• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (14 Viewers)

Titchwell October 30th

Today’s highlights

Little auk – 1 offshore
Long tailed duck – 3 offshore
Waxwing – 14 west
Snow bunting – 26 west along beach
Yellow legged gull – adult on fresh marsh

Paul

What on earth is a SB's ? I do wish people would be bothered to write a birds name , after whats the point in posting a species if nobody knows what you mean.

If i had to guess I would think it was a saddle back ( gull ) the local name for great or lesser black backed gulls.

SB = Snow Bunting.

What on earth is a SB's ? I do wish people would be bothered to write a birds name , after whats the point in posting a species if nobody knows what you mean.

If i had to guess I would think it was a saddle back ( gull ) the local name for great or lesser black backed gulls.

Snow Buntings I'm guessing.

9 waxwings over the River Yare late afternoon, flew from Brundall marina towards Coldham hall pub. 1st I've seen in the Broads this autumn/winter. 2 water pipits in front of the Fen hide at Strumpshaw this morning taking advantage of our half cut viewing strips in the reedbed (should be done by Thursday) Also 1 ringtail Hen late afternoon..... All sounds very wintery to me!

One foot in the grove ?

That’s certainly how long the cone seems to be that the squirrel’s garnered in the deepest recesses of the Dell. It was not letting it go, no matter how close I approached. Had it bitten off more than it could chew ?

I’d started at the west end of Sheringham (not as grand as it sounds), where I had a House Martin, Woodcock, Tree Sparrow and Bramblings. A certain amount of stalking enabled the shot below. 4 large Redpolls (!) flew east, calling normally.

Another day when my plans went awry. I didn’t get to Gramboro’; neither did I see the Salthouse Shorelark (again), although I was fairly close. A large white bird scuppered this. Flying up from south of the Little Eye (you should have heard the person I was with: “Can’t they ID a ----ing hill, now ? !”), rather than its slightly larger companion, it soon pitched down on the freshmarsh, where it gave good egret- and probably what for to numerous fishies/eels/frogs/etc.

Wells Woods had some Chiffies, flyover Redpolls, a Peacock butterfly and the splendid Rousel below. I’d hazard a guess at 1W male.

Attachments

• 028pse.jpg
    028pse.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 219pse.jpg
    219pse.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 277pse.jpg
    277pse.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 302pse.jpg
    302pse.jpg
    324.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 282pse.jpg
    282pse.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 125
I then submitted, for the third day running (although I trudged), to the weary trek west from Lady Anne’s, in the hope of better views of stripy warblers. These were had- marginally.

A pretty sunset did not eclipse in the slightest the loveliness of the person with whom I walked back to the car.

Attachments

• 329pse.jpg
    329pse.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 170
  • 334pse.jpg
    334pse.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 349pse.jpg
    349pse.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 113
Many thanks to the original observer/s at Cromer and RBA for getting the news out about the Great White Egret fast. It enabled me to get to the top of Gramborough Hill in time to pick it up coming over Muckleburgh. It soon became obvious that the bird was going to land in the immediate area and sure enough it pitched down in a ditch due south of where I was standing. Unfortunately it only lingered a couple of minutes before continuing on west but an excellent, adrenalin charged moment.

The Shorelark was still present near the car park but it eluded me, although four each of Swallow and Redpoll going west was nice consolation. Two adult Little Gulls also flew west offshore. Glad to see that there are still a few Ring Ouzels about the coast and a quick stomp around Salthouse village in the afternoon produced one in the disused horse paddock north of the church. Ended up with a nice count of 18 Blackbirds in one small garden feeding on windfall apples.

Another day when my plans went awry. I didn’t get to Gramboro’; neither did I see the Salthouse Shorelark (again), although I was fairly close. A large white bird scuppered this. Flying up from south of the Little Eye (you should have heard the person I was with: “Can’t they ID a ----ing hill, now ? !”), rather than its slightly larger companion, it soon pitched down on the freshmarsh, where it gave good egret- and probably what for to numerous fishies/eels/frogs/etc.

Hello John.

If you see your swearing friend again, please tell him I do know my North Norfolk hills. It did as I said in my previous post land south of Gramborough. I then phoned it through to RBA again when it flew on and landed south of Little Eye. Looking back towards the car park it didn't look like anyone had picked up on it even when it landed behind the duckpond.

Cheers mate.

Steve.

Last edited:
Many thanks to the original observer/s at Cromer and RBA for getting the news out about the Great White Egret fast. It enabled me to get to the top of Gramborough Hill in time to pick it up coming over Muckleburgh. It soon became obvious that the bird was going to land in the immediate area and sure enough it pitched down in a ditch due south of where I was standing. Unfortunately it only lingered a couple of minutes before continuing on west but an excellent, adrenalin charged moment.

No problem, it was a very nice surprise indeed as it flew towards me along the shoreline below Cromer golf course and a great buzz of excitement when I got my bins on it and realised it wasn't going to be 'just' a Little Egret. Also very pleasing that it could be shared with other observers further along the coast.

Simon

Ringed Shag

Hi Andy

Pic attached of one of the Cromer Shags taken today, rubbish quality but you can see its ring(s).

Regards

Simon

For anyone interested I've heard back today that the Shag in question was ringed on the Farnes as a chick on 8th August 2012.

A dozen plus were still roosting on the lifeboat ramp on the end of Cromer Pier throughout the day.

Simon

Last edited:
East Hills

A stunning day at East Hills, produced a fabulous male Peregrine sitting in a pine tree, a Woodcock, Hen Harrier, Great spotted Woodpecker.;)

Dipped on the Pallas's Warbler again at Holkham:-C

Full update on blog.

Penny:girl:

Last edited:
Mike , there is a very good reason why I do not usualy name specific sites. Many are private and many will not stand hoards of twitchers. Its a pity more people do not keep the locations of birds to themselves , it would be a lot better for the birds. Many of the birds i see are found during survey work , ie for planing permission for wind farms or industrial sites and the last thing I need is for the site to be disturbed by a load of bird watchers next time I am there. If the place is disturbed I will record fewer birds and may miss something important that would have resulted in stopping the developement.

To use the term Broadland or North Coast alerts people that the birds are about and them its up to them to find them. I never go to see what is reported on bird line or whats on this forum and if i see a twitch going on I rapidly walk the other way.

To use a couple of letters that could mean anything is plain daft. BTO codes are meant for computer \ form use not to replace established names.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back