• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (3 Viewers)

Thorpe Station Broad/Marshes

Hi Everyone,

They were high numbers of wildfowl at Thorpe Station Broad in Norwich this morning. The highlights were a Redhead Smew showing well in front of the bird screen as well as 2 Goldeneye (one lovely adult male and an immature male). The Smew is probably one of the birds that has been seen at Whitlingam Country Park on the other side of the river.

Regards

Steve

Any more news on the glossy ibis please?

Welcome to birdforum Ricky.
No news on the Ibis so far today, I would think it is somewhere along the Yare. The chap who saw it does post on the Norfolk thread, goes by the name lightthiscandle.
Who knows, could pick it up on Surlingham roost tomorrow evening!
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Everyone,

They were high numbers of wildfowl at Thorpe Station Broad in Norwich this morning. The highlights were a Redhead Smew showing well in front of the bird screen as well as 2 Goldeneye (one lovely adult male and an immature male). The Smew is probably one of the birds that has been seen at Whitlingam Country Park on the other side of the river.

Regards

Steve

There was a lot of canoeists on Whitlingham Broad this morning, which pushed off most of the ducks. Its good to know one of the Smew is still in the area though. I did manage to find two female Pintail in the conservation area bay, my first Whitlingham record. Also great views of a Peregrine, which came over from Thorpe and soared over the Great Broad before departing whence it came.

There was a lot of canoeists on Whitlingham Broad this morning, which pushed off most of the ducks. Its good to know one of the Smew is still in the area though. I did manage to find two female Pintail in the conservation area bay, my first Whitlingham record. Also great views of a Peregrine, which came over from Thorpe and soared over the Great Broad before departing whence it came.

All the ducks did seem to arrive en masse from across the river so I suspected there might have been some disturbance at Whitlingham. There were high numbers of Tufted Duck and Pochard, the broad seemed to be teeming with ducks. There were a few dodgy looking female Tufties trying to do Scaup impersonations.

Good find with the Pintail. Unfortunately, they did not fly across with the rest of the ducks to Thorpe Broad.

Lets hope the Peregrines at Norwich Cathedral have a successful breeding season this year.

Cheers

Steve

From the steppes of north Norfolk ?

The dramatic photo below shows Gramborough Hill after the dark clouds had passed this afternoon and the colder air started to penetrate clothing. The Snow Buntings at Salthouse were hyper-skittish in the wind, not allowing the visiting and welcome Martin E many (any?) good shots.

By the time we reached the Redpolling Station at Kelling, the sun had dropped- unlike the finches.

Those interested in dragons should follow this link: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2367038&postcount=344

Attachments

• 001pse.jpg
    001pse.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 118
Osprey at Marlingford has to be worth a mention, would that be a very early returner/lost individual/escapee??

Very early returner I'm sure Ben - there's been a few other recent reports elsewhere in the country. Ospreys are regularly seen fairly early in March, although February does seem pretty extreme! Doubt there's an escape risk - I don't think I've ever heard of these being kept in captivity (he said, awaiting a barrage of comments to the contrary...) Anyway, the bigger the breeding population gets, the earlier the first birds will arrive.

My first chance to get up to the north coast this year today. Bit chilly but well worth the effort. Kelling Arctic Redpoll was stunning, two Rough-legs were nice though a bit distant, failed to find any Shorelarks at Holkham but did pick up three Slavs on the sea, then at least four Hen Harriers going to roost later. And all the other nice north Norfolk stuff we all take for granted.

Interested to see the Pale-backed Brent at Kelling, and later at Cley - leucistic bird presumably rather than any sort of hybrid?

Cheers

Andy

The big egret headed Marlingford way late morning. Maybe the same bird as last year - hmm? Any further views of it?

BirdBeard

Yes! It's back at Colney GPs on the "long pit". View from the north end of Chapel Break road (just before "New Road" - the turn to Bawburgh). Map here (if it works) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=212536895808116858618.0004b9500a2a8ee07eca7&msa=0

I was really annoyed at myself yesterday having unwittingly driven past the bird twice!! However, improved my "large white blob spotting" skills by actually stopping the car, and relocated it this morning at 9.30. According to the info services it's still there late morning...
Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
Just too bad: cross (at) bill for fuel to Lynford

At the first pager message, I decided to make my way south-west, towards a certain Arboretum. Unfortunately, it was too late to connect with the pair (!) of Too Bads which, as far as I’m aware, weren’t seen after my arrival.

I was told that photographic evidence would be published this evening. To the time of my posting this, nothing has appeared on some more usual sites, nor the following: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=223226

As I’d reasoned before leaving, there should be compensations at this site- and this proved to be the case. Firecrests, Marsh Tits, Hawfinches (around 20 reported, including 2 singing), Common Crossbills (male posing nicely in afternoon sun) and singy Siskins were they.

In addition, it was nice to see people I hadn’t seen for some time.

