• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (3 Viewers)

I was told that photographic evidence would be published this evening.

And it was, as we saw in #15256.

That is, frustratingly tho’ conclusively, good enough for me. I think I even recognize the Larch. Would that this place wasn’t a hundred mile round trip. Well done to all who ‘contributed’ and thanks for the confirmation (as the parents said to the bishop).

Two-barred Crossbill

Hello All,
Another picture has been sent through today, the picture was taken yesterday at the same time as the first picture posted, Linford Arboretum. Birdguides photo uploads still not working.

Regards, John

Attachments

• _MG_0451 copy#002.jpg
    _MG_0451 copy#002.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 315
Pointy-eared Crossbill ?

Not casting any aspersions, here, but I see a distinct similarity between its left ear and Mr S’s !

Another clincher of a photo. Congrats, whoever.

Fortunately, Nick’s (BTO 2-letter) codes haven’t caught on and gone straight into general usage here. Some US information sites are full of these- and damned confusing and time-wasting they are for an occasional observer.

No sign of the 2BXB

However, we now have the above ! Two bed & breakfasts ? Some variant of a 4x4 ? Then, brain clicked in: OMG (no! not 'oiled merganser'), 4-character codes, too.

Bad luck, Andy. If you’re there every morning for the 4seeable, you could well be lucky.

Attachments

• Mr Spock.jpg
    Mr Spock.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
However, we now have the above ! Two bed & breakfasts ? Some variant of a 4x4 ? Then, brain clicked in: OMG (no! not 'oiled merganser'), 4-character codes, too.

Bad luck, Andy. If you’re there every morning for the 4seeable, you could well be lucky.

And I might be... my 8th top target according to BUBO Listing. Never got round to trying for one before, but about time I knocked this one on the head really.

2BXB is just a lazy spur-of-the-moment abbreviation. Actually, it appears that the official BTO 2-letter code for Two-barred Crossbill is 'PD'. Obvious really, don't know why more people don't use this in everyday parlance...

Cheers

Andy

Red-throated diver passage

... Willowgrouse's count of Red-throated Divers would appear to be the highest number ever reported moving westwards in the west of the county but the total number reported (440 +) is just 19 birds short of the 1997 record. Might the record have fallen with just a few more minutes watching or can that + be refined a bit ?

There are two things worth noting here, Andy:

Firstly, there was a smaller passage the previous morning soon after first light when 80+ were recorded (62 west in little more than 20 mins early a.m., plus c.20 on the sea, plus single BT and GN Divers).

Secondly, the total of 440+ is made up of 391 west in just 30 mins early morning, plus an estimated 50 or so present on the sea. Therefore record-breaking refinement is unfortunately not an option. I have no doubt that the total would have been higher with more time available as birds were streaming west in loose flocks of 30-40 at a time. Before I departed I scanned eastwards, counting flying birds as far east as I could positively identify them, and then headed off to work. There was no appreciable slowing-up of movement immediately before I left (I wish I had stayed now).

Willowgrouse

Fortunately, Nick’s (BTO 2-letter) codes haven’t caught on and gone straight into general usage here. Some US information sites are full of these- and damned confusing and time-wasting they are for an occasional observer.

Not to put too fine a point on it but I don't think I am the only person to talk in code on this thread, John! At least there's an online cheat-sheet for 'mine' ;)

Having never used them (BTO 2-letter codes) before 2009, I can honestly say they've been a revelation to my note-taking and in-the-field messaging, something I just wanted to flag up with folk. OK (sorry, okay) so a 'general interest' forum for occasional observers (is that really the Norfolk thread?) isn't the ideal place for them, but if you haven't tried 'em (sorry, them) in ur (sorry, your) own notebook / texts, they are well worth a go. I'd been set in my note-taking ways for 25 years and won't be going back to the bad old days - something worth sharing, no?

Last edited:
Code of conned duck ?

but I don't think I am the only person to talk in code on this thread

Wasn’t really having a dig @ u, Nick, but the possible mass use of these things. I see that you, too, replied in the same lightly humorous spirit of my post. As I said, some US info sites consist of strings of similar codes and are as dry as some of our rivers and reservoirs (R&R). Certainly, in the field and in texts, once the user (and recipient) has mastered them, they must be invaluably time-and-space-saving.

I use abbrevs., like ev’ry1 else. But, there is a limit !

If an abbreviation more than momentarily impedes the reading of a passage, then it’s not fulfilling one of its functions- speedily to facilitate meaning.

