• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (22 Viewers)

I'm having difficulty getting some of my records in, i know it sounds like an excuse but the computer i use is shared by about 30 other people, there no word documents to save stuff and i'm really busy (lame i know) - birding, running, swimming, tai chi, the staff party is on tonight for chrissake! However i'm not that fussed about getting my name in print, i'm quite happy just seeing the birds i see and don't need them to be ''confirmed'' by other people. If some of my records do make it into the reports i'm quite happy if other people take the credit ;) - anyone else feel the same or is it paramount that all records go in - does it really matter?, I know that stuff like LTS descriptions are important for the general picture in Norfolk so will do my level best to make some time - but it sure as hellfire not gonna be tomorrow ! B :)[
re

Josh. Three points to make on recording.

1. I think the overall picture is important? I suspect the current weather conditions will impact apon common bird populations - in some cases significantly. Submitting records takes on a important role in putting the jigsaw together on population trends.

2. With local rarities, some people submit records others don't. My experience of local rarities commitees, is that issues such as observer "credibility" play a factor in the decision process, particularly with difficult to indentify species. Nobody wants to submit records, which are later rejected! I was in the exactly this position last year. The decision to submit the record was influenced by the fact that a ex BBRC member saw the bird 10 minutes later, in the direction I had seen it fly! I later heard, that some observers, commented that the bird was a red kite - sometimes, you just can not win!!

3. Descriptions. The quality of descriptions sent to recorders is often very poor. DSLR and digi scoping images often help in a large number of cases. However, there is always the distant sea bird or the fly through Red Footed Falcon! Note taking is becoming a lost art. Having said that, describing birds is not always easy - take a Wryneck for example!!:cat::cat:

Josh

Long tailed skua is only a description species for 2010 not 2009, no need for notes on the sheringham birds. The fact that 30+ other people saw them and hopefully submit records should help.

Long Tailed Skua should be a description species. Many individuals passing Sherringham are at extreme range!! :cat::cat:

Bittern at Denver Sluice this morning, still there in the reeds when I left at 10:15am. Also 2 Water Rails and a few Goosander present.

Josh

Long tailed skua is only a description species for 2010 not 2009, no need for notes on the sheringham birds. The fact that 30+ other people saw them and hopefully submit records should help.

There is a rider in the bird report, that says `From time to time recorders reserve the right to seek additional details of other records deemed exeptional, etc' this could be used to ask for details of the some of the distant specks bobbing along the horizon ;)

John

some major backtracking!

There is a rider in the bird report, that says `From time to time recorders reserve the right to seek additional details of other records deemed exeptional, etc' this could be used to ask for details of the some of the distant specks bobbing along the horizon ;)

John

yeah yeah ha ha
you are right that last post i wrote was probably one of the most ridiculous ones ive ever written on here and havent read any responses yet, but really shouldn't be encouraging people to stop sending in descriptions :-O. Have sent in most descriptions from last year and will continue to do so when i get the time, just think when you get something rejected its a shame that it takes some of the gloss off when sometimes if you are completely honest with yourself you know you have seen that particular bird. In a similar way i'm not in the slightest bit bothered when i get birds accepted its not the motivatying factor for my birding,

If you are in a hide or shelter, see a bird, ask every single person whether they are happy with the ID, get a unaminous "yes" from them all i always think those people are the ones that matter, rather than referring it to people who quite often were not even there . Lets face, it some people write a description on the spot (maybe missing more birds that are passing by at that time), some go home write it in the evening. Some people struggle with a description because their English skills are not particularly good - even some of the really good birders - thus unfairly handicapping their chances of getting things accepted, some people copy out of a book. Some people do nothing, some people can recall moments a long time afterwards, - yes everyone should be avid note-takers like in the olden days but everyones different. Because of this factors - sure do your best with descriptions and be as honest as you can, i think it is more important to enjoy birds in the moment rather than identifying yourself as a birder on whether they get accepted or not. I don't think you could enjoy this ''moment'' birding if you were kidding yourself or not 100% sure of your ID.

In regard to the Dark-breasted Barn Owl, Matt, many people enjoyed that bird, discussed it, got great views of Short-eared at the same time, however the discussions at the time i don't believe were firmly committed towards the bird being a definite Guttata, everyone was voicing some concerns even yourself, i just remember coming down, sunny winters evening, good company, cool-looking bird, surely that should be the lasting memory not that it has now got rejected.

Josh

My description for the 19 LTS in 2007 is this ''the first one was called, all i could see at first was an Arctic, then i said to myself forget all the reading and research, just concentrate on what i'm seeing in front of my eyes right now, at that moment it was as if I saw inside a Skua, maybe the Platonic form of a Skua at the dawn of time, it was one of the most spiritual encounters in my life"

think i might be struggling to get that one accepted. ;)

Sd it I'll do the ones for 2009 just in case.