Attachments

• 056pse.jpg
    056pse.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 175
  • 043pse.jpg
    043pse.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 128
Je n'egret rien

Yes! It's back at Colney GPs on the "long pit". View from the north end of Chapel Break road (just before "New Road" - the turn to Bawburgh). Map here (if it works) http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=212536895808116858618.0004b9500a2a8ee07eca7&msa=0

However, improved my "large white blob spotting" skills by actually stopping the car, and relocated it this morning at 9.30. According to the info services it's still there late morning...
Cheers,
Mike

I too noticed a white shape on the far side of the inlet. This white blob turned into the great white egret. Kept head tucked in most of the time. Best view when bird had a big stretch. Heron roosting close by for comparison.

Excellent Norwich tick. Bird seen up river east of Marlingford in afternoon.

Last edited:
I managed to track the Great White down to a spot on the Yare between Bawburgh and Marlingford, just after the golf club, this avo. Lovely flight views as it moved about fishing. The field next to it was rammed with Fieldfares too. Thanks to the other bearded birder who let me have a look in his scope as I only had my bins.

It rounded off a nice few days of Twite, Rock Pipit, Hawfinch & Crossbill, all of which will almost certainly feature in the latest blog on www.Birdbeards2010.com.

Roger Daltrey Over & Out,
BirdBeard

I commented earlier (post 15076) on the exceptional numbers of Red-throated Divers reported by Willowgrouse (post 15069) past Titchwell on February 9th 2012. Robert Smith also had an excellent count a few days later at Holme (post 15125). As Neil Lawton pointed out (15077), such numbers are not exceptional in north-east Norfolk - approximately eastwards from Sheringham - but they are unusual for the northwest of the county. But how unusual ?

Stevenson (Birds of Norfolk Vol 3, 1890) was well aware of good numbers in the northeast. He commented, for example, that "during the last week in October 1872, while steaming with the herring fleet outside the Cross Sands, off Yarmouth, I noticed some hundreds of red-throated divers....the whole of the birds were collected within a short distance of the herring-boats, evidently attracted to the spot by the abundance of fish. Evidently, though we may have lost the herring, we still retain the divers in that part of the county. Stevenson makes no reference to any significant numbers of red-throats in the northwest of the county.

The highest count of Red-throated Divers I can trace from any Norfolk inshore waters westwards from Blakeney Point up until winter 1996/97 is of 74 birds past Holme on 19th February 1991. Note however, that the Red-throated Diver was not actually added to the systematic list in the county bird report until 1975 and the accounts until the mid 1990s are pretty spartan affairs. There may be high counts that I have overlooked hidden away in the reserve reports in the county bird report from the years prior to 1975.

In winter 1996/97, however, an amazing 459 birds were reported past Holme on January 12th 1997 (373 birds west, 86 east). In the subsequent winters, the highest counts reported for any site westwards from Blakeney Point were

1997/98 - 36
1998/99 - 74
1999/00 - 20
2000/01 - 135 (80 west, 55 east Holme Nov 28th 2000)
2001/02 - 104 (36 west, 68 east Holme Dec 4th 2001)
2002/03 - 59
2003/04 - 38
2004/05 - 159 (west Titchwell in 2hrs, January 13th 2005)
2005/06 - 44
2006/07 - 300 (Holme Jan 5th 2007)
2007/08 - 83
2008/09 - 31
2009/10 - 30
2010/11 - 27 (data available for first half of winter only so far)

Three-figure counts for the west of the county are thus very unusual, but not unheard of.

Willowgrouse's count of Red-throated Divers would appear to be the highest number ever reported moving westwards in the west of the county but the total number reported (440 +) is just 19 birds short of the 1997 record. Might the record have fallen with just a few more minutes watching or can that + be refined a bit ?

Andy

Two-barred Crossbill Linford Arboretum today

Hello All, Trip back to the Midlands waiting for Photo to be sent through from photographer Bird guides uploads not Working.

Regards, John Harris

Attachments

• _MG_0451 copy#001.jpg
    _MG_0451 copy#001.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 673
Hello All, Trip back to the Midlands waiting for Photo to be sent through from photographer Bird guides uploads not Working.

Regards, John Harris

Thanks John. Sorry, not really clear from your message, but is this a picture of the bird today at Lynford? Taken by you? Sorry, just not clear.

Yes, BirdGuides is having a bit of trouble this weekend with some changes of their server provider I think.

Cheers

Andy

Two-barred Crossbill

Thanks John. Sorry, not really clear from your message, but is this a picture of the bird today at Lynford? Taken by you? Sorry, just not clear.

Yes, BirdGuides is having a bit of trouble this weekend with some changes of their server provider I think.

Cheers

Andy

Yes the bird was identified by myself today I was on a bird club trip, the photo was taken by a club member while I was present other photographs were taken by another person on site who said he would send his pictures to myself. Seen feeding in larch by the Lodge 11:24

John

Yes the bird was identified by myself today I was on a bird club trip, the photo was taken by a club member while I was present other photographs were taken by another person on site who said he would send his pictures to myself. Seen feeding in larch by the Lodge 11:24

John

Thanks for putting news out. Sure to be some unhappy locals!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back