[‘STD’, for instance, applies not just to telephonic communication. And, as for Stone Curlew (TN) and Spotted Redshank (DR), just to pluck two from the list (I’m glad I didn’t have to work these things out: is there an account, somewhere?)- these must be learned.]

Thus, it is counter-productive and, rather in the manner of someone who constantly utilises poly-syllabic and/or arcane vocabulary, causes perplexity to and the consternation of the οἱ πολλοί.

As for the ‘purpose’ of this thread: Shirley, a variety of them- ‘all things to all’.

I agree, therefore, that they are definitely “worth sharing”. I, for one, have downloaded the ‘cheat sheet’ (cs).

BTO codes are very useful, I use them nearly every day! The big problem with everyone having their own short hand abbreviations is that they are often gibberish to others, whereas at least bto codes are a 'known' language that all can understand (once learnt).
My notebook would be quite a mess without them, they are worth learning for general recording, especially for WeBS /breeding bird surveys where you need to get the info on paper quickly, even more especially so if the info is to be sent off for a national survey, where bto codes are the language used and understood.
PS some of the codes make more sense than first meets the eye for example: Spotted redshank = DR= Dusky Redshank, the old name for the species.

Again not having a pop, just totally agreeing with Nick in their value in the general birding world.

Cheers,

Thus, it [the use of 2-letter codes] is counter-productive and, rather in the manner of someone who constantly utilises poly-syllabic and/or arcane vocabulary, causes perplexity to and the consternation of the οἱ πολλοί.
The (intentional, I'm sure) irony of the above sentence is also worth sharing - made me smile, anyway ;)

Back to the birds, no sign of any Dual-striped Angrybeaks (/PD/2BXB/Two-barred you get the idea) at Lynford early am (Pete Dolton); a team has just been dispatched from the Nunnery for a lunchtime attempt.

Last edited:
Broadland Buzzards!

I know Buzzards are spreading widely into Norfolk, but four displaying together is still an unusual sight in Blofield Heath!

Attachments

• four.jpg
    four.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 65
  • dark close 2.jpg
    dark close 2.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 82
  • Three  good.jpg
    Three good.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 73
  • two close.jpg
    two close.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 83
  • well-marked.jpg
    well-marked.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 73
Twelve Common buzzards up together in group together at Swanton Novers today the most I have seen so far this year , but not exceptional.

As for the use of codes , that’s fine for personal note taking , but what is the point of using them to impart information if 99% of the bird watching community do not know what they mean. You might as well write in Chinese for all the good it does.

If you have to use codes in a post at least put a legend on the post to say what you mean. When someone put 2bxb on the other day I did not have a clue what they meant and certaintly did not connect the code with crossbills. I was thinking more in terms of an off road car. I feel that if the sender could not be bothered to write in plain English I could not be bothered to find out what he meant. In which case there was not a lot of point of posting in the first place. They might be fine if the full birds name is used first in a post , but otherwise are best left for computer input forms and even here I refuse to use them when sending in survey results though I do use my own codes when doing common bird surveys as there is not enough space on the maps otherwise , but translate them back into full english for public use. Its like some people using B instead of "be" or 4 instead of "for" in texting. I refuse to answer such texts and ask the sender to write again in plain English.

Its what English as an language is for.

Last edited:
The LWFG (sorry Tiderliner ;)) has not been reported since the 17th, although I have not heard negative news of it yet either.
I noticed that there was a report of one in Ireland, I think it was yesterday? Would be interesting if that's the same bird, not that we are likely to ever know of course. Just thought I'd bring it up on here, a lesser whitefront in Ireland is surely very lost

Eagle sp today

The probable White-tailed eagle near Ormesby was seen by Gary White (Garybirder on here) on his way home from Yarmouth. It was initially seen being mobbed by Buzzards before landing in a tree near the A149. The 'probable' relates to the White-tailed bit, he didn't have his binoculars on him so couldn't swear that it was this species of Eagle. He will put a map showing the exact location up here later, but its his wife's birthday, hence me posting the details ;)

Anyone seen or have any info on the Eagle? Would love to know if it was etill there at dusk and types of views that people are having.

Cross-posted there. Gary said it was in the area until dusk, but frustratingly for him only one other birder arrived between the message going out and dusk so there was no-one with a 'scope to get clinching views.

... are best left for computer input forms and even here I refuse to use them when sending in survey results though I do use my own codes when doing common bird surveys as there is not enough space on the maps otherwise ...

That is the very point, Tideliner. The 2-digit codes are designed for, and used by, the vast majority of field survey workers for that very same reason. The fact that you have designed your 'own codes' shows that (a) there is a need for them, and (b) they do work

Willowgrouse

Users who are viewing this thread

Back