• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (21 Viewers)

If that reported Pacific swift really is normal swift sized with a white rump (ie not Little Swift type), then White-rumped Swift is probably more possible than Pacific in these winds..especially as one has just been reported in Sweden...

At 12:00 John Charman & I were on the footpath west of bacton Gas Terminal looking at Lapland Buntings, when I spotted a swift over the cliff edge heading NW, basically toward us. We were 250-300m from the cliff edge finding it really hard to stand still in the buffetting wind. We noted a pacific-type white rump patch on the bird as it got level with us. We got really nothing else in the 20-30 seconds it was in view. Unfortunately it just continued on its way NW, leaving us to rue what its true id was ...
Cheers

Geoff

Winterton

A brief but productive visit to Winterton this morning after the downpour :-O After several failed attempts during the week for the Shore Lark it was nice to get good views this morning and the Pallas's was a bonus :t: We had some wonderful clear views of it but a bugger to photograph!

Attachments

• Shore Lark, Winterton, 131027_1.jpg
    Shore Lark, Winterton, 131027_1.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Shore Lark, Winterton, 131027_3.jpg
    Shore Lark, Winterton, 131027_3.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 103
  • Pallas's Warbler, Winterton, 131027_1.jpg
    Pallas's Warbler, Winterton, 131027_1.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 231
Sharking for Albatross information........

So whilst the south west gears up for a potential arrival, what can we expect here in Norfolk? Perhaps localised movements of Crossbill and Redpoll? Saying that, the Pallas's at Winterton today was unexpected given the winds.

Cheers,
Jim.

A brief but productive visit to Winterton this morning after the downpour :-O After several failed attempts during the week for the Shore Lark it was nice to get good views this morning and the Pallas's was a bonus :t: We had some wonderful clear views of it but a bugger to photograph!

Smashing pics, that's what Autumn birding is about!

Jim.

WOW!!!! Stunning pictures:t::t::t:

Sharking for Albatross information........

So whilst the south west gears up for a potential arrival, what can we expect here in Norfolk? Perhaps localised movements of Crossbill and Redpoll? Saying that, the Pallas's at Winterton today was unexpected given the winds.

Cheers,
Jim.

Is it not being considered the same bird as recent one, previous?

Kieran

Up with the lark

A brief but productive visit to Winterton this morning after the downpour :-O

I took advantage of the clock going back to head straight to Winterton to look for the shore lark.
On spec...

News broke of a pallas's warbler at Hermanus. Bagged my third pallas's in a fortnight: after none since 2010.

Sheltered with two locals, one being the finder, under trees as the rain started. Headed off in relatively light rain across the dunes to the beach. One bird seen on the beach 400 yards south of car park - the shore lark!

Had to shelter by the dunes when the heavy rain started. Put news out when rain stopped and mobile signal obtained. Could not relocate the shore lark myself - must have sheltered in the dunes as well!

Albatross

Anyone know who the lucky birder/s was who saw the Black-browed Albatross? How exciting that must have been!:t:

I heard the report of an possible distant albatross and who reported it - Ian Smith.
Put my lunch away and walked across Winterton dunes to look out to sea - on the off chance.

No sign.
No gannets in the morning but plenty, of all age ranges, in the early afternoon.
No albatross amongst them alas!
  • Female marsh harrier flew in off pm.
  • 40, mostly juvenile, common scoter close offshore but no velvets with them, morning and afternoon.
  • Excellent views of the pallas's warbler - loyal to the trees below Hermanus.

Last edited:
Anyone know who the lucky birder/s was who saw the Black-browed Albatross? How exciting that must have been!:t:

Was seen by a number of observers around the Overstrand/Cromer area, and at a great distance apparently from W Runton heading out to sea.

Yellow-browed calling in the garden this afternoon then headed up towards woodland.

Anybody hear any rumour of a yellow/orange billed Tern this pm past Cley coastguards?

John
www.kellingnature.zenfolio.com

Titchwell October 29th

Today's highlights

Shorelark - 2 reported at Thornham Point @ 11:30
Snow bunting - 1 on beach
Whooper swan - 7 on fresh marsh
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Goosander - 1 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh

Paul

Long Eared Owl sat in the middle of the road just outside Barton Turf. Stopped the car and watched it for a good couple of minutes before it flew off. Similar views of the same species a couple of years ago at Smallburgh.

Long Eared Owl sat in the middle of the road just outside Barton Turf. Stopped the car and watched it for a good couple of minutes before it flew off. Similar views of the same species a couple of years ago at Smallburgh.

Very nice. What sort of time? If you see it again, do let me know!

Cheers,
Jim.

Im proper jealous( I left "jel" back in Essex) at that great sight mate! A bird I've yet to see and a target bird for the near future once i find some time.

Last edited:
A few of the Pallid Swift at Trimingham and Cromer – loads more now on my blog HERE

Penny:girl:

1 & 2 at Cromer. 3 & 4 at Trimingham.

Attachments

• IMG_7475 crop.jpg
    IMG_7475 crop.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_7689 crop.jpg
    IMG_7689 crop.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7311 crop.jpg
    IMG_7311 crop.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 120