This morning at c.9:20 three redhead Smew showing from the bridge at Saddlebow also 4 Goosander. Later on at Blackborough end tip three Yellow Legged Gulls, 3 Caspians and also a second winter Iceland gull were present but the latter I was not quick enough to get onto before it flew :-C . Norfolk year list now up to 116.

p.s. 3 male Golden Pheasants @ wolferton triangle yesterday.

Titchwell January 10th

Today's highlights

Woodcock - 2+ in scrub around visitor centre
Red kite - 1 hunting over saltmarsh
Glaucous gull - juv on fresh marsh briefly this afternoon

Paul

LTS, that Bird Report and others

Josh: remember that the various records committees only take descriptions of birds’ exteriors !

Venturing out birding in the car for the first time for, it seems, ages saw two goes at Gramboro’ aborted by squalls. There was a 1W Stonechat, which looked as if could turn into a male (you know what I mean), inside the beach car park at Salthouse.

A stop at the Cley Visitor Centre, HNYing ETM, also produced thrushes (mainly Fieldfares and Blackbirds) determinedly thrusting east, into the strong wind. I noticed more Redwings today, as well.

Friary had a Woodcock (surprise, surprise!) and little else, apart from some oddly behaving Lapwings.

On the extreme weather effects on our birdlife, I wonder how the Little Egrets are faring. Does anyone have comparative counts for now and this time last year, say ?

On the 2008 Bird Report, I could wax at some length. You will be glad to know I won’t. However, it would be helpful if, in the light of possible internet issues with the recorders’ email account, they were to start acknowledging records submitted, à la BBRC.

Last edited:
I think Irene posted something along these lines earlier but does anyone know for certain if the county recorders take records from BirdTrack, I know NarVOS do, but was wondering about the county in general? Thanks.

yeah yeah ha ha
you are right that last post i wrote was probably one of the most ridiculous ones ive ever written on here and havent read any responses yet, but really shouldn't be encouraging people to stop sending in descriptions :-O. Have sent in most descriptions from last year and will continue to do so when i get the time, just think when you get something rejected its a shame that it takes some of the gloss off when sometimes if you are completely honest with yourself you know you have seen that particular bird. In a similar way i'm not in the slightest bit bothered when i get birds accepted its not the motivatying factor for my birding,

If you are in a hide or shelter, see a bird, ask every single person whether they are happy with the ID, get a unaminous "yes" from them all i always think those people are the ones that matter, rather than referring it to people who quite often were not even there . Lets face, it some people write a description on the spot (maybe missing more birds that are passing by at that time), some go home write it in the evening. Some people struggle with a description because their English skills are not particularly good - even some of the really good birders - thus unfairly handicapping their chances of getting things accepted, some people copy out of a book. Some people do nothing, some people can recall moments a long time afterwards, - yes everyone should be avid note-takers like in the olden days but everyones different. Because of this factors - sure do your best with descriptions and be as honest as you can, i think it is more important to enjoy birds in the moment rather than identifying yourself as a birder on whether they get accepted or not. I don't think you could enjoy this ''moment'' birding if you were kidding yourself or not 100% sure of your ID.

In regard to the Dark-breasted Barn Owl, Matt, many people enjoyed that bird, discussed it, got great views of Short-eared at the same time, however the discussions at the time i don't believe were firmly committed towards the bird being a definite Guttata, everyone was voicing some concerns even yourself, i just remember coming down, sunny winters evening, good company, cool-looking bird, surely that should be the lasting memory not that it has now got rejected.

Josh. Just go birding and enjoy yourself!!:cat::cat:

Given that the county recorders have an AOL email address it's amazing that there are any records in the report at all. I had one once and when I complained about all my emails not getting through (not even to a junk/spam folder, and without notifying the sender) the member of staff I (eventually) spoke to said he had the same problem and got round it by changing to Googlemail instead! After a while I spoke to a manager who assured me that this was a feature of the marvellous service they provide and that most of their customers were so keen to avoid getting spam that they didn't mind not receiving most of their genuine emails as well.

Incidentally, if you are unfortunate enough to have an AOL email account and want to complain about it, hard as though it will be getting through to them any other way, there's no point in emailing them. They will get your email and might even reply to it, but their award-winning spam-prevention measures will identify the email from their own customer service staff as spam, and so you'll never get it!

I think Irene posted something along these lines earlier but does anyone know for certain if the county recorders take records from BirdTrack, I know NarVOS do, but was wondering about the county in general? Thanks.

Only what Andy mentioned earlier Sim, which is more positive news than I've been able to get out of 'officialdom'! I'd love to know for certain one way or another.

Irene

Well, ultimately yes!! I have fond memories of those meetings up on the common and enjoying the banter, meeting a few folks on here and seeing everyone enjoying the Owls!!

But enough of the past!! I still walk over the common most evenings, no Owl influx this winter though but the area still holds an air of anticipation at dusk...rather like a small version of a broadland roost site, sometimes an Owl, a Woodcock...or sometimes nothing at all!!

This is what the common looks like at present....

Matt

Attachments

• common.jpg
    common.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back