• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (4 Viewers)

Scanning for Eider today was not productive; I did not see them yesterday, eider.

Perhaps the on-shore wind is too rough for them to feed.

With seagulls not my forte, am I fussing over this fuscus, or is it something a little better ? (Visible just before midday.)

***BRÜNNICH'S GUILLEMOT***

Cley, landed on sea at 1145h ? ? ? (from RBA website)

Attachments

• 123pse.jpg
    123pse.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 125pse.jpg
    125pse.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Some smashing wildlife in The Broads over the last few days. Highlights include 4 Otter sightings (of presumably 2/3 individuals) at Strumpshaw, Ringtail Hen Harrier at roost, Waxwing found at Buckenham station and a Water Pipit on the marshes. Details and a few pics on me blog as always.
Cheers,
Jim.

Quick question

The Richardson's around Cley? Is it tickable? It has been going out in lower case on the pager, so I guessed it wasn't but I noticed today it is going out on the rarities channel too (whereas things like the Sacred Ibis doesn't).

Quick question

The Richardson's around Cley? Is it tickable? It has been going out in lower case on the pager, so I guessed it wasn't but I noticed today it is going out on the rarities channel too (whereas things like the Sacred Ibis doesn't).

Well, that depends on what you're prepared to tick! I presume it's going out on the rarities channel because it's a species that occurs naturally in the UK and is a rarity, and I presume it's going out in lower case because there is some significant doubt as to its origin.

I see no reason to dismiss this as an escaped bird as some seem to be doing, but equally no reason to assume it's a wild bird. So far as I know there is no clear evidence from which we can draw conclusions as to whether this is a wild bird or an escaped bird, so I would treat it as of unknown origin. If you're happy ticking birds that may or may not be wild then tick it, but if you'd prefer not to tick birds unless they are very probably wild then wait until you see one that's migrating with Pink-feet. Alternatively if you only want to tick birds that are wild beyond any reasonable doubt then wait for a bird ringed or satellite tagged in North America to turn up (you might have to wait a while).

I have noticed some criticism of those who claim this bird is wild but I have not come across anyone who actually is claiming it's wild. I wonder if the critics are confusing entertaining the possibility that something might be wild with claiming it is wild.

Quick question

I have known of a number of small Canada on the Essex reservoirs, some have moved off with the Canada to their breeding area, presume these must be feral. The Norfolk bird has always been associating with Canada and on occasion has been close to the footpath at Kelling and not flushed (not that that is too relevant).
Every few years a small Canada is found with the Pinks, arriving with them and leaving with them, as do the Ross`s and Snow`s that are considered by most to be genuine. I would wait for one of those if you want to tick with a reasonable conscience.
Re the Sacred Ibis, I have heard that there is now a good and expanding population in France not too far from the channel coast. If this is correct, I would think there is a fair chance that is where the British birds originate from.
If so they must be as tickable as Canada Geese etc. If I was ticking would put that as good, if not better than the small Canada.

John

www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

Last edited:
I have noticed some criticism of those who claim this bird is wild but I have not come across anyone who actually is claiming it's wild. I wonder if the critics are confusing entertaining the possibility that something might be wild with claiming it is wild.

I note that LGRE has commented on Twitter that he wont get another year tick unless he goes to Cley tomorrow so I can only assume that he considers it to be wild.

A mainland Brunnich's would be most welcome. Have memories of a unpleasant ferry journey to Shetland finished off by dipping what had been a long staying Brunnich's in Lerwick Harbour.

Cley is currently the premier location to see a fly by Brunnich's. A number of the records have been seen briefly by well respected observers. Indeed one of the more recent reports was from a birder/wildlife artist who had recently returned from the Artic Circle. None of these records have yet been accepted, showing just how difficult it is to convince the BBRC of the ID of fast flying Auk seen on a seawatch.

It is highly probable that Brunnich's does occur in the North Sea more regularly than first thought, although the fact it is rarely reported further North at well watched seawatching localities in Yorkshire and Durham, with viewing points that are more elavated, allowing more prolonged viewing is in itself quiet interesting.

Lets hope a Brunnick's settles on the sea or even better on the Marshes right next to a small Canada Goose! That would be a great way to start the new year.

Last edited:
Happy New Year to you all

And from me. (I don’t think I can remember having seen as many emoticons in a single line, as in Penny’s message.)

Bearing in mind another grievous ‘loss’ of Rufus Columb, who’d rather be seen dead in County (before a fleeting appearance at Stubbs Mill last year), I pen a ditty of hope for us:

“A Great New Year’s birding in ‘13,
With lifers and megas and huge falls seen:
To lumpers and splitters,
Plus all you big-hitters;
All contentious IDs checked on cam’ra screen.”

Not being one for joining the crowds, I took a leisurely stroll around Hickling reserve this morning.
I honestly thought that I was in for the quietest day ever, when, after 30mins, my list stood at Bluetits 1...Woodpigeons 1.

Luckily things did improve with good views of 5+ marsh harriers, a bittern, 5 snipe several hundred peewits, various wildfowl, a hunting kestrel, a pair of common cranes
two treecreepers and a marsh tit, plus the usual supporting cast.

Thought I would have a walk round UEA lake this morning, not much to see, 4 redpols, was the best seen.
But on the way home over Ringland, 1 red kite, 2 buzzards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back