• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (2 Viewers)

Anyone got any thoughts on the origin of the Richardsons Canada Goose on North Wootton Marshes? With Pinkies so sounding good to me already though do wonder if it's the Cley/Kelling bird...

I thought my Pink-footed Geese sighting this morning was a good local record but upon returning to the work unit this afternoon, one of my colleagues asked me if I could identify a bird that he had photographed on his post round in the middle of the road north of Fritton Common and just east of Long Stratton at around 11.00am. He thought it might be some kind of duck or goose as it had webbed feet.
I looked at the photograph and was gobsmacked when I saw it was an ADULT SHAG :eek!: in all its green finery. He actually had to shoo it off the road to saftey and it clamboured up and perched on top of a cut bramble patch where my colleague then took another photo.
Needless to say I headed straight out there to hopefully see it too, and my mate came with me.
Unfortunately it appeared to have gone and we could not find it despite a thorough search of the immediate area.
My collegue said the Shag didn't look like it was suffering in any way so I would like to think that it was just tired and flew off after having a rest bringing a happy end to the story and for that reason I am kinda glad not to have seen it. Also though, part of me is gutted that I missed it. I've heard various funny stories about Shags and their tendancy to act strange at times and I would have loved to have had some first hand experience of this personally - particularly on my own patch.
But hopefully a happy ending for the bird, a fantastic local record and I will try to get the photos on here in the near future.

PS. I nearly headed this post "Shag near Long Stratton" but thought maybe not appropriate!! ;)

Last edited:
There was a small fragmented skein of 46 Pink-footed Geese over Long Stratton at 9.10 this morning, some of which flew south east and some north. Always a pleasure to hear the sound of wild north Norfolk over your own south Norfolk village.

Hi Steve, interestingly, I saw what was presumably the same birds as you heading purposefully S.S.E. over Wreningham. I wondered if they may have been heading back over to the continent, but presumably all "our" birds move back north through Scotland ? seeing as how they breed in Iceland & Greenland as opposed to Svalbard. Wishful thoughts of Spring no doubt prompting these musings !

I thought my Pink-footed Geese sighting this morning was a good local record but upon returning to the work unit this afternoon, one of my colleagues asked me if I could identify a bird that he had photographed on his post round in the middle of the road north of Fritton Common and just east of Long Stratton at around 11.00am. He thought it might be some kind of duck or goose as it had webbed feet.
I looked at the photograph and was gobsmacked when I saw it was an ADULT SHAG :eek!: in all its green finery. He actually had to shoo it off the road to saftey and it clamboured up and perched on top of a cut bramble patch where my colleague then took another photo.
Needless to say I headed straight out there to hopefully see it too, and my mate came with me.
Unfortunately it appeared to have gone and we could not find it despite a thorough search of the immediate area.
My collegue said the Shag didn't look like it was suffering in any way so I would like to think that it was just tired and flew off after having a rest bringing a happy end to the story and for that reason I am kinda glad not to have seen it. Also though, part of me is gutted that I missed it. I've heard various funny stories about Shags and their tendancy to act strange at times and I would have loved to have had some first hand experience of this personally - particularly on my own patch.
But hopefully a happy ending for the bird, a fantastic local record and I will try to get the photos on here in the near future.

PS. I nearly headed this post "Shag near Long Stratton" but thought maybe not appropriate!! ;)

An intriguing record, thanks for sharing. A recent bird report (Suffolk or Norfolk, I can't locate the exact year) references a Shag on a road I believe near Thetford.
Cheers,
Jim.

Anyone got any thoughts on the origin of the Richardsons Canada Goose on North Wootton Marshes? With Pinkies so sounding good to me already though do wonder if it's the Cley/Kelling bird...

It is the bird first seen in Lancs (with Pinks at Marshside) on in late Oct 2012
see: http://www.rarebirdalert.co.uk/RealData/gallery_show.asp?GalleryID=17830&fast_filter=6
and
http://www.ribbletoamazon.com/2012/10/a-fine-day-in-field.html
(last five pics)
In the field it showed the same moult contrasts in the wing coverts.
It looks like the Kelling bird is now in Lincolnshire.
cheers
Richard

Two frustrating photographic sessions at Salthouse Beach car park. Earlier, there were 11, then 12, then 13 Snow Buntings- the flock seemed to sunder, then reform today.

Interestingly 2 Skylarks were (briefly) down again. I saw 3 last week and couldn’t recall if I’d previously seen them by the seed- rather than in the field.

Apart from the dog-people (one couple who, demonstrating much thought and consideration, walked well around the flock), fisher-folk and ordinary rambling-dudes, the fieldcraft displayed by birders intent on photography was wonderful to behold- not !

I didn’t have a ball- so I took my seed home. For some reason, this made me ponder my own rations.

“Couldn’t eat burgers made from a horse
(Not coz it’s cruel, of course);
Nor lasagne, spaghetti
(I’d spew off the jetty),
E’en with a rich, covering sauce.

Suppliers must be quite a race
(But not like a jockey at pace)
To think we’re all clots,
Give us galloping trots,
Then be saddled with huge, legal case.”

