• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Thanks John, unfortunately I started birding in the 90's which makes it all the more annoying that they've been so scarce in recent years. I have missed the chance to see quite a few over the years, so this is the year where I will make a real effort to find one!

Titchwell April 5th

Today’s highlights

Water pipit – moulting bird on fresh marsh
Velvet scoter – 1 offshore
Wheatear – female on beach
Bittern – 1 in flight over reedbed

Paul

Reverse migration

...When I taught ornithology at university the accepted term “reverse migration “ meant a bird that migrated in the opposite direction to normal due to a genetic abnormality...

This is indeed the oldest and most common conception of 'reverse migration' but I have always doubted the wisdom of the term 'genetic abnormality'. Far from being abnormal is it not essentially normal for a small percentage of a breeding bird population to behave in a different manner to the masses, thus exploring new (potential wintering/breeding) territory? Is this not what the dynamics of bird populations are all about?

Genetically different perhaps, but not abnormal.

To completely change the subject yet again...and look to proper spring.

Can anyone post/pm me dates of past spring/autumn Icterine warblers in Norfolk/suffolk.
From looking at past bird reports it seems to be mid-late May/aug. I'm hoping someone has a program whereby they can just type Icterine and it comes out with dates rather than trawling through years of data.

I know its quite wind dependent but this year I really want to find/see one, so want to book a few days off in peak time in advance.
Many thanks.
PS Strumpshaw now has a few Reed,Sedge and Grasshopper warblers (mon) as well as a noticeable wave of Willow Warblers yesterday

I don't have such a program unfortunately, but I do for my own records. For spring records late May and early June is best - the 3 I've seen have been between 30th May and 6th June and I think they were pretty typical. In autumn I've personally seen more in September than August, but their appearance depends largely on the weather. A shame they've gone so scarce recently. Even in the early 90s they weren't easy to find - I chased after loads without success before deciding I wouldn't chase after any more until I'd found my own. It wasn't long before I did!

To completely change the subject yet again...and look to proper spring.

Can anyone post/pm me dates of past spring/autumn Icterine warblers in Norfolk/suffolk.
From looking at past bird reports it seems to be mid-late May/aug. I'm hoping someone has a program whereby they can just type Icterine and it comes out with dates rather than trawling through years of data.

I know its quite wind dependent but this year I really want to find/see one, so want to book a few days off in peak time in advance.
Many thanks.
PS Strumpshaw now has a few Reed,Sedge and Grasshopper warblers (mon) as well as a noticeable wave of Willow Warblers yesterday

My bird recorder programme of my Norfolk/Suffolk records shows the following dates for Icterine Warblers:

Blakeney 21/05/1994
Great Yarmouth 09/09/1995
Burnham Overy 20/05/1997
Bungay 31/05/2004

Salthouse 21/08/1997
Wells-next-Sea 21/09/2002
Wells-next-Sea 14/09/2009 ( ;) Stu!!!)

Sue

.....Can anyone post/pm me dates of past spring/autumn Icterine warblers in Norfolk/suffolk.
From looking at past bird reports it seems to be mid-late May/aug......
14th August 2010 http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/seawatching-and-blakeney-point.html

and one I didn't see!!!! http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/bad-start-to-day.html

and one seen on 27th August 2010 http://pennyshotbirdingandlife.blogspot.co.uk/2010/08/mega-day-booted-warbler-and-lapland.html

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all the Icky info everyone. I think I'm well armed with the rough dates to take off of work and blitz the coast. I hope its a good spring and the winds are kind!

Thanks again for all the data

Just for completeness I have put together a list of all Ickys from the Norfolk bird reports (I have 8 copies between 2000 and 2009), info given to me on here and internet searches.

I have attached the excel spreadsheet which documents quite a few (but not all) records available. I dont believe it gives away any sensitive info about the species, but its worth mentioning that you cant get to Scolt without wading across mud/strong currents (don't do it unless you know what your doing etc!)

-sightings vary hugely between years, 2002 and 2008 being the stand out years.

-Scolt, Blakeney pt and Holkham in that order are the hotspots for the species.

