just by sitting still and waiting.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave27/5410509781/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dave27/5411001554/

John. Well put. Would also suggest that Salthouse car park is also very busy on weekends with dogs, walkers et al. There is just a lot of people on the weekend, which can not help.

The coffee van is very good and better and cheaper than the visitors centre!!

As for the Goshawks: I have no reason to doubt LRGE's observation. The location in question has often produced multiple sightings. Whatever your agenda about Lee, you can be CERTAIN he can tell the difference between a Gos and a Sprawk!

There is a large area of suitible Goshawk habitat situated in the Brecks. Certain Norfolk birding websites refer to locations in specific detail. I shall not list or quote them!!!

LGRE has not listed sites but records of a days bird watching in Norfolk. His records of Goshawks will be kosher. Much fuss about very little!!!!

50 Corn Buntings were a high count at Denver Sluice this morning.

My website is finally up and running again if anyone's remotely interested...

Mediterranean Gull

Three Mediterranean gulls near Great Yarmouth jetty this afternoon Two with metal rings on them and one with a Darvic green colour ring. Plus near some buildings next to the very expensive white elephant called the outer harbour a Peregrine falcon giving the pigeons a right run a round.

Nick

People’s hatred for photographers on here really does bug me. Yes there are some morons with long lens out there (as there are morons birders), but most photographers respect what they are trying to capture.

People’s hatred for photographers on here really does bug me. Yes there are some morons with long lens out there (as there are morons birders), but most photographers respect what they are trying to capture.

As the last person to mention photographers here, I hope this comment was not due to what I said. Difficult to hate oneself !! I probably spend more time at Salthouse than most {but not with the w/e grockles)

John
http://kellingnaturegallery.fotopic.net/

As the last person to mention photographers here, I hope this comment was not due to what I said. Difficult to hate oneself !! I probably spend more time at Salthouse than most {but not with the w/e grockles) John

John,
You're quite likeable even when you don't have your camera!
MJB

One caud a-soakin’

A trundle around some of my usual haunts produced little in the way of birds.

Gramboro’ was notable only for the regular Snow Buntings in the beach car park.

Holkham Pines had naught.

Wells Woods turned up a very dark Buzzard slowly over and a flock of wet Long-tailed Tits, a-bathing in the Drinking Pond.

At least 7 Bullfinches remained near The Dell. I spotted another spot of red and thought it might a be a berry trapped in a crevice by a bird. No, it was a 7-spot Ladybird. Spring truly springth.

Attachments

• 009psesm.jpg
    009psesm.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 018sm.jpg
    018sm.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back