(Chicken stir-fry, tonight!)

Attachments

• 040PSE.jpg
    040PSE.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 084pse.jpg
    084pse.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 96
Hi Steve, interestingly, I saw what was presumably the same birds as you heading purposefully S.S.E. over Wreningham. I wondered if they may have been heading back over to the continent, but presumably all "our" birds move back north through Scotland ? seeing as how they breed in Iceland & Greenland as opposed to Svalbard. Wishful thoughts of Spring no doubt prompting these musings !

Hello Rob.

Glad to hear you had them too. By the time they got to me they were anything but purposeful in their flight and seemed disorientated. I guess they were a disjointed winter flock trying to get their bearings again. Talking of early spring movements - its almost time for the Bewick's to start heading back east over central Norfolk so something imminent to look forward to.

Best wishes

Steve.

An intriguing record, thanks for sharing. A recent bird report (Suffolk or Norfolk, I can't locate the exact year) references a Shag on a road I believe near Thetford.
Cheers,
Jim.

My pleasure Jim.

My work colleague was really on the ball and has already printed me a couple of shots from the original photos. I will submit them to the records commitee. I vaguely remember the Thetford bird and there was another wandering the streets of Ipswich many years ago. The incident which I will always remember the most was the story of a group of Shags which I believe went into double figures that crash-landed in someones inland garden!!

Steve.

The incident which I will always remember the most was the story of a group of Shags which I believe went into double figures that crash-landed in someones inland garden!!
Steve.

I seem to remember that Dawn Balmer at the BTO mentioned that someone who phoned in about them being in the garden pond and wanted them identified; whoever went out to do so was convinced the birds would be Cormorants, but became rather excited to find that they weren't!
MJB

Shingle Buntings

Only 2 Snowbies on view at Salthouse this afters. It took an inordinate amount of time to locate them, as I was looking far too far away.

Earlier, 2 pairs of Bullfinches were equally unobtrusive at Walsey.

Attachments

• 029pse.jpg
    029pse.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 112
Good duck day

Everything seemed to go my way today for a change and to begin with, I was one of the lucky few who managed to get onto the Green-winged Teal early this morning before it disappeared into the masses of wildfowl present at Breydon Water. Hopefully it will hang around for those that missed it to catch up with it another time.
Popped into Ranworth broad late morning and I have never seen this site so quiet in winter. It was verging on spectacular in its lack of birds with literally just 11 Teal and two Great Crested Grebes present. Guess everthing was on a day trip to Breydon!
Lucked onto the female Ferruginous Duck along Cockshoot Dike this afternoon. It was keeping close into the bank among the vegetation and was wary. I somewhat surprisingly and disappointingly lost it quite quickly. The approach road down to Horning Ferry is flooded. For anyone visiting, it is probably better to wade down on foot rather than risk driving.
Nearby Salhouse Broad turned up a fine drake Scaup which showed very well and was the bird of the day. It was slighty oiled on the breast and belly which probably explained its presence here but it wasn't too severe and the bird was very active at times and seemed in good spirit so it should be ok.

Last edited:
Norfolk bird records

I wonder if anyone with a library of Norfolk Bird Reports can help me. On the 7th June 2002 whilst watching the long-staying male Common Rosefinch at Weybourne I happened to scan the brambles to the west of the car park and came across a female Red-backed Shrike which the rest of the observers on site also saw. It was late afternoon and i understand the bird wasnt seen the following day. I never submitted the record (I am more clued up now!) but I have recently started wondering if anyone else did or whether the record is lost.

Yep it made it into the report, listed as being present on the 7th and 8th June.

I wonder if anyone with a library of Norfolk Bird Reports can help me. On the 7th June 2002 whilst watching the long-staying male Common Rosefinch at Weybourne I happened to scan the brambles to the west of the car park and came across a female Red-backed Shrike which the rest of the observers on site also saw. It was late afternoon and i understand the bird wasnt seen the following day. I never submitted the record (I am more clued up now!) but I have recently started wondering if anyone else did or whether the record is lost.

According to the 2002 report, "The recent dearth of spring records continued with just a single female Weybourne June 7th/8th." So yes, it made it and was apparently seen the next day after all.

Wild Goose Chase!

See blog for details on 'goose';) and full account

Peregrine and Merlin at Lynn Docks. Red Kite over A148 at 1.15pm near Houghton Hall turn off. Water Rail, tons of Bramblings and 3 Common Buzzards at Sculthorpe Moor Nature Reserve.

Penny:girl:

A handful of Lesser Redpolls downstream of the Wensum Lodge Hotel, Fakenham this morning - one looking quite out of place as it foraged amongst the bankside vegetation before returning to the "norm" of alder trees.

1200% increase !

The Snow Bunting flock at Salthouse increased to around two dozen, today. Not that this made for more settled photography, mind you.

Between Morston & Stiffkey Fen, a ringtail Hen Harrier drifted west, fast on the wind, mid-a’noon.

Attachments

• 029pse.jpg
    029pse.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 97
  • 059pse.jpg
    059pse.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back