-There is a 25:54 split between spring:autumn sightings.

thanks again

Attachments

• Icterine warbler dates locations Norf Suff.xlsx
    18.4 KB · Views: 100
Anyone know if the Norfolk Wildlife trust or the RSPB are going to raise the funds and buy the marsh? Cley is a Ramsar site after all, surely a little habit creation on the land in question would make it a priority for national conservation efforts. Or is it currently being kept under wraps as discussions in process etc?

Anyone know if the Norfolk Wildlife trust or the RSPB are going to raise the funds and buy the marsh? Cley is a Ramsar site after all, surely a little habit creation on the land in question would make it a priority for national conservation efforts. Or is it currently being kept under wraps as discussions in process etc?

I think out of the two only the RSPB would have £1.2 million available for new land? Just a guess though.
It would be a fantastic bit of land to buy, despite its lack of protection.

Golden Pheasant

I saw a Golden Pheasant running along the hedgerow last night whilst driving through the village of Burston near Diss (not sure if that is Norfolk or Suffolk).

I did take a photo and could upload later if anyone wants to see it.

I'm guessing it is an escapee from someones garden in that location though :)

A nice afternoon walk around the patch yesterday gave me my first returning Sedge warbler Of the year along with the 2 x Lrp's and 4x noisey Oystercatchers .
On the subject of Golden Pheasents , is the one that has been hanging around at sculthorpe wild ? It was sulking alot when a saw it last year and didn't seem tame?
Shaky

A nice afternoon walk around the patch yesterday gave me my first returning Sedge warbler Of the year along with the 2 x Lrp's and 4x noisey Oystercatchers .
On the subject of Golden Pheasents , is the one that has been hanging around at sculthorpe wild ? It was sulking alot when a saw it last year and didn't seem tame?
Shaky

The only way to make any Golden Pheasant wild is to chuck something at it;)

John

I saw a Golden Pheasant running along the hedgerow last night whilst driving through the village of Burston near Diss (not sure if that is Norfolk or Suffolk).

I did take a photo and could upload later if anyone wants to see it.

I'm guessing it is an escapee from someones garden in that location though :)

Still interesting to see, just a smart looking bird no matter where its from. be great to see your shot.

Regards Kieran

Hi all

There's only days left now to book your place at the upcoming BTO Norfolk Birdwatchers Conference at East Tuddenham on Saturday 14th April. We've got a "fantastic line-up of guest speakers" (*) talking on all aspects of birdwatching from nest recording to ringing, patch birding to seawatching. There will also be a host of local bird clubs, a raffle and a bird ID quiz. The full programme and booking form is available here, book now to avoid disappointment.

Thanks

Andy

(* and me, if I pull my finger out and prepare something ...)

On a different matter, I heard from a friend of a friend, that apparently there were "about a thousand" seals hauled up on the beach at Horsey. This seems highly odd for early April? Anyone else noticed these? Perhaps displaced from Scroby Sands off Yarmouth?

I don't know if Greys (presumably) or Common - have asked for a photo to be forwarded to me so might learn more then.

Ta

Andy

Overpriced ?

In case any philanthropic millionaires are passing, per Birding World, Pope's Marsh, Cley (East of East Bank) is on the market for a mere 1.2 million (or 24,000 £50 donations :t:)

Increasing the mosaic of managed and protected freshwater pools in this most dynamic and special of environments will afford a greater degree of resilience from the ever present threat of saltwater incursion.

Cheers, Rob

I don't claim to have any experience of land prices, but how on earth can Pope's marsh be worth 1.2million?

I was led to believe that good agricultural land is going for around £6500 to £7000 per acre.

How can Pope's marsh, at best marginal grazing land, likely to be inundated by the sea in our lifetimes and wholely unsuitable for commercial developement, be worth £1.2million of anybody's money?

Seals

On a different matter, I heard from a friend of a friend, that apparently there were "about a thousand" seals hauled up on the beach at Horsey. This seems highly odd for early April? Anyone else noticed these? Perhaps displaced from Scroby Sands off Yarmouth?

I don't know if Greys (presumably) or Common - have asked for a photo to be forwarded to me so might learn more then.

They've been there for over a month. They seem happy enough, but I'm a confirmed windfarm detester: demolish the lot, I say!

Attachments

• seals.jpg
    seals.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 61
  • seal group.jpg
    seal group.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back